Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 160

justjessthoughts
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by justjessthoughts »

What was your overall opinion of the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn? Do you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?

I actually thought the beginning was very slow. It was hard for me to get into the book. I did really enjoy the majority of the book. The twists and plot turns, though at times predictable were still sritten in a way that made it exciting for the reader. I am not a fan of the ending, I feel like it ends in a way that leaves both parties hanging. Just waiting for the next to make the move but we all know no one ever will. But perhaps this is a comment on the true nature of so many unhappy marriages in the world today.

But I would recommend this book to others and do so regularly in my everyday life. Especially with the movie coming out (which I have not yet seen) the interest in this novel has piqued and I ALWAYS recommend the book.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I had no intention of reading this book but I happened to see the trailer for the movie and it caught my interest (and I like Ben Affleck!) but to be honest after reading the book I would have no interest in seeing the movie.
The book is OK but it didn't keep me up all night reading it (the mark of a great book) in fact I got fed up with it & had to leave it aside for a day or two. For a thriller it's quite slow & plodding & a bit too contrived to be satisfying. As for Nick and Amy - they remind me of the Irish saying "If God made them, he matched them" - equally unpleasant, manipulative and shallow. In fact I didn't like any of the characters and didn't find myself invested in any of them. Not a book I would be recommending and I'll certainly not be rereading it.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I also loved this book. Very intense read. I loved the sociopath elements as well as the misdirection the most. I also like how the ending was kind of open-ended and left the reader to decide what the couples would decide. I do wish, however, the book had moved a little quicker in the beginning. I kept putting it down at first.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
onikitaaa

Post by onikitaaa »

During the beginning of gone girl, I was so impressed with Gillan Flynns style of writing. I was instantly hooked. Not able to put down, until getting to the ending. I thought the ending was so drab and the easy way out. This book would have been so much better with a conclusion that actually worked and made sense for the characters
Dzahneen88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzahneen88.html

Post by Dzahneen88 »

Hi! I'm new here. Is there anyway I can get a copy of the book of the month? Thank you :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Dzahneen88 wrote:Hi! I'm new here. Is there anyway I can get a copy of the book of the month? Thank you :)
You need either to borrow the book from the library or buy it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I loved this book. I was constantly kept guessing by the many twists and turns. The character development of the two main characters was superb.

-- 25 Oct 2014, 17:47 --
onikitaaa wrote:During the beginning of gone girl, I was so impressed with Gillan Flynns style of writing. I was instantly hooked. Not able to put down, until getting to the ending. I thought the ending was so drab and the easy way out. This book would have been so much better with a conclusion that actually worked and made sense for the characters
I agree with you. Like you, I also couldn't put the book down, but was very disappointed in the ending. The ending just didn't seem realistic, compared to everything that had happened. I would be interested to hear what the author's reasoning was for this type of ending.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
cmkerr09
Currently Reading: Universal Harvester
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmkerr09.html

Post by cmkerr09 »

I enjoyed Gone Girl. I thought it was a compelling read and I agree it was hard to put down. Flynn's writing style makes it an easy read. I definitely wouldn't call it high quality literature as it was more of a beach read. The ending was rather weak; however, given how twisted and shocking the story was overall, it is not too hard to accept the ending. After finishing the book most of my thoughts about it focused on how disturbing and unexpected many of the twists were, rather than giving the ending much if any thought.
ladybug31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

The first time I read "Gone Girl" I absolutely loved it and raved about it for weeks, even went on a binge of the author's other books. The second time (right before the movie came out) I wasn't too sure. Even knowing how it was going to end, I held my breath in the vain hope that maybe this time it would be different, like a book fairy waved its magic wand and would change the outcome. But, alas, that isn't how it happened. Reading it the second time, I really started to hate Amy. I mean, that "cool girl" speech? Really? Who else kinda hated her for that speech?
nicoleponsi

Post by nicoleponsi »

I sat and stared at the wall for a while after I finished Gone Girl with the most incredulous smile on my face. Such a clever story! It was easy to read from the first page, the words and pages flowed effortlessly. A few times I had to stop, put the book down and try to catch up in my mind, see if I could predict what would happen next, how the story would end. I did not see that coming.
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I just started reading this book and it is very interesting to say the least so far. I will definitely come back and post when I am able to form a proper opinion on the whole book. I do know it is living up to my expectations so far.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I really liked this book. Or rather, I didn't like it. It was so dark and twisted and awful and also amazing at the same time. Flynn did a masterful job of turning a cliched convention into something shocking and disturbing. It reminded me of Wuthering Heights, in the sense that they are both books with absolutely terrible main characters. I didn't know who I should be rooting for or against.

I do agree with some of the other posters that it falls apart a bit at the end. It is so clever and fresh up until that point, then it ends as though it is tripping down he stairs.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

jhollan2 wrote:I really liked this book. Or rather, I didn't like it. It was so dark and twisted and awful and also amazing at the same time. Flynn did a masterful job of turning a cliched convention into something shocking and disturbing. It reminded me of Wuthering Heights, in the sense that they are both books with absolutely terrible main characters. I didn't know who I should be rooting for or against.

I do agree with some of the other posters that it falls apart a bit at the end. It is so clever and fresh up until that point, then it ends as though it is tripping down he stairs.
Did you get the feeling that she didn't quite know how to finish off the book? To me it felt like she rushed just to wrap it all up anyoldhow and all the deviousness and manipulation she had woven into the characters in the first half of the book. Or maybe, like me, she just got sick of Nick and Amy & wanted rid of them. :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Fran wrote:Did you get the feeling that she didn't quite know how to finish off the book? To me it felt like she rushed just to wrap it all up anyoldhow and all the deviousness and manipulation she had woven into the characters in the first half of the book. Or maybe, like me, she just got sick of Nick and Amy & wanted rid of them. :lol:
I agree, Fran. Flynn did such an amazing job with the first half of the book, then it was like Amy kind of unraveled. She was this strong, kind of awesome, spiteful sociopath. Lets face it... who hasn't fantasized about doing something drastic and awful to a guy who broke their heart? Maybe not quite this extreme, but I think the impulse is universal, which is why it resonated with so many readers. By the end, though, she is so clingy and weirdly emotional that I found I hated her even more for going back to him and trying to make things work than I did when she was being a psychopath. She didn't seem as clever somehow, like she had lost her edge and the plot and didn't know what she wanted so she just did what she had done before the whole thing started.
Briebird
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briebird.html

Post by Briebird »

Haven't read the book yet, but I was blown away by the movie (usually its the opposite!) I did read the first few pages of the book and was pretty hooked, but I haven't had a chance to fully get into it. I definitely will when I can. : )

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”