Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

How do you rate Gone Girl?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
10%
3 stars - good, recommend it
34%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 159

Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Gone Girl"

Post by Jausten11 »

Martha Cox wrote:I rate the book 4 stars because it is well written and has lots of plot twists in it. But I was very disappointed in how it ended and mostly disappointed in Nick. I ended up hating both characters in the end.
Me too. When I was done I was disappointed in him. I just thought she was flat out crazy.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

I read an extract of this book when it was making headlines a few years ago for a creative writing workshop but never read the full novel. The extract felt slow but layered with mystery. Looking at the ratings here, it seems like a decent read. Might have to check it out.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I thought this book was very interesting. I had mixed feelings about it when I first read it. I didn't like it at first because I really did not like the main characters but I think that is the point so it was understandable not to like them.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Nevada Robertson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nevada Robertson »

I thought it was an okay book the characters had interesting ways of dealing with situations that I wasn't particularly a fan of. Hopefully in the next book my feelings will change or they may stay the same.
the wisdom to see
Currently Reading: Aurora Sky
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-wisdom-to-see.html

Post by the wisdom to see »

I have picked this book up several times to read and I just cant do it. I could not stand Nick and just couldn't read it. Several people told me the book is a good read and to stick with it... didn't happen. I am not certain why this book turned me off but it did. Glad other people liked it though!
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I envy everyone that got to read this book spoiler free. I had it ruined for me, to be fair she asked first if she could reveal the big secret and I stupidly said yes. All I could think about when I was reading was when the big twist was coming.

Apart from that I thought the book was definitely a page turner. I enjoyed how the characters unfolded, mostly because I ended up hating both of the main ones. It sounds strange, but I love to hate characters when they have some depth to them, not just boring, one dimensional characters.

The twists and turns kept me reading when I probably should have put the book down. The only issue I had was going into it knowing the big secret, it took some of the enjoyment out of it unfortunately.
hkachelmeier
Currently Reading: The Sound of Our Steps
Bookshelf Size: 1104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkachelmeier.html

Post by hkachelmeier »

I gave it a 2 out of 4 but I was on the fence about giving it a 1 out of 4. I really cannot decide whether I liked the book or not. It made me angry, which a good book is supposed to make you feel something, I guess. I just was so frustrated during the entire book that at times I thought I wasn't going to finish it. Even after having given it to family members and having them read it, I'm still not sure what my feelings are on the book
Mia Couture
Currently Reading: The Winemakers
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia-couture.html

Post by Mia Couture »

I loved this book! I find most books predictable, and I can usually figure out the twist, and when I do, I'm usually disappointed. But this book kept me guessing, right up untill the very end! The writing was outstanding and made me want to read everything by Gillian Flynn. 4 stars!
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

2 stars. I really didn't like Nick at all and was very disappointed in the ending. I enjoy twist and turns but really prefer books that end well.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

L_Therese wrote:I really loved Gone Girl. I enjoyed the misdirection and the layering of the story. It allowed the characters to become that much more vivid because the reader got to really see how their minds worked. I actually read the book awhile ago (which is probably why I'm the first to reply here) on the recommendation of a friend who was also just blown away. I thought the book as a whole was super intense, which made it really hard to put down.
a lot of my friends have read this book, as well (somehow i haven't read it yet) and they all swear by it's quality. your short description makes me finally want to pick it up and give it a try! i like layering within a story, it keeps me interested.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Skoraeus
Currently Reading: Magnus Chase and the God of Asgard
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skoraeus.html

Post by Skoraeus »

A no doubt 4 stars. I love mystery thrillers sort of genres, but this is completely out of the ordinary intense novels that you read elsewhere. This have a 'soul' of its own, its twists and plots just keeps u going for more. Couldn't resist and even sacrificed my night time just to continue reading. A really good novel that deserves nothing but compliments.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

This book was a great thriller in my opinion. I really loved how the characters developed and how your perceptions of the characters genuinely change throughout the book. The nice little twist towards the end with the strangers at the cabin/hotel location was really enjoyable. I love how she really committed to the role of victim and was so sneaky enough that she genuinely got away with acting however she pleased. Awful character, but great for the drama.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
ceg-reynolds
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceg-reynolds.html

Post by ceg-reynolds »

I actually read Gone Girl a while back with a book club. I really enjoyed the book and it had some twists and turns you didn't see coming. It's always nice to read a book that you can't easily figure out! I would definitely recommend reading this book.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I loved this book. I think it touched on the good aspects of all sorts of genres. Mystery, action, character study, drama, overarching themes throughout, suspense, even romance. It was definitely a page turner. 4 out of 4, for sure.
CaseyRay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caseyray.html

Post by CaseyRay »

I really liked Gone Girl. I was surprised at how many twists and turns the author was capable of. I read this book really quickly I had to know what happened. I thought the movie was very well done too.

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”