Overall Rating and Opinion of "Prophase"

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.

How do you rate Prophase?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
19%
2 stars - fair, okay
5%
3 stars - good, recommend it
38%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
38%

Total votes: 21

kybunnies
Favorite Author: Richard Adams
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Eyewitness
Bookshelf Size: 3958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kybunnies.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4206

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Prophase"

Post by kybunnies »

I am not big on epic fantasy and I honestly do not think I could read the book. With an abusive and alcoholic father it is not something I want to read. After being married to an abusive alcoholic I personally know the book will have triggers that will take me back to a place I do not want to be.

Sorry I am sure it is a great book but it is just the type of problems I avoid in my reading.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I can't vote because I didn't read it. Sounds like YA/Fantasy, which is typically not what I read. I probably won't be rushing to read this.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It was a bit of a slow start for me but play on science, spirituality and art really brought it up. The descriptions wewere great, if it was made into a movie it is something I would definitely watch just to see how they brought all the imagery to life and how all the characters in,the story are represented. The ending I would have to say was the best part with all of the action, loss and gain and love. I am really looking for ward to reading the next novel and seeing how Piper develops into her character as her journey continues.
Poly
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Post by Poly »

1 star out of 4. Really poor book about nothing in general, but a couple of ultrasuper overpowered borderline invincible Mary Sues. Let's try to list the Princess' abilities, shall we?

-amplified beauty
-super strength
-super speed
-telekinesis
-ability to change and generate clothing at will
-flight
-mind control
-teleportation
-emotion sight(sorta like mind reading but weaker)
-near-immortality, extra long life
-shielding from a great deal of physical harm
-very vivid, 3D+smells interactive memory
-perfect recall
(Time spent acquiring and honing these skills? Couple of days at most, rendered in montages.)

Now what about her characteristics?

-She likes music

That's it. Character flaws? Insecurities/consequences due to having been raised adopted in an abusive home with a depressed alcoholic for a father? None. It's as if the writer dumped all this on her then had nothing of this impact on her character.
Seriously, nothing happens that perturbs the protagonist for more than a second. She's a godlike creature who basically takes a dump on the material world she lives in. Not feeling like working because she's curious about the new guy? no probs, just cancel your shifts! It's not like you can get fired for continually pulling that ***! Leaving little bro who she practically mothered up to that point alone with that failure of a father? Eh, he'll be fine! Hey, turns out I was adopted? Cool I get another Mom! Who by the by stood silent as Rob basically ruined two childhoods, explaining this by... I had to hide, honest! Who, I might add never, not even once acts as a responsible adult let alone a responsible mom.
I expected much more from the book of the month than no characters, a predictable plot, terrible pacing and no redeeming quality.

PS: The colors assigned to various emotions felt all wrong. Synesthesia as a gimmick was fun for about 4 minutes, them became nauseating.
Illustrator

Post by Illustrator »

Now what about her characteristics?

-She likes music

Hi Poly,

I'd like to add a few things I learned about Piper to the list.
_ She is a caregiver. (She doesn't begrudgingly care for Charlie. She throws herself in front of Rob to protect him)
_She is brave (See above)
_She cares about Rob. (Despite his aggressiveness she tries her best to keep him sated)
_She is not comfortable in the spotlight. (She is a reluctant lead singer who only does it for the love of it. Not bad for a bass player)
_She is not a part of the popular crowd and doesn't care.
_She love nature / animals (She spends a ton of time growing up in the woods to the point of knowing the seasons and vegetation by name)
_She is a great friend. (at least I think Lisa, Jade, Josh, Tess and Chris would vouch for her)
_She is intelligent (She does well in school and sees college of her way out)
_She is passionate (She has to pick up the pieces when Chris dumps her) (She freaks out nature when she tries telling Esther about her new love).
_She is content. (Despite the hard situation she finds herself in at a very young age her outlook is really good
_She is a planner. (She had the next 10 years planned out for her life)
_She is impulsive. (She makes the first move on Dev by grabbing him out of a classroom)
_She has a great sense of adventure. (bounding over trees like a rabbit, Leaping to exotic locations, Going to the dance stag.)

...and she like music.
Poly

Post by Poly »

Caregiver? Out of necessity. Note how she practically forgets Charlie in the second third of the book.
Brave? She has no alternatives, of course she'll choose the path of least resistance.
Cares about Rob? Hell no. She does her best to contain the beast and readily renounces him as a father the first chance she gets.
She's reluctant cause she didn't sign on as lead singer but as the bass player. Totally different roles.
Not a part of the popular crowd? In the beginning of the book it's shown that she's barely tolerated, but she is in fact included there. After that, she gets a crowd of brainless sycophants who basically treat her as a Messiah.
Love of nature? You mean she spent the least possible time indoors with an abusive drunk.
Great friend? PLEASE. Ignores Jade, Tess, wants Chris to just leave her alone, goes back on her promise to Lisa, doesn't speak to Josh beyond monosyllables.
Intelligent? Sorry but she spends all her classes daydreaming, and even forgets to write anything but her name on a pop quiz.
The listed examples do not make her passionate. The time she spends agonizing over Chris can be measured in hours.
Content? I didn't get that impression at all. She has no idea where her life is headed(more on that later), and basically gawks at everything that happens like a simpleton.
You mean she had plans which now are utterly ruined and she has no idea how to adapt to her new situation.
That is one occurrence. It is the exception rather than the rule.
Sense of adventure? I call that toying with her supermegaawesome Mary Sue powers.

Don't get me wrong, I had high expectations going into the book, but it's just sooo flat. I never thought I'd say this, but Piper is a bigger Mary Sue than Bella Swan is.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Sounds like a typical American teenager to me. A pretty accurate portrayal. So with that in mind... the writer did a great job. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
Poly

Post by Poly »

Except that she's also an unprecedented Messiah with a list of powers longer than Superman's
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

haha I know what you are saying about responsibility and all... but she wasn't raised knowing all that to have developed maturity around the idea. I find it incredibly interesting that you feel so strongly as to how someone would respond to that.... as if you know someone who has actually experienced such a thing. Also... all kinds of people in power end up doing immature and/or unlikable things. It isn't exactly a personality indicator... just a title. All kind of people were born to be King yet they were still spoiled brats. I agree that she is unlikable.. and if some serious character development doesn't happen in the next book.. then she will end up just like her brother.... that is probably part of the lessons of the book.
I love LOVE. <3
moozie

Post by moozie »

Wow, I must have read a different version of the book. :) Piper was very likeable!
Skillian

Post by Skillian »

haha she had her moments for sure. It is just personal taste haha. No offense Piper!
I love LOVE. <3
moozie

Post by moozie »

:) :) :)
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and thoughts of "Prohase." I wanted to read it, but due to other commitments and other books I was in the middle of reading. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Your thoughts helped me make the definite decision to put this book on my "to read" list.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
Poly

Post by Poly »

I reiterate: 1 star out of 4. The characters are shallow, with the protagonist being a giant Mary Sue, the plot is boring and predictable, the pacing erratic... It's clear that it aims to please the teenager demographic, but even read as easy reading young adult, its faults just overwhelm the reader. The book has no lasting impact, does not provoke thought, and in general reading it is a complete waste of time.
moozie

Post by moozie »

Awesome!!! we are reiterating!!! 4 stars for me! :D :D :D :D

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”