Your Personal Legend

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Re: Your Personal Legend

Post by Athena Moon »

I easily get bored with constant things in my life and I always opt for a challenge, something dazzling and eye-opening. Since I've began pursuing my dream, I had to cut all the negative people, walk away from stability and comfort; dip into pain, sweat and tears. Honestly, this is the happiest I've ever been. I am not afraid to die tomorrow for I am living my dreams.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I think...my heart will bring me back to my family and friends. I have been very lucky in my life to have such great people around me who love and care about me.
I could give up anything in my life to stay close to them.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I’d be too frightened of losing my pension or leaving people who need me.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I would like to think I would. That theme of giving up everything to follow your heart is truly appealing to me and one of the things I loved about the book. As Belle said "I want much more than this provincial life," and I feel that way pretty much every day. I think we would all be happier and more fulfilled if we took more risks.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

The Alchemist inspires me to recognize my own legend that is to read books and give an honest and constructive reviews about them. I enjoy reading books so i can say i have finally found my legend.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have always spent my money on experiences over things, so I have less fear of walking away. In my 20's I travelled the world solo. But now I have a family of my own I wouldn't leave them behind (for long!).
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

That's a very interesting question. I always considered myself a daydreamer who would do anything to make her dreams and goals come true. Sadly, now that adulthood hit me like a train, I'm afraid that many times I choose the easy and comforting path. But I learn the hard way that if you ignore your heart for too long you're going to be punished with misery and sadness. At least that was the case for me. You can take my lesson as an example and don't make the same mistake. I hope you follow your dream because we only have this life to live.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

That takes real courage, to walk into the unknown not knowing what awaits you, only holding on to a dream. I hope I will be able to when the time comes.
Adair
Favorite Book: Stories Of Your Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Adair »

The question asks about giving up everything. To begin with, on the topic of things or items in a person`s life, many self-help gurus/life coaches recommend removing clutter every two years with the rationale of increasing one`s emotional health because it helps one consider the value of each of the items (clothes,decorations, even inherited items). For example, if you haven`t worn it in 2 years, you don`t value it and it is taking up space. Also for example, if you just cannot part with an inherited item, consider the value of it to you, and process what the values are over the next two years, making a decision then to keep or discard. Therefore, in a sense, over a relatively short period of time, it is possible to part with all of one`s things and have completely all new things, on a regular basis.

Secondly, in The Alchemist, Santiago embarks upon a quest which resonates that this is someone inexperienced in life, and in the world, setting out without having much to offer yet (or so they think at least).

In these two cases, arguably not much is being given up. However the question is also meaningful in the sense of giving up more than physical items and zero life experiences. In this regard, a person evaluates the goal of the quest (even repeatedly throughout the journey as in the book), the challenges to be faced, what success entails, and what continuing on from the successful end point might look like. I think these are the features that form much of the subtext of this book and why it is so popular.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I don't think I'm brave enough. I would need a companion. I'm not too concerned about physical possessions, but comfort zones yes.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Definitely! I'd call myself a 'hippie at heart' solely for that reason! I always follow my heart without really poring over the consequences.
Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Liz Alice »

I'm not sure if I'd actual it be able to bring myself to leave everything in order to pursue my dream. There are so many things that look like it's something I should pursue, only for me to conclude it's not important enough. However, I like to think that if I ever find something worth pursuing, I'll give it a go.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Following the dream is not difficult, but finding the one worth following is. If i ever succeed in knowing what it is, maybe I will.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

It'd have to be something immensely meaningful to me. Dropping everything is a scary prospect, and people who take chances like that are exceedingly brave.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

When I was younger, I think I would have answered 'yes', but the more you move through life, the more you gain... and the more you have to lose. I would need to be absolutely sure of my Personal Legend before I would risk it. If you are sure of your Legend, it would be worth it.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”