Official Review: Space Patrol! by Sarah Nicole Nadler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Hallowed Ground
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: sh*t by O Persaud
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Space Patrol! by Sarah Nicole Nadler

Post by sarahmarlowe » 21 Apr 2019, 07:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Space Patrol!" by Sarah Nicole Nadler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Space Patrol! by Sarah Nicole Nadler is an entertaining journey from Earth to deep space and back. The main characters are diverse teenagers and aliens, and I enjoyed reading about all of them. Nadler indicates she wrote this book to help youth understand slavery, particularly modern-day human trafficking. I think she has provided a useful weapon in the fight.

As the book begins, Lissa and Stephanie are living in a boarding school in Switzerland when they are captured by space pirates. The girls find themselves on a spaceship equipped with compartments designed to hold creatures from across the galaxy, including humans. Their captors are slave traders, and they are on their way to a sale. Lissa, smart and determined, takes advantage of situations around her and does more than just escape. She frees others, and they fight an organization that thrives on money generated by selling sentient beings.

Space Patrol! is a young adult steampunk novel. I loved the combination of cool steam-powered contraptions with advanced space technology. The slave ship is actually a space-worthy galleon! Nadler does a great job creating alien life forms, her descriptions vivid and imaginative. I could also picture the different space ships and worlds that they visited. My favorite descriptions in the book were probably those of costumes, from Lissa’s steampunk outfit (complete with Converse tennis shoes) to the indigenous clothing of the other captured Earthlings from Ethiopia and Kazakhstan. The author also does a good job of describing the action on the ship so that the reader can follow, but there is not so much that readers will get bogged down in intricate details.

Unfortunately, this book is not well-edited. There were several editing mistakes, including misspelled words and punctuation issues. There are also issues with details. The principal character, Lissa, is described as an eleven-year-old four times and a fourteen-year-old five times. And, there is one random illustration in the book. It is placed near the end and seems completely out of place. Details like this certainly should have been caught and corrected prior to publication. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, taking one star for editing issues.

I recommend this book for audiences young adult and older who enjoy space operas and steampunk novels. I also recommend it to parents and teachers who would utilize it to discuss the evils of slavery past and present with their children. This book contains some adult language and violence, but there are no sexual situations and no gore. One of the characters is a creepy, lecherous man who makes females feel uncomfortable by the way he looks at them. I think that both girls and boys should be taught to recognize that feeling as an innate warning sign.

I appreciate the fact that this book is written to help tweens and teens learn about the ugly business of human trafficking. The author does a great job of introducing what slavery is. But she goes beyond that and includes people who run these trafficking rings without consideration of the harm they are causing to people. If you are interested in knowing more about the problems of human trafficking, including both sex trafficking and labor trafficking, you may want to check out www.PolarisProject.org and www.ijm.org.

Space Patrol!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 23 Apr 2019, 08:23

Wow! I love that the author took such an important topic and made it into a fictional novel for young adults to enjoy. This is something that really needs to be addressed, and I think it's important for teenagers to be aware of those around them as well. I hope this novel helps with that! Thanks so much for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Last Day of Regret by Matthew J Diaz

Post by Cecilia_L » 23 Apr 2019, 12:27

This book reminds me of a similar book I read set in a different time period; it was also a YA about space travel but it dealt with the civil rights movement. I enjoyed your interesting review and the similarities caught my attention.

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: surreal estate by sugar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 23 Apr 2019, 13:22

LOVE steam-punk themes. This is cool that it's for children, but such a let down about the editing.

Every time I see your sausage dog it melts my heart. Too cute.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 23 Apr 2019, 17:07

kandscreeley wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 08:23
Wow! I love that the author took such an important topic and made it into a fictional novel for young adults to enjoy. This is something that really needs to be addressed, and I think it's important for teenagers to be aware of those around them as well. I hope this novel helps with that! Thanks so much for the review.
Thank you for stopping by! Yes, I was thrilled to find this book. I work with people who are trying to stop trafficking every day. I would love to see more books like this.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 23 Apr 2019, 17:08

Cecilia_L wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 12:27
This book reminds me of a similar book I read set in a different time period; it was also a YA about space travel but it dealt with the civil rights movement. I enjoyed your interesting review and the similarities caught my attention.
That sounds like another great read! I think books like this have so much more teaching potential than standard textbooks. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 23 Apr 2019, 17:10

Bianka Walter wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 13:22
LOVE steam-punk themes. This is cool that it's for children, but such a let down about the editing.

Every time I see your sausage dog it melts my heart. Too cute.
Thank you for stopping by! Yes, I enjoy steampunk, too. And this author doesn't overdo it, which I have seen in some books.

Aw. Thanks for the doggie comment. My family and I love our doxies!
sarahmarlowe

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Post by Prisallen » 23 Apr 2019, 18:19

It certainly is a worthwhile goal to teach about slavery, and it sounds as if it was done in an interesting way. Great review!

nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Once An Insider, Now Without a Church Home by Amanda Farmer

Post by nooregano » 23 Apr 2019, 22:38

What an interesting premise for a steampunk novel, I can't say I've heard of any book like this before. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, sarahmarlowe, and I wish that it was better edited to you'd have enjoyed it more!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Watch Her Shine by Deborah Henry

Post by gen_g » 24 Apr 2019, 01:51

For me, steampunk is such a fascinating topic! It sounds like you really enjoyed the book, but it's a pity about the editing errors. Still, I'm glad that there is a lesson on human trafficking to be learnt. Thanks for the great review!

Villa_ro
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-villa-ro.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Villa_ro » 24 Apr 2019, 02:00

Nice review! I like the overview of the story. Indeed, human trafficking is a very bad activity.

Michgal 32
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 » 24 Apr 2019, 04:56

This sounds like a great way of talking about modern day slavery. Great review.

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 138
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Shooting Europe by Simon Potter

Post by Bluebird03 » 24 Apr 2019, 14:44

It sounds like this book offers some very timely lessons for young adults (and others). The editing is a disappointment though. Thank you for an excellent review! :)

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 24 Apr 2019, 15:40

I like the fact that Lissa was such a strong female character. Also, that the book was thematic. Some issues get less attention than others. Nice job on the review!

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 25 Apr 2019, 04:27

The 'space theme' did not caught my curiousity that much for I am not a fan of aliens or anything like it. However, I appreciate the broadness of your review.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Return to “Children's Books”