Overall Rating and Opinion of "Prophase"

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.

How do you rate Prophase?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
19%
2 stars - fair, okay
5%
3 stars - good, recommend it
38%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
38%

Total votes: 21

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall Rating and Opinion of "Prophase"

Post by Scott »

What are your overall opinions of the November book of the month Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street? What do you like most about the book? What do you like least? Would you recommend the book to others?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Illustrator
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Illustrator »

4 stars

excellent story, Amazing characters and plotlines
moozie

Post by moozie »

Enjoyed the play of science, art, and spirit. Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series. 4/4 stars.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Overall, I agree with the original reviewer's rating (3 out of 4). It was pretty good, and I would recommend it, but I wouldn't say it was perfect. I especially loved the "colorfulness" of the book. I kind of felt like I was in the middle of some weird rainbow explosion for most of the book, especially when it got to bits about flying and jumping and whatnot. It was neat in a psychedelic way, but I couldn't handle too much of it at once.

My biggest "problem" with the book was not necessarily something wrong with the story... it was just something that personally gets to me because I actually have experience in this exact area. Minor SPOILER ALERT. Starting now.
Piper was adopted. Interesting. I am also adopted.
Piper's adopted mother died when she was young. Interesting. My adopted mother also died when I was (relatively) young.
Piper discovered her biological mother. Interesting. I also know who my biological mother is.
In a very brief period of time after the discovery of her biological parents, Piper began calling her biological mother "Mom."
It's such a tiny point in the story that I am sure no one else even paid attention to. But as someone who was adopted, raised by a certain woman who later died, yet knows her biological mother, I could tell you that this would never happen. Not in a million years. I know her; I even like her; I kind of look like her; she's a great person, but I will never refer to the woman who didn't raise me as "Mom." She didn't earn that title. That's not a name you just throw around. Anyway, I will hop down from my soapbox concerning that minor point. But because of my personal connection with this, it really bugged me while I was reading.

That is all.
ToriOlesen

Post by ToriOlesen »

Loved reading this book! Took me in and swept me up for a wonderful ride in Piper's world. Was sad when it ended. Of course growing up in Oak Creek,Wisconsin was an added bonus. Like a beautiful trip back home without having to leave home! Cannot wait for more!
cfuller
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cfuller.html
Reading Device: B00QA0TPPK

Post by cfuller »

I haven't finished yet but am really enjoying this book. Not something I would normally choose. Thank you to this book club for helping me expand my choices!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

cfuller wrote:I haven't finished yet but am really enjoying this book. Not something I would normally choose. Thank you to this book club for helping me expand my choices!
I know the feeling! I probably wouldn't have discovered this book if not for the book club. I really like it! It was kind of trippy. 8)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. However, I thought that the story kind of lost steam toward the end. I don't really know how to describe this--when I first started reading it, I was really excited and couldn't put it down. But in the last 200 pages, my interest began to falter. I don't know why, perhaps it is because I am getting too old for YA? :)
This book was well-written, and I don't really have any gripes against it. Like I said, maybe I'm just getting old!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
moozie

Post by moozie »

By the way... This book would make an EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Overall, I thought it was pretty good. However, I thought that the story kind of lost steam toward the end. I don't really know how to describe this--when I first started reading it, I was really excited and couldn't put it down. But in the last 200 pages, my interest began to falter. I don't know why, perhaps it is because I am getting too old for YA? :)
This book was well-written, and I don't really have any gripes against it. Like I said, maybe I'm just getting old!
Nah, it's okay. I thought so too, and I love YA. I think it was just getting everything set up and in place for the next book... maybe?
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

ALynnPowers wrote: Nah, it's okay. I thought so too, and I love YA. I think it was just getting everything set up and in place for the next book... maybe?
Thanks for this! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. You make a good point, perhaps everything will make more sense in the second book. I wasn't going to read it (the next book), but now I am having second thoughts.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Eydnicsilliw

Post by Eydnicsilliw »

This was not a book I would typically read, but I enjoyed the book very much. Any time a book sweeps me into the story, I deem it a success! I loved the adventure!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
ALynnPowers wrote: Nah, it's okay. I thought so too, and I love YA. I think it was just getting everything set up and in place for the next book... maybe?
Thanks for this! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. You make a good point, perhaps everything will make more sense in the second book. I wasn't going to read it (the next book), but now I am having second thoughts.
I haven't decided if I want to read the second book! Maybe... eh.... as of right now... I think there are too many other books I want to read first. I haven't even checked... is the next book out yet?
Eydnicsilliw

Post by Eydnicsilliw »

I don't know if I will read the second book, but when I finished the first one, I wanted more. Sometimes though I must say, wanting more at that point is enough.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I just finished reading the book. It was very engaging from the get go. It did lull a little bit about 75% of the way through, but overall was enjoyable. I did get bogged down in all of the meeting of new people (and their descriptions), which didn't seem all that necessary, and the telling and over telling of the whole talent show and songs. But for a YA and just sheer entertainment to pass the day it was a good read. If it became a movie I would probably watch it just to see all of the vibrant imagery come to life.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”