Who is your favorite character in Prophase? (SPOILERS)

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Who is your favorite character in Prophase? (SPOILERS)

Post by Scott »

This is topic for the November book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street. Please do not read this topic until you have finished the book as this topic may contain spoilers.

Besides Piper, who was your favorite character in Prophase?

For me it would be either Esther or Lisa. Both are awesome characters. Esther was an awesome character just as the grandmotherly neighbor before she was revealed as Piper's mom. Lisa was an awesome best friend and very likable. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
moozie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by moozie »

Lisa! Who wouldn't want a friend like that? :lol:
Illustrator

Post by Illustrator »

Dev. Strong, Quite, and polite. What is not to like.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

My favorite character is Jazz. Pre-spoiler content Jazz. hehe. But I like animals. Esther I liked more in the beginning when she was a frail neighbor. Lisa was good the whole way through. And boy was Chris easy to dislike, what a tool. Then, I actually felt pretty sorry for Rob. I mean everything aside he was suffering from the loss of his wife and then stuck in an addiction with no one to try to help him other than his children.. who obviously wouldn't know how to help and became subsequent victims to the disease that plagued him. There is one scene where Piper leaves Rob to wallow in his own horrible aura where she doesn't give a care about him in the world... just really made me sad. I mean I understand where she is coming from, but I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a single shred of loving kindness left in her for the man who raised her. I mean she could have used her new found powers to help him instead of just batting him away, etc. Honestly, I don't have much faith in Piper as being some kind of savior at this point. She seemed very self involved. Though, that is probably something that will be addressed in the next book as her character develops.
I love LOVE. <3
Poly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Post by Poly »

You mean there were genuine characters rather than cardboard cutout caricatures? Must have missed the memo. Everyone can be summed up in one sentence, with information we are presented with as fact rather than seeing it in action. Even Piper has a character depth comparable to that of a puddle in Death Valley. This was my first book of the month, but if its quality is in any way indicative of future books, I'll get off the review team rather than having to suffer books like these.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

It is a YA, and I understand your frustration... I think a lot of people share your opinions in regards to 'easy reading' books. I'm surprised you finished reading it. And that is something you are allowed to do while a member of the review group... not finish reading a book as long as you explain why. So.... you should be fine. So there is some good news for you! You also get to choose your own books out of the list. Honestly, I look forward to seeing one of your reviews. Strongly opinionated people, while abrasive at times, definitely give some in depth and interesting perspectives. What is a book you liked that you've read recently? And maybe consider nominating something for a future book of the month.
I love LOVE. <3
Poly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Post by Poly »

I read Courting Greta a few weeks back, and it became one of my favourite books of all time. If you're interested, I wrote a non-review team review of it and posted it in the romance section of the forums. (I'd link, but I'm new)

PS: I'm new so I have to build up my reviewer score by participating in book of the month discussions. If I could have chosen, I wouldn't have read this 'book' at all.
moozie

Post by moozie »

Poly,
Thank you for making this discussion board interesting. Your 'review' was fascinating. Its good to get the 'half empty' view points to counter the many 'half full' view points. I love that a book can elicited the full gambit of responses! Personally I enjoyed the story. The visual colors and auras were captivating. I thought the book dragged in the middle, but kept me entertained the entire time.
Interestingly, have you read any works from Ayn Rand? Seems like that would be more to your liking?
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I like the cat when it was just the cat. Hahaha.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

Dev all the way for me!!!
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

ALynnPowers wrote:I like the cat when it was just the cat. Hahaha.
Lol, me too! I love cats and I was actually a little disappointed when Jazz became Dev.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
cfuller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cfuller.html
Reading Device: B00QA0TPPK

Post by cfuller »

I liked Jazz too when he was just a lovable cat!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
Lol, me too! I love cats and I was actually a little disappointed when Jazz became Dev.
Actually, it's funny because I KNEW he was something/someone... but I actually thought he might have been a completely new character that Piper would be in love with.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

ALynnPowers wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:
Actually, it's funny because I KNEW he was something/someone... but I actually thought he might have been a completely new character that Piper would be in love with.
I did have a feeling that there was more to Jazz than meets the eye, but it never occurred to me that he would become a potential love interest.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

LivreAmour217 wrote: I did have a feeling that there was more to Jazz than meets the eye, but it never occurred to me that he would become a potential love interest.
I bet you if we read it again, we would think it was super obvious! Like, when she would call him "my boy" or something... and they would snuggle together at night or something.

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”