Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Post by Scott »

It's been a few months since I read the book, but I am about to watch the movie. I will update you with my thoughts contrasting the movie and book a little later on.

For those who have already read both the book and watched the movie, feel free to jump in with your thoughts any time! :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
ellemichele
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellemichele.html

Post by ellemichele »

Hello, Scott!

I waited until Gone Girl came out on DVD. I had read it in the summer of 2013, and read it again before the movie came out. It still stands to be one of my favorite boos=ks. I could barely put it down.

I think that the movie did pretty well with sticking to the book. I know the general public did not care for the ending of the book, so they were hoping Hollywood would adjust to please everyone. I think they did a great job though. It was cast well, and I see why Rosamund Pike was nominated for her role. The only minor character that did not make it to the movie was Tanner Bolt's wife (who I wished was actually in it, but I see why they removed her).

When I think about how quickly I read the book, the movie did seem a little lengthy. I watched it with my boyfriend though, and he was transfixed the whole time. He had not read the book, but really enjoyed the movie.

I imagine you'e had the opportunity to watch it now. What did you think?!
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Cbrunyate »

I've read the book and watched the movie and thought that the movie did a good job at depicting the book. I thought the characters where well cast and like how it bounced back and forth between Nick and Amy, just like in the book. The only thing I wish the movie would've went a little more in depth on was the relationship between Amy and her parents. I know they touched on the fact that she was the inspiration for the Amazing Amy series, but I think in the book it was easier to, I don't know, understand her maybe? Because of all of the pressure placed on her by her parents? Any thoughts on that?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I've read the book and watched the movie. I was a bit disappointed in the movie. I found the movie dragged at times, while I couldn't put the book down. I thought Nick's character was less layered than in the book. In the book, I went from thinking he was innocent to possibly guilty, and then back again to innocent. The movie showed him as more of a one-dimensional character. I also thought the "big reveal" was done much better in the book. Also, the use of the diary as a plot device was done well in the book, but I didn't well it worked that well in the movie.

I watched the movie with my husband and one of my sons. Neither one of them had read the book, and they both were "meh" about the movie. My husband had been told by one of his friends that the movie was great, and he was disappointed.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Well? What are your thoughts? Im waiting for it to hit NEtflix. I dont get out much to see movies and dont particularly like renting them since I forget to return them on ti me and get late fees.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Do you think the movie is worth a watch for anyone who wasn't a huge fan of the book? The book left me wanting, but if I have some down time I am a little curious about the movie... Not sure if it's worth it though, as most people seem to think it was the same or worse than the book. Any thoughts?
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

Oooh this is definitely one movie that I cannot wait to see!
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I do like the book more than the movie but that's usually the case. I mean, a movie is a certain length of time and they can't fit as many details as they can inside. They also tend to cut important details that are crucial to the book. Movies also tend to change things up so it's not really true to the book. The basic plot is there but the scenes surrounding it changes. The multi-layered story that Gillian Flynn crafted was lacking plenty of those layers when turned into a movie. Still, the movie wasn't that bad.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

TLGabelman wrote:Well? What are your thoughts? Im waiting for it to hit NEtflix. I dont get out much to see movies and dont particularly like renting them since I forget to return them on ti me and get late fees.
I'm with you on renting movies. I always forget to return and wind up paying lots of money and when I finally do watch the movies they aren't even that great.

I'm curious to hear more views on this. I never like the movies as much as the books.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'm not sure if I'll bother seeing the movie, as I did not enjoy the book (more specifically, I couldn't stand the characters). But who knows? The little prairie town I live in actually has a movie rental store, so if it shows up there, maybe I'll rent it.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I'm SO happy we rented this movie!!!! I'd assumed it was going to be something vastly different than what it actually was, and I'm happy I was wrong. Very enjoyable and epic!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ehsanch
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehsanch.html

Post by ehsanch »

Its an amazing movie!
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I heard that the movie ending is very different from the book, is that true? I really hate it when they change something so drastically but I am going to see the movie next month.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

jax2 wrote:I heard that the movie ending is very different from the book, is that true? I really hate it when they change something so drastically but I am going to see the movie next month.
I haven't read the book but have seen the movie, so I can't clarify more than this: I read online that the author actually changed the ending a bit herself for the movie. I have no idea how much... And while I don't know how the book ended, I did like the movie very much, end included.

Here's a link discussing it a bit: washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/ ... at-ending/
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I was so nervous when I saw this movie in the theater, but I was not disappointed. I think the movie captured the essences of the book.

When I read the novel, I constantly thought, "maybe Nick did it". Flynn really had me convinced that it was possible for Nick to be guilty, and I was worried that maybe the movie would not be able to translate that well. However, I sat next to one of my girlfriends in the theater, and she kept saying, "he totally did it" for the first half of the film.

I love the actress who plays Amy. She nailed the character of the "cool girl".

The only thing I did not love about the movie was how it did not really capture how much Nick needed to the "good guy". In the novel, he never wants to be the "bad guy", and I feel like that is central to his character.

I hope you all enjoyed the movie because I really, really liked it!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”