Official Review: Popo and His New Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: In an Absent Dream
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Official Review: Popo and His New Home

Post by hsimone » 15 Mar 2019, 11:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Popo and His New Home" by Bella Sou&Ava Sel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Following the themes of animal love and adoption, readers follow a small family as they adopt a cute and fluffy dog named Popo. Authors Bella Sou and Ava Sel have co-written the children’s book, Popo and His New Home, as the first in a five-part series following Popo and his adventures.

Six-year-old Rudy has always wanted a dog, so for her upcoming birthday she asks her parents one. To her delight, a furry friend is added to their family.

My favorite aspect of the story was the exposure to theme of adoption and the joy that dogs can bring to a family. There was even a page where the concept of looking online for adoption was touched upon, which I found very realistic because that is how I found my dog.

Illustrator Darzi Razie does a nice job in creating pictures to accurately portray the story’s plot. The only exception would be on Kindle location 13, where it states that Popo can make people laugh, while the illustration features a group of dogs laughing. That specific page is adorable, so children may not mind the mistake. It was an exceptional choice to include a diverse group of people who attended Ruby’s birthday. As someone who is nearsighted, I even appreciated seeing the amount of people wearing glasses at Rudy's party.

Though the characters weren’t developed too well, the idea of a child wanting a dog for his/her birthday is a relatable concept, I'm sure, to many children. Unfortunately, the writing was somewhat stiff and lacking in vocabulary. For example, the specific breed of Popo wasn’t mentioned and there weren't very many higher-level words included. In addition, there were a handful of mistakes, which in a short children’s book could be problematic for children to see as they learn by example.

Popo and His New Home is a quick, sweet book that I’m sure many children would enjoy reading. The illustrations were fun and the themes were great to explore, but due to the stiff writing and the errors, I give this children’s book a 3 out of 4 stars. It would be best suited for toddler to preschool-aged children to read with an adult.

Popo and His New Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Once An Insider, Now Without a Church Home by Amanda Farmer

Post by nooregano » 19 Mar 2019, 19:58

With some more detailing, it seems like the book would've been perfect! Thanks for this insightful review, and have a great day!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

0017meow
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Magical house for sale
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by 0017meow » 20 Mar 2019, 04:34

This book really suitable for children because of the happy and light theme brought up in it. The moral values also easy to absorb from the view point of kids . Yes, there are many grammar mistakes but children really can't see and understand grammar I dare say... But it will be perfect with a good grammar because their parents usually buy things for them and some parents really strict.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 20 Mar 2019, 07:33

I think that children's books should always challenge a child's vocabulary somewhat. So it's too bad this doesn't do that. Still, I love the idea of discussing adoption of pets with kids. I know they would love it, too! Thanks so much for this one!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 » 20 Mar 2019, 14:25

I think the storyline is great as it will encourage children to want to adopt animals from shelters or rescue centres instead of just buying one. Also, illustrations in children's' books are just the best. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:

Adedayo+23
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Of Wolves & Sheep by S. E. Meyer

Post by Adedayo+23 » 29 Mar 2019, 15:01

The review made me smile. Sounds like a lovely book, stiff vocabulary and errors aside. Hopefully, the author will appreciate constructive criticism and make adjustments accordingly. Thanks for an insightful review.

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Janelle Juncos » 13 Apr 2019, 07:59

I adopted my pupper after seeing him online! Stiff writing is hard to get over, even in a children's book. As the parent of a toddler, I know that if I don't enjoy reading the book I'm going to steer her toward something else. Thanks for the review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 16 Apr 2019, 15:20

What a great idea for a book! I also adopted a rescue puppy from an online adoption agency. It is wonderful that adoption is touched upon, as there are so many animals that need homes.
Great review!

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 682
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Love's The Only House by Debra Godsee

Post by Kibetious » 06 May 2019, 04:59

I love the fact that book was fun to read and that it has many great themes in it also. I would love to read this book too soon. Thanks for the great review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Children's Books”