Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Scott
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660
Signature Addition: testtesttest

Gone Girl - Constructed images?

Post by Scott » 26 Dec 2015, 19:47

The following is a question from the publisher.

Nick, ever conscious of the way he is being perceived, reflects on the images that people choose to portray in the world—constructed, sometimes plagiarized roles that we present as our personalities. Discuss the ways in which the characters—and their opinions of each other—are influenced by our culture’s avid consumption of TV shows, movies, and websites, and our need to fit each other into these roles.

Interesting topic. I'm not sure on this one. What really interested me is how the clever characters navigated the stereotypes and used other people's habit of stereotyping as pawns in their own strategic plans.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

gaporter
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Build Six-pack Abdominals Jesus’s Way by Scott Mendelson
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter » 23 Jul 2016, 21:41

Nick in the very beginning states how he hates this about our modern culture, yet fell in love with the stereotype his wife presented him. I think that if he hated these fake roles as much as he claims, he would've had a very different relationship with her from the beginning. But yet by the end they both see each other clearly perhaps for the first time, and it perversely seems to bring then even closer despite the circumstances.

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Outdoor Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 23 Jul 2017, 20:10

The constructed image that sticks out to me the most is the character Amazing Amy. Hilary says something along the lines of, "I figured out she wasn't perfect and she couldn't handle that." As much as Amy mocks the Amazing Amy books it's not hard to see how they influenced her. Amazing Amy always did what Amy didn't - she kept playing her instruments and joined the symphony, she didn't give up on her tennis lessons, etc. She had a lifetime of not living up to her parents' expectations of Amazing Amy but she could fool other people into thinking she was. When she couldn't, or the person didn't treat her like Amazing Amy should be treated, she destroyed their credibility and taught them a lesson. And I'm sure that when she met other people they expected her to be like the character.

The only other example I can think of is "the cool girl" seen in movies but doesn't really exist, despite many people putting on the mask for a time.

holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » Yesterday, 22:34

gaporter wrote: ↑
23 Jul 2016, 21:41
Nick in the very beginning states how he hates this about our modern culture, yet fell in love with the stereotype his wife presented him. I think that if he hated these fake roles as much as he claims, he would've had a very different relationship with her from the beginning. But yet by the end they both see each other clearly perhaps for the first time, and it perversely seems to bring then even closer despite the circumstances.
That's true, in the end, they were both showing that they were extremely complex. It would be interesting to see more about them and their attempts at being a family, especially since Amy turns out to be a total psychopath and a bit of a sociopath.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”