Official Review: The Next Door Raghu by Biju Vasudevan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Official Review: The Next Door Raghu by Biju Vasudevan

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Next Door Raghu" by Biju Vasudevan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Next Door Raghu is a children's book written by Biju Vasudevan. The story centers around a five-year-old Raghu (commonly called little Raghu), who was born and raised in Rourkela. As the book opens, Raghu and his father, Gopal, are on their way to "Public School of Rourkela", where Raghu will take an admission test. While at this school, Raghu made a lot of friends, such as Rahul, Asit, Raunak, Manoj and Rajiv. Being a nature lover, little Raghu wanted to view the paradise beyond the school wall. However, this was not possible as students were not allowed to wander out of the school premises. How will he ever be able to get through the wall?

Meanwhile, Raghu's mother, Shanti, was on the mission of revenge against the neighbourhood ladies, who thought that her son was the incompetent nincompoop and a good for nothing child who deserved no other name than "The Next Door Raghu." The question is, what triggered the women to have these kinds of thoughts for a mere five-year-old child? What kind of revenge will Shanti deliver to these women?

Raghu was not just an ordinary little man. He had a rare and unique talent. It was because of this talent that Raghu knew his results the same day he took an entrance examination. It was also because of this talent that he represented the state of Odisha and the nation of India.' And, it was, yet again, this talent that made him a national hero, an international celebrity and the brand ambassador for institutions like UNESCO and UNICEF.

Although The Next Door Raghu is classified as a children's book, it is not written in a simple language that children can read on their own. For example, "Raghu had gone to the school, fully prepared to be subjugated by a tyrannical regime, consisting of hordes of psychopathic teachers in preponderous classrooms." Some children will not be able to spell some of the words in this sentence, let alone to understand the meaning. I found the terms unfavourable for a story of a five-year-old boy with children as the target audience. Even though young adults might enjoy the book, and parents might be readers for children to do the same, the visit to the dictionary will be inevitable.

I have learned a lot through this book. Though Raghu's family was praying to as many as seven Gods, with one of them being Goddess of wealth, they were still very poor. The story taught me one of the ways out of poverty. The book also contains lessons for children. For example, it effortlessly teaches boys good manners and gentlemanly conduct. When reading the book, I was able to connect well with the characters. Raghu's pain was described in the manner that made me flinch every time he had to get in the child basket. For example, "The steel rods pried further into his flesh, presumably in the search of a few pelvic bones of Raghu."

Like the blurb had promised, this children's book was indeed a fun read. The conversations between children were hilarious. What made me laugh out loud was the one between Raghu and Rahul on page 57. The book cannot only be enjoyed by children but also everyone with a good sense of humour. As a result, I rate The Next Door Raghu 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well-written book free of visible grammar errors.

The Next Door Raghu
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Khathibe's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Only problem I see is not knowing how to say the names. It sounds like a good book. I like the lesson to it. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The cover left me with the impression that this was an animated children's book. Judging by the excerpts you provided, I agree that the material is too sophisticated for young children. I, however, admire Raghu's determination.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Book Lover 35 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 20:29 Only problem I see is not knowing how to say the names. It sounds like a good book. I like the lesson to it. Thank you!
Yes, they won't know how to say the names. I should have put it that way. Thanks.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:

Mercy Bolo wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 03:11 The cover left me with the impression that this was an animated children's book. Judging by the excerpts you provided, I agree that the material is too sophisticated for young children. I, however, admire Raghu's determination.
It is indeed a fun read if teachers and parents become a helping hand. Thanks for passing by.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Seven gods? Wow, that does sound super interesting.
I really enjoyed your review - thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I don't mind reading this children's book as it has promised to a book filled with humor. However, the level of vocabulary of a lot of children may not be as high as the one in this book, hence making it difficult for them to read. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

An error-free book is hard to come by sometimes, and it's great that this is one of those. This also seems like both an entertaining yet inspiring read, which is a rare combination. Thank you for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like an entertaining read. I'm intrigued why grown up neighborgood ladies would gang up against a five year old! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Being an Indian, I guess I can relate to the situations.
Thank you for the detailed review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It does seem like the vocabulary is over the heads of young children. The plot sounds so intriguing, though. Your review is very appealing to readers! Thanks.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Oh my, the vocabulary does seem a bit advanced. An interesting sample sentence you provided, but more appealing for older children who would be familiar with those words. I can't imagine what would make the neighbors turn against a five-year-old. I'm quite curious about that.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice book. There is a lot to be learned from Raghu especially how he is able to make friends quickly. His adventurous nature is captivating. It is also good to note that the conversations are humorous. This is a nice book and thanks for the review as well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With sentences like you mention, I'm not sure how children would be able to enjoy the story. By the time you explain the sentence, they will have forgotten what was going on. Still, it sounds interesting for adults, anyway. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It seems a nice book and a read which is more suitable for grownups. Thank you for the comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Children's Books”