Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.
PinchysPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Post by PinchysPages »

I'm a little gun shy after reading a poorly developed book last week. Your review makes me believe I'll just nitpick at the underdeveloped elements and not enjoy the book. Appreciate your honest review
Jeangray17
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Jeangray17 »

Prophase: A present tale is an interesting book. Life for orphans adolescent is not easy, specially is they have to live with an alcoholic father around. For Piper life is hard and more difficult when his boyfriend decided to break up with her. I would like to know how her live go on at the book. :techie-studyingbrown:
cim-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cim.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by cim- »

I read the sample but this review added a few things I didn't know, like the almost collision. I am putting this book on my want to read list.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

This sounds exciting. The cover made me think the book was about something completely different. Great job on the review. I am disappointed that some of the other beings won't be as detailed but it still sounds interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Madison Degraffenreid
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review! I agree that the development of major characters is essential to any novel. I'm interested in reading Prophase because I want to see how Piper's life changes with the revelation of her special abilities. She's been dealt an unfortunate set of cards. I'm excited to witness her growth as implied by the coming of age theme!
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I loved the illustrations in the sample and found it to be easy to get into the beginning of the book. I’d like to read this book. Good review!
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I loved the illustrations in the sample and found it to be easy to get into the beginning of the book. I’d like to read this book. Good review!
P4rple
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful Disaster series)</a>
Currently Reading: Hush Hush (Hush Hush Series)
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by P4rple »

This book sounds great! I wonder what the end will be like. Piper seems like a character that I would love. I hope to read this book soon!
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This does sound like a magical tale! I like the references to cell division, and I'm curious to see how this ties into the story...
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
RareBird-15
Currently Reading: Genocide of One
Bookshelf Size: 2935
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-living4god1991.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by RareBird-15 »

This book sounds really interesting! I'm definitely adding it to my reading list. The sample I read left me wanting more, so I might have to buy it. I can't imagine what it would be like to be like Piper, suddenly able to manipulate the essences of things around her, changing in ways she can't understand. It's disappointing when characters aren't as well-developed as you wish they were, but hopefully it doesn't detract too much from the story.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Piper's story is well written and inspirational. I could pick up a few tips from her. The sudden changes in her life will be interesting to read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
april_kaye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by april_kaye »

An interesting story, I think i'll enjoy this fantacy tale, thanks for the review :D :D
Victor musau
Currently Reading: Behind The Door
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by Victor musau »

Nice review on a book about relatable stories particularly to the teenagers with a twist of magic, science and super powers not to mention a great imagination. Thanks botd.
StephKn24
Currently Reading: The Piano Teacher
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephkn24.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by StephKn24 »

When an author is introducing the story and characters to a reader in the opening chapters of a book, sometimes the transitions between the fillers (that give the audience the background of the characters) and the events that are unfolding on the page are not seamless and unfortunately, that was my impression in the 2nd and 3rd chapters of Prophase: A Present Tale. The transition between the fillers and what is happening seemed a little clunky at first, but as the story progressed, it became a much smoother read.
A few notes on my introductory read:
---Mitchell’s description of Piper’s heartbreak after Chris broke up with her resonated with me on a personal note, I felt like Mitchell truly captured that horrible feeling of heartbreak and transcribed it well onto the page. This is especially applicable since the story is being told from the perspective of a teenage girl, where heartbreak can often mean not only the teenage girl’s world is being upended, but also a moment of growth.
---While Piper indicated that there were the customary cliques in the school she attended, conflict among the cliques was not apparent in the opening chapters. While this makes the story a touch unrealistic (aside from the fact that it is fantasy fiction), it offers a nice reprieve from reality where conflict between cliques can be a day-to-day disappointment.
---The opening of Piper's birth into the world and her love for nature are foreshadowing and interesting enough to pique my interest about what will emerge in her future.
The writing is fitting for teen literature and this is something I would definitely recommend for almost anyone who is interested in fantasy fiction.
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

Prophase: A Present Tale sounds like a fantastic book. I look forward to reading this young adult fantasy story. Thanks for th he lovely review.

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”