What are your views on Nick and his character?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Re: What are your views on Nick and his character?

Post by litmonster »

litmonster wrote:My biggest problems with the characters were their selfishness, arrogance, and willingness to manipulate others to get what they wanted or thought best. I felt bad for Nick's social issues and being misperceived by those that didn't know him, but other than that, I thought he was a pretty colossal jerk.
Martha Cox
Currently Reading: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-cox.html

Post by Martha Cox »

Ended up not liking him because he stayed with his wife when he knew how horrible she was. He says it was for the baby but he should have cut and run.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I loved the character of Nick. He starts off as someone who is disconnected from every thing, like he had already "checked out" until he begins to remember why he loved Amy, and everything then twists around and he becomes someone else. Amy ' s manipulative character actually reminded me of a client I worked with because she did a lot of the same things. Made Amy ' s character more real.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I didn't like him at all. I thought he was way too stupid and easy to manipulate.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
sterlingsilv16
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sterlingsilv16.html

Post by sterlingsilv16 »

First off, I thoroughly enjoyed the meat of this book and how the layout slowly unraveled the true story for the reader. Nick's character (and Amy's character) was beautifully crafted. However, I was not particularly a fan of the ending, especially when comparing the end of the novel to the rest of the storyline. Nick's character arc begins with the reader quietly rooting for him and for people to believe him. Flynn did well to slowly crush my dreams for Nick to be revealed as the ultimate victim by showing his flaws. Looking back, the "flaws" in his character definitely made Nick more humane. I wish that being humane didn't always include poor character choices. My biggest beef was the ending of the novel. Nick choosing to stay with Amy felt almost like protecting Amy's character through Nick's choice to stay with her. The author, in essence, sidestepped a huge potential conflict. I did not see Nick's character building to be as crazy as Amy's and the decision to stay in the marriage is something I would personally define as crazy. I wish Flynn had made his draw to insanity something that I could look back on and say "Oh, of course that makes sense!" rather than have it be a "umm, okay?" Aside from the end decision, Nick's character arc in Gone Girl was phenomenal and I definitely enjoyed both his character and Amy's in the book.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Although this all came about because of Nick's actions, I honestly liked him throughout the whole book. There were a few times when I thought he was acting like a total idiot, but I truly felt sorry for him. It seemed like he had no idea how intelligent his wife was, or else he honestly just thought he would never get caught.
The ending was terrific in my opinion, but it seemed like in Nick's position, I would feel so sufficated.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think that Nick is a jerk and self centered, but I think that he's the most realistic character. I like his struggle to fight the internalized misogyny he inherited from his father. It wasn't nice and he didn't seem to notice the signs when he failed, but it was a real thing and he knew it was wrong.

I like the ending. It wasn't satisfying that Amy got off the hook, but I think that makes it more fascinating. Once all the illusions went out the window, the draw to each other because even more irresistible. People can be addicted to danger and admire their enemies, I guess. Nick's strange acceptance yet simultaneous hate is.... interesting.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Bridget_Jones wrote:I had very mixed feelings about Nick's character. In all of Amy's chapters from her "diary", she made Nick out to be a horrible, unsympathetic husband. But in Nick's chapters we got to see his true character. I thought, overall, that Nick is a relatively good guy stuck in a bad situation. I didn't like how in the end he just decided to stay with Amy and tolerate her psychoticness, even if she is pregnant.
I agree with you, Nick was a good guy who was dealt bad cards in life. I think the fact that he decides to stay with Amy in the end is just more proof that he is not as bad a guy as Amy says he is.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

He annoyed me and was kind of an idiot. Also, he had no spine whatsoever. Amy played him for the fool he is and she got what she wanted in the end while he gave in.
My weekend is all booked!
Felica_the_great
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felica-the-great.html

Post by Felica_the_great »

I think Nick is a coward and Amy continues to be Amy because no one stands up to her.
I feel like if anyone could stand up to her it would be Nick. He has the power to match her and knows her better than anyone else.
I was infatuated with every page turn as Nick continued to tuck tail and obey Amy. I wanted so badly for him to stop her. I am still holding on to hope for a part two where he just might!
I know that the charaters that Flynn created out of Nick and Any are what makes the book so good . it's a doubled ended sword and still leaves you hoping that someone someday gives Amy a taste of her own medicine.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nick totally lacked substance in his character. There was no depth to his character.Even though he came out as a victim in the story i did not like him. He appeared very stupid as compare to Amy who was so sharp and creative in mind
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Nick's character confused me a bit. I don't feel that he is unintelligent just because of what Amy said. Many individuals go into marriage with the exterior of being one individual and after the function the cover tumbles off.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

I think Nick was created in light of real humans. He is far from perfect but he tried to do the best with what he had. Even if he cheated on his wife. He was not the only one at fault. The way everyone turned on him showed us how fast someone can judge us - even if we think they will be by our side.
He could have stood up to Amy. Knowing what a psychopath she truly is, even pregnant, he shouldn't have stayed because of how people would see them.
Ufumaka12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ufumaka12 »

I believe nick was just the average husband with normal flawsand Amy was a kind of woman that always wanted things to be done her way while being the good amy so it would have been hard for anyone one not to see Nick as crappy
:(
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I listened to this book on Audible and I watched the movie as well. I really didn't like how Nick was characterized in either case and he was definitely the typical guy. However, that doesn't mean he deserved what he got at the end.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”