What are your views on Nick and his character?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Re: What are your views on Nick and his character?

Post by Himmelslicht »

TLGabelman wrote:They deserve each other! He's just as bad as her in so many ways. Such a cliche, having an affair...thinking he's hidden it well. Oh no but he's really in love with this other girl, Amys just not the same as before. Blah, blah, blah....I just feel bad for the kin.
EXACTLY!!!
That's why I loved the ending! I think that's what people don't understand. They're both terrible people who shouldn't have children (okay, let's cry about that) who completely deserve each other and no one else should suffer with them.
He's a careless obnoxious idiot and she's a psycho cool girl who looks like Miss America to everyone else.
They're great for each other.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Ok @Himmelslicht, lets hypothesize about this child in the future. Do you see it turning out like a mixture of both parents pathologically speaking? Do you think its gender will play a role in whom it takes after more? i.e. if a girl more emotionally manipulative and if a boy 'situation-ally manipulative' (I think I just created a new term) meaning takes advantage of the situations presented before him and forces situations to their liking.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

TLGabelman wrote:Ok @Himmelslicht, lets hypothesize about this child in the future. Do you see it turning out like a mixture of both parents pathologically speaking? Do you think its gender will play a role in whom it takes after more? i.e. if a girl more emotionally manipulative and if a boy 'situation-ally manipulative' (I think I just created a new term) meaning takes advantage of the situations presented before him and forces situations to their liking.
Great question. There are so many options: but mainly I think they could be either manipulative or manipulated.
Growing in a home where everything is dysfunctional we all know that the greatest chance is to have a broken child and since the manipulative one is the mother, they would become a ragdoll in her hands. Eventually through life they would learn how to lie like no one and basically they would become a refined version of Amy because Nick is an idiot that wouldn't top up her madness and manipulation.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Didn't like Nick but I did feel sympathetic. Don't think he was meant to be liked. I loved the book for the story but not for the characters because they were so hard to like. It's like an episode of Criminal Minds. He's a weak character and he just got into one problem after the next. It's because of his weak character that he couldn't find a way out at the end. There's always a way but he just gave in without even trying. It's an ending that was suited for his character. Sad but true.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Sweet_Lullaby wrote:Well, he isn't the best guy, but there is a side of him that could make up for it.
I really, really had to work to like Nick. I think Flynn really creates a character who portrays what it is like to want to be liked by everyone all of the time. It seems that he never wants to be the "bad guy". He does some truly stupid things, but he is not an evil person. He just really does not seem to think about the consequences.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
BookWormJungle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BookWormJungle »

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this before I've actually read the book or at least watched the movie but reading the way everyone is portraying Amy's character makes this story sound very intriguing. I love it when there is a twist in a story, something else, and having a feminine character with such control over her male counterpart makes me interested.

I'll have to put this book in my to-do list...
Floy
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-floy.html

Post by Floy »

Hmmm. I'd say he was a normal man. Meaning he did love his wife, they started having trouble, he cheated but he didn't kill his wife. And like many men he fell for the wrong woman that ended up ruining his life by being stuck in a loveless marriage. But this story took all of that to the extreme. I also have to give him props for being one step ahead of everyone else; the cops, his sister, her parents, etc.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

He could have picked up on things faster or sooner but definitely was dealt a tough hand. Amy was very difficult, that's for sure.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by mystery lady »

Nick is very naive and uses poor judgement regarding his relationship with his wife. At the end, I believe he stays with her for the wrong reasons. He is easily intimidated. Amy may act as if she wants a man in her life that she can manipulate, but what she really wishes for is a strong male figure.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I am not a big fan of Nick in Gone Girl. Even though Amy was definitely not all there, like others have said, I do not praise someone who cheats. And someone else mentioned about kind of liking Nick getting what he deserves more than making excuses, I agree with that comment. He shouldn't have cheated on Amy and there really isn't an excuse for that.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Well, anyone who cheats certainly won't be viewed as a likable character by the vast majority. For me, it wasn't so much the fact that he cheated that deterred me but his general attitude about life. When he is made to face what's he done, he doesn't seem to have the slightest clue about righting his wrongs. Staying with Amy wasn't at all necessary, not when he was cheating on her and not when she was pregnant with his baby. It's like on the one hand he wants to be happy (i.e. cheating with a younger girl), but on the other hand he allows and perpetuates his own misery.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

Both characters were immoral. Him for cheating and her for not just talking to him and either straightening out their marriage or walking away. The games were ridiculous.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html

Post by TangledinText »

Of course compared to his life he seemed boring, but in reality he was the perfect "normal" man who didn't see anything wrong with getting annoyed and cheating on his wife with no guilt. The story seemed to be from her perspective so you didn't get the best view of him and why he did things but he played a part to seem like he didn't need an excuse or reason to cheat. He did step up and play a more clever role as the story progressed though that made his character come alive.
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

My biggest problems with the characters were their selfishness, arrogance, and willingness to manipulate others to get what they wanted or thought best. I felt bad for Nick's social issues and being misperceived by those that didn't know him, but other than that, I thought that, I thought I was kind of a jerk.
dgilbertrogers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 086">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgilbertrogers.html

Post by dgilbertrogers »

Honestly, I kind of view him to be a tool. Having an affair whilst under investigation certainly proves that. With that said I certainly do not feel he deserved what Amy put him though and I actually started to feel bad for him.

:lol:

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”