Official Review: Gracie Saves the Day! by Catherine Gibson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Official Review: Gracie Saves the Day! by Catherine Gibson

Post by Tbunde5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gracie Saves the Day!" by Catherine Gibson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gracie is a typical tomboy. She loves her friends and family. And she loves baseball. She was even good enough to get picked for the boys’ team. But not everyone thinks that’s a good thing. The school bully, Penelope, constantly teases Gracie for being “one of the boys.” But in Gracie Saves the Day! by Catherine Gibson and Michael LaChance, Gracie stands strong with the help of her friends.

When Gracie’s friend Mary begs her to participate in the school dance contest, Gracie is hesitant. She really wants to help Mary, but dancing is pretty far outside her comfort zone. Give her a ball and glove any day. But a tutu? Her friendship, however, is stronger than her own misgivings, and Gracie agrees. With family and friends behind her, Gracie even starts to get a little excited. But there’s Penelope, in the shiniest tutu, trying once again to bring her down. Gracie needs to make the ultimate decision: What is the most important thing to her? Is it her own success? Is it her best friend? Or is it taking down the meanest girl in school?

Gracie Saves the Day! is a story of friendship, dedication, and finding out who you are. It deals less with bullying and more with how children can and should react to it. It also shows the importance of friendship and standing up for others. The themes in the book are universally important, especially in a world where so many girls are lacking self-esteem. The authors create a hero who is willing to be a little embarrassed in order for her friend to succeed. It also shows, through Joey, how friends should encourage one another and build each other up in the face of bullying or criticism. Joey’s encouragement to Gracie is a wonderful example for children of all ages:
“So what? You’re a team player and Penelope’s not. You’re
a friend no matter what people look like or what they wear.
We like you just the way you are.”
The book is formatted as a picture book, with wonderful full-page illustrations by Rebekah Phillips. It has 25 pages. Although the story will appeal to children, especially girls, in grades K-4, the independent reading level is closer to grades 3 and 4. It would, however, make a nice read-aloud for younger children. The authors include an activity guide at the end of the book, with project ideas and discussion points. As an elementary school teacher, this is a very helpful addition, and allows teachers (and parents) to really drive home the lessons portrayed in the book. It also allows the children to role play specific situations, enabling them to be better prepared for them in real life.

My only criticism is that there are several editing errors in the book, mostly regarding proper punctuation. For example:
“Hey, Gracie is a girl.” Said Mary.
While adults generally will read past such errors, books are the way young children learn to write well, and careful editing is a must. Otherwise the reader will assume the punctuation is correct. For this reason only, I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Gracie Saves the Day!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tbunde5's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The issues that the book addresses are very good and very important for sure. I believe Gracie had to choose friendship over the bullying. I hope that many will learn to accept themselves as they are as Gracie did.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

There are so many great lessons in this book. Everyone needs to try things outside of his comfort zone. That's how we discover new hobbies and talents. It can also be a way for children and teens to develop their self-esteem. If one can be happy doing something that is awkward or unfamiliar, one can succeed at so many things.

I also like the anti-bullying message here. Bullying can be more subtle than people realize. It doesn't have to include physical violence. I especially like that the authors include the role playing activities.

Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I completely agree! Grammar errors are extra noticeable in a children's book because children don't know the difference. We need to start children off on the right foot from a young age. Still, this sounds like a really great story. Maybe parents could direct the children about what is wrong with the grammar! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I like your review and makes me feel like I have known Gracie from somewhere in my past. Your review is well detailed and I already like Gracie's character. I also like your quote about Joey's encouragement to Gracie.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Yes, Gracie is quite the tomboy character that many of us can identify with. We are confronted with similar issues in our everyday lives just like her, therefore, we must learn to deal with them just like Gracie. Great review.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I absolutely love the cover of this book! The illustrations are so sweet. The message also sounds very relevant to what kids are going through these days. Your review and synopsis of the theme of the book reminded me of my own experience growing up as a girl. I didn't want anything to do with wearing a dress, and I loved playing softball. In gym class, I was too good to play with the girl's team, so they put me on the boy's team! It does make a person feel like they stick out as different and maybe not as feminine as what we are supposed to be. But, I like how you described how the authors use this situation to teach kids that not everyone is going to fit perfectly into a mold. Thank you for your review. You did a great job explaining the highlights of this book.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a great book - I hope they think about bringing out a revised edition.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like such a great book, too bad there were some errors in it keeping you from giving it 4 stars.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A children's book that teaches them how to react to bullying is a smart approach. It seems very useful for the era we live now. I also like that it teaches children not to care only about themselves but also care and do things for their friends. Thanks for this enthusiastic review!
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

You gave this book a thorough review and I compliment you for that. As you are a teacher, it is very thoughtful of you to address not only the important themes of the book but also the proper use of punctuation marks. It is indeed should be thought as early as when the children start writing and reading.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

Sounds like the authors really tried to address serious issues, bringing it to a young demographic through this way is so important. Thank you for such a thorough review.
skalowag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by skalowag »

Good review, this book is advisable to children as well as adults it tackles problems as well as solutions and with the help of friendship, all ends well
a_jerobon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by a_jerobon »

Wow! I love children's books and this one is my best. Gracie is the best example of what a girl child should be. She considers her friend over herself, she is strong despite being bullied by Penelope and also she is willing to sacrifice for others. Thank you for your good review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a lovely book to teach the very young about friendship! I hope the author can remedy the editing issues to make the book a real winner.

Return to “Children's Books”