Review by mmm17 -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review by mmm17 -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Will of The Hill" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will of The Hill, written by Marshall Cobb, is about the life and adventures of a captivating little fellow named Will, who loves comic books and faces some of the typical issues of a boy in fifth grade, which include secrets, best friends, rivalries, squabbles, and questioning rules and authority. With a subtle touch of the unusual – and a looming conspiracy theory I am not going to give away – the book was surprisingly enjoyable. I actually read it in just one sitting.

Will attends The Hill School, which is the only one in town. It has students all the way up to the 12th grade. His best friend Dillon’s striking looks and bold personality make a gripping counterpoint to Will’s introverted and bashful nature. This contrast allows for an engaging plot. Being friends since they were two years old, Will and Dillon share a love for comic books and a great aversion to chores. Also, they form a united front against their difficult classmate Gertrude – referred to as Intrude due to her forceful and annoying temperament. The better part of the book involves a threat Gertrude makes to Will, and that also has to do with Dillon. But no spoilers are allowed!

The author’s prose is at the same time elegant and witty. Although the book is intended for children, I believe it is a good read for adults as well. Remarks such as “Ms. Early, who had no kids of her own and did not appear to like children” and “the difference between a 25-year-old man and 40-year-old man was lost on Will’s 10-year-old brain” really amused me. In my opinion, they make Will of The Hill appealing to grown-up readers, too.

Additionally, I found Mr. Claussen, a newly hired math teacher, to be an especially interesting character. He is the archetype of the nerdy adult who poses weird and uncommon questions to kids. I have the impression he could be further developed and play a bigger role in a future adventure.

Finally, I rate Will of The Hill 4 out of 4 stars. It seems to be professionally edited, and I did not find any errors in it. I would definitely recommend it to pre-adolescent children, as well as to their parents and teachers. Also, I feel it is the kind of story that’s fun and pleasurable to be read by a parent to a child at bedtime. On the other hand, young adults might not enjoy the book much.

Will of The Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mmm17's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”