Featured Review: Portrait of Stella

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Featured Review: Portrait of Stella

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Portrait of Stella" by Susan Wüthrich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Portrait of Stella, written by Susan Wuthrich is a historical fiction novel involving intrigue, deception, and discovering the road to which one came from. Growing up, Jemima Ashton always believed her life was straight forward, lacking any skeletons in her family’s closet. However, as an adult she discovers that her knowledge of her family’s past is far from the truth, which in turn sends her off on a wild adventure through time.

When Jemima Ashton attempts to renew her passport, she discovers the renewal will be impossible due to the fact that her birth certificate has been faked and her entire existence is no where to be found in any UK data base. Completely flabbergasted by this turn of events, she begins her search with her late parents records only to discover even more questions of her existence. With little information to go on she is figuratively thrown back into World War II to trace her mother’s footsteps into the heart of South Africa. With each new finding come heart-wrenching experiences, yet heart-warming discoveries also begin to flow freely.

Portrait of Stella is a well-written novel of self-discovery, which teaches us that at any age we are able to learn more about ourselves than we could have ever thought possible. While such discoveries can cause great anxiety and self-doubt if one allows them to do so, they can also teach us that we are capable of a great deal more than we had ever imagined.

The novel switches between first person narration of Jemima and her mother, Stella, depending on the decade in which the narration is taking place. The majority of the novel jumps between Jemima’s adulthood in the mid-1980’s to the time of her mother during World War II and the decades soon after, although there are a couple of more modern jumps at the beginning and at the end of the novel. While there are many time jumps throughout the novel, they are very well marked and aren’t at all confusing. There are a quite a few jumps in location too, although each one is beautifully described, especially the country of South Africa, which goes in depth to all of the political and racial experiences going on throughout the country. The secondary characters are a large part of the heart of the novel, furthering along each discovery and only add to the experience.

I felt like the first few chapters were a little more slow going than the rest of the novel, mainly due to trying to introduce a lot of ideas and characters at once. However, the rest of the novel flows very well and did a very good job of keeping my interest. The main characters were incredibly interesting and had plenty of self-growth throughout the novel, along with plenty of strong dialogue. In the end I was very satisfied with the novel and didn’t feel as if it lacked any closure.

Although the first couple chapters felt slow to me, the rest of the novel was wonderful. I don’t really have any complaints against it, so I give Portrait of Stella a 4 out of 4 stars. It’s definitely a worthwhile read, especially for those who love the World War II era.

Portrait of Stella
View: on Bookshelves

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love that even though it is a fiction book, it is still one that teaches readers a valuable lesson on ourselves. I love books that are about self discovery because that translates to me that there must be some great character development in the story.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds very interesting. I don't know how I would feel if my entire existence had been faked. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Hey, South Africa! I think the discovery that her existence is nowhere on record is an interesting twist - I might have to look into this one. Thank you for your informative review:)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book sounds lovely. There is both heart-wrencing and heart-warming involved. Lol. I also like that you said that the dialogue is strong in this one. I think realistic dialogue is really hard to write but when it is done it is simply amazing.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I'm excited to find out what happened! I like that you say that the transitions between time periods and settings are smooth. Thanks for the review.
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I'm not a fan of anything historical but the way you reviewed this book makes me want to read it and the fact that it talk about where I come from... I think this might be my net book. Thanks for the good review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
adampaarma_1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adampaarma_1 »

Great job. Keep it up!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like an intriguing read. I love the concept, I don't think it's one that's been overdone as I can't think of another one like it off of the top of my head.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a great book. I happen to be going through a period of self-discovery right now, although it's nothing like Jemima's (I'm pretty that my identity is legit, lol). Thank you for this wonderful review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
aliya kanwal

Post by aliya kanwal »

it was great pleasure reading it
Nightwing3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightwing3.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Nightwing3 »

Wow. I'm not usually a fan of time switching books. If as you say the transitions are smooth, I really like the idea of this book. A faked identity and self discovery combined with strong dialogue. It sounds like a must read for me. Thanks!
roxy34

Post by roxy34 »

that was an interesting story
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Sounds like a great book. Might just be next on my shelf to read ?
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Bookworm_1515
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5998">The King</a>
Currently Reading: The Bonding
Bookshelf Size: 85
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Bookworm_1515 »

Can't wait to read this book! Your review makes it sound so intriguing. I love stories about following someone's lines of origin.

Return to “Historical Fiction”