Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
drossi89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Post by drossi89 »

I think the books are always better than the movies since you're getting more of their thoughts and feelings that way; however, I think they did a really good job on this movie. I really enjoyed it and it still made you think that all the signs keep pointing to Nick and maybe he really did do it.
BookWormJungle

Post by BookWormJungle »

I read the book review the other day and found it to be exciting and my kind of book, but yet again that was a review. I've some people saying the end is a bit disappointing. However I might follow your example and watch the movie before actually reading the book, at least it has some quality actors in it.
maribelita35
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by maribelita35 »

I watched the movie before reading the book. I thought the movie did a good job depicting the book. Overall a good movie. I watched it with a date and he pointed out when we were leaving how most guys were walking withing few feet of their significant others...scare :)
Floy
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-floy.html

Post by Floy »

I loved loved loved the book and I loved the movie. My boyfriend hadn't read the book when we watched the movie and he was blown away with the movie, more so than I was. But they did a great job with the movie, it's always hard fitting in everything from a book into 1.5-2 hours but they did a really good job of trying.
bettyk
Currently Reading: Obsessed
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettyk.html

Post by bettyk »

I saw the movie, but didn't read the book. The movie was good. Is the book better than the movie?
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I saw the trailer for the movie...didn't realize it was based off a book. I should probably read the book first if I'm going to see the movie.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
dancing with hugo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancing-with-hugo.html

Post by dancing with hugo »

Have to remind you that a book is something you experience and a movie is something you watch. With a book, so much of the backstory is there for you to internalize; exposition helps you to understand the dynamics of the plot, characters and relationships in a way that is difficult to present on the screen. Not to mention that the actors, directors and editors bring their own added dimensions to a film. So, having read the book and seen the movie, I can say that for me they were two separate animals, to be reviewed on their merits as separate media forms.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I really need to watch this movie! I will have to make a trip to the Redbox soon!
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

I wasn't sure if I even wanted to read this thread, as I was concerned about the movie ruining the pleasure of the book, but thanks to Jess, I am not convinced that I can take the risk of watching the movie. That is, when it hits Netflix in Canada, so ummm- probably 2032.
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I heard the movie was terrible. Should I even bother?
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I read this book a little while ago but only just got around to seeing the movie. I thought the movie did a great job of following so closely to the book. Someone mentioned that the endings were different but if they were it was very minimal. Or I just don't remember exactly how the book ended. Even though you go back and forth wondering if Nick did it, I still found him pretty likable in the book. Not so much in the movie.
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

Great book, good movie. I really enjoyed this one. I surprised myself. Normally, I never enjoy the movie as much as I enjoyed the book. It wasn't the case here. The characters were all good, the actress who played Amy was really good and Nick was well.... Nick. I would definitely recommend it to those who wish to see it.
kimg77
Currently Reading: Leaving Time
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimg77.html

Post by kimg77 »

I thought it was a great book & movie!
Kjewett07
Currently Reading: The long walk
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjewett07.html

Post by Kjewett07 »

bookowlie wrote:I've read the book and watched the movie. I was a bit disappointed in the movie. I found the movie dragged at times, while I couldn't put the book down. I thought Nick's character was less layered than in the book. In the book, I went from thinking he was innocent to possibly guilty, and then back again to innocent. The movie showed him as more of a one-dimensional character. I also thought the "big reveal" was done much better in the book. Also, the use of the diary as a plot device was done well in the book, but I didn't well it worked that well in the movie.

I watched the movie with my husband and one of my sons. Neither one of them had read the book, and they both were "meh" about the movie. My husband had been told by one of his friends that the movie was great, and he was disappointed.
I totally agree with you. While I LOVED the book, the movie for me was just okay. I think the cast was great and they did pretty much stick to the book but I thought the movie was a bit boring.

-- 30 May 2015, 16:10 --
bettyk wrote:I saw the movie, but didn't read the book. The movie was good. Is the book better than the movie?
The book is SO much better than the movie!
kady24
Currently Reading: The Invention of Wings
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kady24.html
Latest Review: "How To Talk With Spirits: S&eacute;ances &bull;&nbsp;Mediums &bull; Ghost Hunts" by June Ahern
Reading Device: B008UNSPO2

Post by kady24 »

OOOhhh this is one movie you definitely want to see AFTER you read the book. I saw it in the theater and that in and of itself was an experience! There were people gasping, shouting out, laughing...it was fun! You won't be disappointed if you rent it at home though - be prepared for some shocking scenes. I would love to get into the mind of Gillian Flynn. She comes up with some dark and convoluted stuff! I don't know how she kept everything straight while writing Gone Girl - kudos to her for a very unique psychological thriller!
Latest Review: "How To Talk With Spirits: S&eacute;ances &bull;&nbsp;Mediums &bull; Ghost Hunts" by June Ahern

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”