Official Review: You can, you can! by Lawrence P. Bestmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Call me Mary . . . by Evelyn Cole

Official Review: You can, you can! by Lawrence P. Bestmann

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 04 May 2019, 04:27

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You can, you can!" by Lawrence P. Bestmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“A teacher affects eternity. He can never tell where his influence stops.” Henry Adams

You can, you can! by Lawrence P. Bestmann is a multipurpose children’s book that enhances both the reading abilities and vocabulary, as well as the motor skills of young readers.

A 7-year-old boy named Binky has a “clumsiness” which causes him to avoid playing with other kids, lest they would reject him or laugh at him due to his incoordination. He encounters a frog named “Fred,” who guides him into a stepwise approach to exercise without falling, in order to exceed his expectations and to not be afraid of judgment or failure. Fred also leads him to his coach, coach Ikan Kanyoo, who trains both animals and humans.

The book has two parts: the story itself, and the exercises. Hence, it’s a booster for both. The target audience is young readers to Grade 2. The author explains how to get the most out of the book. It is best read with educators, parents or a big sister/brother if parents are not around. The significance of the presence of an older person is to help the kid learn new words. Besides, adults could use some exercise, too!

I found the writing style to be clear, smooth, and appropriate for the intended age group. Children can relate to it because it touches on issues they face on a daily basis at school. Furthermore, the photos of Binky are pleasant, and the illustrations are joyful and representative.

I liked the sense of appropriateness and the kindness incorporated into the dialogue. Take a look, “My name is Fred. I may be a little overweight as anyone can certainly see, but donʼt ever call me Fat Fred. I donʼt like it. Fred or Freddy is okay. You can even call me Green, but donʼt talk about my plumpness, please.”

On a related note, I was enthralled by the encouraging messages and the emphasis that learning should be “fun.”

Moreover, I was impressed by the inclusion of new words along with their meaning in the dialogue. Here’s an example, “He was a “hindrance”, meaning he didnʼt help his playmates win.”

Also, “Whatʼs confident?” Binky asked. “Sure of yourself, son.” answered the coach. “Knowing that you can do a thing well."

The only thing I disliked was to see the book end; I turned the last page waiting for more. How I would love to see Binky’s adventures made into a series!

On a side note, the author is a physical educator who has taught all levels from preschool through the doctoral level. His extensive expertise and passion are evident, and they show in the smooth and caring approach to kids, as well as the reinforcement of their sense of accomplishment.

I recommend obtaining this book in every home, and I believe it would appeal to a wide range of readers. The motivation and positive values, the enjoyable dialogue, the rich words, and the series of hops, of course, make for this an excellent children’s book and an asset for adults, as well. The impeccable editing rendered it virtually error-free and a delight to read. I am, therefore, thrilled to rate You can, you can! by Lawrence P. Bestmann 4 out of 4 stars.

On a final note, Bestmann’s following sentence has become my 7-year-old little girl’s favorite when she wants to encourage herself, “You can do it if you try, you can, you can!”

You can, you can!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 05 May 2019, 14:51

This sounds like a cute book for kids. I like that it the story emphasizes perseverance which is an important skill to have. Great review!

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 05 May 2019, 17:58

Thank you! It is, indeed, a valuable addition to every home's library.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Meg98 » 05 May 2019, 21:22

Nice review! This seems like a very charming story; I like the fact it includes exercises and not just a story, as that is very unique these days with children's books. It's important for younger ones to be learning lessons as well as being able to enjoy the journey of reading. Thank you for sharing your thoughts:) very well written review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 06 May 2019, 00:00

Meg98 wrote:
05 May 2019, 21:22
Nice review! This seems like a very charming story; I like the fact it includes exercises and not just a story, as that is very unique these days with children's books. It's important for younger ones to be learning lessons as well as being able to enjoy the journey of reading. Thank you for sharing your thoughts:) very well written review!
Thank you for the kind words. Hope you enjoy it.

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Agnes098 » 06 May 2019, 04:10

So Binky was already isolating himself before he was even rejected by his friends. Shame

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Explore Experience Evolve
Bookshelf Size: 722
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Dimensions of a New Civilization by Andrew Masuku

Post by Kibetious » 06 May 2019, 04:34

This is a great book. It is true that during the early stages of development, at times kids fear stepping out due to fear of the unknown such as rejection or ridicule from friends. I am glad that this book is there to motivate kids not to fear. Thanks for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 06 May 2019, 05:30

Kibetious wrote:
06 May 2019, 04:34
This is a great book. It is true that during the early stages of development, at times kids fear stepping out due to fear of the unknown such as rejection or ridicule from friends. I am glad that this book is there to motivate kids not to fear. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the insight! Well-said. :tiphat:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Dragon Sky by Laurie Woodward

Post by kandscreeley » 06 May 2019, 10:49

This sounds like a really nice children's book. However, I wonder if the cover should be spruced up a bit. Looking at it, I though it was a self-help book. It's not really for me, and I have no kids. So, I'll pass. Thanks, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 06 May 2019, 11:11

I appreciate your comment. The cover in the copy I reviewed is colored and vivid, unlike the black and white version displayed here.

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by juliusotieno02 » 06 May 2019, 22:05

I love the way you introduced this book. It reminds me of the books i used to read when i was about 9 to improve my grammar. Thanks for your nice review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 07 May 2019, 02:50

juliusotieno02 wrote:
06 May 2019, 22:05
I love the way you introduced this book. It reminds me of the books i used to read when i was about 9 to improve my grammar. Thanks for your nice review.
Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by daviddawud » 09 May 2019, 14:03

I'm sure my little niece will love to read this book. I specifically love that it has exercises.Thank you for providing this wonderful review.

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by daviddawud » 09 May 2019, 14:06

I'm sure my little niece will love to read this book. I specifically love that it has exercises and that it was clearly written .Thank you for providing this wonderful review.

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 11 May 2019, 00:36

daviddawud wrote:
09 May 2019, 14:06
I'm sure my little niece will love to read this book. I specifically love that it has exercises and that it was clearly written .Thank you for providing this wonderful review.
Thank you so much. I hope you will all enjoy it.

Return to “Children's Books”