Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Re: Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Post by tracy19 »

loved the book, can't wait to watch the movie.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

In most cases, I'll agree that the book tends to be better than the movie. And this is definitely one of those cases. There's just so much insight and minor details that got left out in the film (understandably given time constraints). While the movie caught my interest, reading the book afterwards sealed the deal.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree. Usually reading the book is better than watching the movie because of those details that aren't included in the movie. When I watched the movie, I was able to enjoy it even with some changes.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I loved the movie but seeing the scenes play out live on screen creeped my out a bit because I could envision myself becoming that wrapped up and crazy trying to punish a husband if he ever cheated on me. I'm glad I didn't watch it with my husband.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

ellemichele wrote:Hello, Scott!

I waited until Gone Girl came out on DVD. I had read it in the summer of 2013, and read it again before the movie came out. It still stands to be one of my favorite boos=ks. I could barely put it down.

I think that the movie did pretty well with sticking to the book. I know the general public did not care for the ending of the book, so they were hoping Hollywood would adjust to please everyone. I think they did a great job though. It was cast well, and I see why Rosamund Pike was nominated for her role. The only minor character that did not make it to the movie was Tanner Bolt's wife (who I wished was actually in it, but I see why they removed her).

When I think about how quickly I read the book, the movie did seem a little lengthy. I watched it with my boyfriend though, and he was transfixed the whole time. He had not read the book, but really enjoyed the movie.

I imagine you'e had the opportunity to watch it now. What did you think?!
The performances were really pleasing from Pike and Affleck and helped sell the movie to me.

-- 28 Sep 2015, 15:41 --
maribelita35 wrote:I watched the movie before reading the book. I thought the movie did a good job depicting the book. Overall a good movie. I watched it with a date and he pointed out when we were leaving how most guys were walking withing few feet of their significant others...scare :)
A strong movie, but I wouldn't liken my date to an ex-evil-Bond Girl.. :)
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I guess since I wasn't a fan of the book it's not surprising I was't a huge fan of the movie. I feel like the book was more intense and faster in development, somehow I felt the movie had some slow parts. Either way, not my favorite, though I hope you enjoyed.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html

Post by CzechTigg »

litmonster wrote:I guess since I wasn't a fan of the book it's not surprising I was't a huge fan of the movie. I feel like the book was more intense and faster in development, somehow I felt the movie had some slow parts. Either way, not my favorite, though I hope you enjoyed.
For a reasonably long film it held my attention very well, and I liked it not being at breakneck speed all the time. Some very good supporting performances too.
I normally don't rate Affleck as an actor, although he is a fine producer and director. Pike is one of my favourite actors from my own country.
Martha Cox
Currently Reading: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-cox.html

Post by Martha Cox »

I read the book and then watched the movie with a friend. I found myself explaining things to her that were explained in the book but not in the movie. Of course we had the added enjoyment of recognizing places and friends since we know Cape Girardeau where the movie was filmed. Have since seen the movie countless times just to see the familiar places and faces.
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

I am not an Affleck fan. I don't find him to be a good actor. However he did a decent job in this movie. The female actress was perfect for the wife role!!! However I do not know the actresses name.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I really enjoyed watching the movie. I thought the acting was spot on. And the ending was also really well done, it had a creepy vibe which was perfect.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
marizavw
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marizavw.html

Post by marizavw »

Read the book. Movie was great.
Camille2020
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille2020.html

Post by Camille2020 »

I believe the movie did justice to the book. The only thing that annoyed me was the ending. I felt like there needed to be more dialog about the arrangement and answers to why they stayed together. I had to explain to friends why they had to stay together even though you want to wringe both character's necks and throw them both in the looney bin.
taylorgad
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorgad.html

Post by taylorgad »

I also read the book first and then watched the movie after. My favorite part of reading the book was following Amy's thoughts and how she crafted her plan. In the book, I was captivated by her and found her extremely clever. However, in the movie, she came across to me as much, much more creepy and sadistic. I think it was the visual portrayed of Amy by the movie versus the one that I had in my head. I thought the movie was great, but, as always, I prefer the book.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I read the book and watched the movie and I have to say I really don't think the movie did the book any justice. The movie was an okay movie if you're looking at it as a stand alone movie and you're not comparing it to the book.
Personally my favorite part of the book was the mystery behind either believing Amy or believing Nick and wondering who is the real bad guy or whether there is really only one person to blame. I also loved the analysis that Gillian Flynn writes about human personalities. I felt like the book was much more that just an interesting "whodunnit" as depicted in the movie.
In the movie this whole mystery is botched, you know from the beginning that you shouldn't believe everything Amy says and the psychological observations and theories that Gillian Flynn mention, don't make an appearance. One plus side for the movie is that I think they really nailed the actress and actor that play Amy and Nick.
Overall the book was one of my favorite books while I would only give the movie 3 out of 5 stars.
MadisonZiegler
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by MadisonZiegler »

Okay sadly on my part, I watched the movie first. For book readers that's possibly the worst thing you can do, is watch the movie first and then the book! I've known this forever! Lol but I loved loved loved the movie, I watched it a thousand times. It's so suspenseful. Which makes me so excited for the book. I can't wait.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”