Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Discuss the November 2014 book of the month, Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Re: Featured Review: Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street

Post by CaitlinGonya »

This sounds like the X-Men and the new TV show, The Gifted. A coming of age story with evolution. The fact that they mention the science makes it even more intriguing, like Kathy Reichs' Virals series. I will check this out.
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Linnea Tanner »

Thank you for your in-depth review of Prophase: A Present Tale by Mitchel Street. With the book cover of a kitten, I was surprised that this was a fantasy. It is not clear from the review at to what type of magic Piper gains or the mystical world she discovers. Thus, I am reluctant to download if there isn't sufficient details on world-building which is alluded in the review.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I was feeling like I might give this one a try despite the magical element because it seemed like a good plot line until I read that the detail is lacking due to over stuffing. That would really bother me. This one is a maybe for me.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This was also BOTD on July 5, 2017. I know for sure because July 5 is my birthday and IIRC also that of the main character, Piper. She turns 18 that day, the day that her powers are to be given to her.

I have yet to get back to the book. But I am definitely interested.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Finally, a book that I can share and relate to! Thank you for this very detailed review. Cheers!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Wow! This sounds really interesting. I can't wait to read this coming-of-age novel about a teenage girl with extraordinary powers.
KatyJS
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 548">Black Privilege</a>
Currently Reading: 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyjs.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KatyJS »

I like coming of age stories. I scanned the few pages where Piper is wanting to get the day over to talk to Chris. I have to say I was caught off guard with his response.
Mwanaidi
Currently Reading: My trip to adele
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanaidi.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Mwanaidi »

A teen girl discovers that she has powers in this fantasy tale. Interesting how she struggles to come to terms with her powers. Thanks for the lovely review 😊
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Cutienerdy21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutienerdy21.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by Cutienerdy21 »

A story full of wonders, magical powers, and teenage heartbreak? Ooohh! I love it! Another brownie points for this story is Piper. I really wanna meet her and see how she reacts as her world become a twilight zone. But I’m not sure if I like to meet the other characters... I hope they don’t ruin this book for me.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Zathiron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zathiron »

I didn't expect everything the book had to offer and I can agree with what S dot Lennon said with a little more development and details this novel could be a hit this year. I can recomend it to anyone who likes a good urban-fantasy novel setting.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

With the combination of the sample I read and the review, I am left wondering if Piper's birth mom is the mom that raised her, where the dad came into the picture (because the first couple of pages makes it sound like he died to save her...so maybe a step-dad?). The sample that I read was engaging and seemed to have a good hook, and was mistake free. (always a plus for me!)
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

Excellent review! I like Piper's story. To experience such circumstances at a very young age must be difficult and traumatic. But she was able to manage pretty well her life and all the challenges that she faced. I'm quite interested to find out Esther's role in the life of Piper and secrets she knew regarding the protagonist's destiny.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Naresh607
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Naresh607 »

Sounds like a typical teenage story where a teenager goes through ups and downs emotionally and physically...
Intrigued????...... Yes
Want to read???.... Definitely Yes
sctrough1975
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sctrough1975 »

I was only able to read the sample pages provided. I was just getting into the character when my sample ran out. I have to say that is a good way to make a person want to read more. I thought it was a nice story with characters easy to relate to. At times in the beginning of the book, it seemed to be too descriptive. For example, Lisa's boyfriend Chet. Also there were times that it seemed like too much was happening, too close together. She seemed to be a very busy girl playing sports, having swim class when it was snowing the night before, being in a band, etc. I think its a cute story. It drew me in. Something that can be read by an adult and young adult! Wouldn't mind finishing the book.
shalom113
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by shalom113 »

Great review! Nice description of main character and how she morphs in development. I especially like the title and how it parallels cell division; great analogy. I would be interested in reading this book and will add it to my bookshelf.

Return to “"Prophase: A Present Tale" by Mitchel Street”