Gone Girl Audio

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Alpha_Betty
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alpha-betty.html

Gone Girl Audio

Post by Alpha_Betty »

I listened to Gone Girl as an audiobook, and I found myself wishing I'd read it from the page instead. It's not that the readers weren't talented, but their voices seemed completely mismatched to the characters. Julia Whelen, who reads Amy, often voices teen girl characters on audiobooks, so I couldn't get the image of her as a 16-year-old out of my head while listening. And Kirby Heyborne, who voiced Nick, sounds uncannily like David Sedaris! Even so, I enjoyed Gone Girl and found it so well-written that I could hang in there for the unlikely plot twists. This hasn't been the case for the spate of books billed by online sellers as "the next Gone Girl". The Girl on the Train, The Girl with a Clock for a Heart--basically any book with "Girl" in the title. Flynn's focus on character and sharp observation of details put her books (I'm thinking of Dark Places here, too) on a completely different level.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It's too bad that you felt that way about it; I thoroughly enjoyed the audiobook version (but admittedly cannot say that I have read the text version as well.) Maybe I haven't listened to enough of those specific narrators to have the conflict of character as you have. Either way, I thought it was well done.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't really prefer audios because sometimes I feel sleepy and miss a few things. I prefer reading a printed book instead.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I listened to this on audiobook the first time around. I loved it! I don't do audiobooks much so I'd never heard them read anything else. I thought they were perfect. Although, her male voices were pretty comical/bad.
Riptidemom8
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riptidemom8.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Riptidemom8 »

I listened to the audio and loved it. However I can see where you are coming from.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

There have been several times when I've felt that audiobook readers were mismatched to their characters. I don't specifically recall that in Gone Girl, but I certainly understand how it detracts from the enjoyment of a particular book.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Scerakor wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 08:47 It's too bad that you felt that way about it; I thoroughly enjoyed the audiobook version (but admittedly cannot say that I have read the text version as well.) Maybe I haven't listened to enough of those specific narrators to have the conflict of character as you have. Either way, I thought it was well done.
I also enjoyed the audio version. It felt like the story was more authentic because of a male and female narrator being used. They gave a lot of emotion to the characters and made it a lot more interesting to me.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I often don't enjoy audio books because the narrators voice annoys me. I guess I just prefer to read the book myself.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Not a big fan of audiobooks. Makes me really drowsy. I prefer reading a print or digital copy.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I always prefer a print copy over audio because I will most likely fall asleep by just listening. Especially when it comes to books like these, where there is so much drama and tension, I want to feel exactly what the characters are feeling, not have it read to me in an emotion I may not agree with.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I don't really listen to audiobooks, though I do enjoy podcasts. Shame about the Gone Girl audiobook.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I can't get myself immersed in audiobooks unless it's narrated by a superb narrator who's features and history are completely unknown to me. I generally go the way of ebooks and paperbacks when I'm reading a novel. In the case of narrators, I'll first listen to a sample and judge if I like the method of storytelling - I do no further research on the narrators themselves because sometimes it influences how I'll perceive the story itself.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I thought the voice actors did a good job. Sometimes, Kirby's voice came off as whiny and juvenile, but I think it suited the character well.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I find that after the first few chapters or so I'll start to get into audiobooks. This means that I'll have to re-listen to those parts to get the basic gist of the story but I can do a bunch of other stuff while doing so.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've never tried an audiobook, but even if you read the book later without listening. It will still be good.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”