Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

How do you rate The Alchemist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
57%

Total votes: 205

jnav0316
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnav0316.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Post by jnav0316 »

I've read this book and I enjoyed it! It covers all major belief systems and is an easy read. It keeps things so simple, that it's astounding. Compared to Siddhartha (which to me runs along the same message), I like this much more and found it easier to read, follow and imparted more knowledge.
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Post by teacher_jane1 »

I really wanted to love this book, but just didn't. It was good and I gave it 3 out of 4 stars, but I found parts of it trite. It seemed to me that the best parts of the book were better expressed in "The Little Prince," or anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. But I definitely think it's worth reading this book if only because a huge number of people find it inspiring, and Coelho's influence on contemporary fiction is far-reaching.
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I really like the genres that Coelho explores, and once I started reading this I wanted to finish it; but somehow didn't quite get the great 'ah ha' moment that others seem to have had. Maybe I read through too quickly and will have to read it again!
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I think this book might've actually changed something in me. Only a few books have touched me on such a personal level as this book did. I'm familiar with some of the content though (blame it on a little manga series called Fullmetal Alchemist). The boy, who goes on a journey for treasure that brings him right back where he started; it's beautiful, inspirational, and many other divine things I can't think of right now.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
kimg77
Currently Reading: Leaving Time
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimg77.html

Post by kimg77 »

I think the story of personal journey was great.
minderly
Currently Reading: Prototype
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minderly.html
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.

Post by minderly »

I feel like I am the only person in the world that did not love this book. I agree with CatGitane that is got boring. It was also pretentious. I read half of the book and gave up...there was so much to spark wanderlust and a need for finding this "bigger thing" in life. It just did not sit well with me.
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

Well, I've read it few years ago, and I remember thinking it was quiet plain, I wasn't able to relate to the characters at all, I thought they were one-dimensional, the plot as I remember was quiet boring :?

After I finished the book, it was already very trendy book but I kept hearing snarky comments about the book ad nauseam :lol: .
secretadmire
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-secretadmire.html

Post by secretadmire »

This book is one of my all-time favorites! Such a great discussion of philosophy and the meaning of life through the surrealist, magical lens and the arc of a great quest! I love Coelho's writing style, and raced through the book in a single afternoon.
Emmers00
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmers00.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Emmers00 »

On my list, sounds intriguing!
Who being loved, is poor?-Mother Theresa
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I was quite young when I first read the Alchemist, and found it somewhat boring and pretentious, as acknowledged elsewhere on this thread. However, when I picked it up again some years later for my high school syllabus I read the book in a new light, and was profoundly affected by the central themes of ones 'Personal Legend' and the unity of spirit inherent in all things. It has been quite a while since that second reading, and I can only hazily remember the specifics of the book, but I do know that this book resonated strongly with me and can be said to be one of those novels I've encountered that was essential in constructing my personal ideology. This thread has encouraged me to reread the book, it will be interesting to see the effect it has on me third time round!
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

This is one book that I keep coming back to over and over again and still learn something new. This was the first book of his that I read and just fell in love. So much so that anytime I see one of his books that I don't have, I immediately purchase it. There was so much wisdom in this novel that it had me thinking for days and raving about it to everyone. It is definitely a 4 out of 4 for me. I feel the need to re-read it again.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Raksh
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksh.html

Post by Raksh »

I used to keep on getting suggestion to read this book so, took it for reading. I had no expectation as such but hoped it is not sad or very preaching kind of book. I am glad I read it. It is written beautifully...yet very simple in language. No use of big bulky words and complex figure of speech yet intriguing, inspiring, captivating your attention. Even the story is simple and cosy. Everyone one can find oneself in that stage of our life. I loved it. Also it has been made into audio-book which is altogether a very different and pleasing experience. This is how morals and preaching should be done.
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

I rated this book 3 stars. I thought it was easy to read and the book had a good layout. The author had a god writing style that was easy to follow. The first half of the book I found similar to a fairy tale story. This was different to the typical novels I usually read so it kept me captivated. When I got more then half way through the book it started to bore me a little. It became a little repetitive with nothing exciting happening. I continued to read waiting for something to happen but it continued to be the same. The end of the book was a nice finish. I was able to understand the meaning behind the novel a lot better at the end. The novel is inspiring but I do think it can be interpreted differently by people and the way they relate to the story and visualise it. A friend of mine read this novel and said it was the best book they ever read and left them feeling inspired. I myself did think it had a beautiful message but didn't effect me as much so I do think it has a different meaning and effect on different readers. I would recommend this book to people to read but I would recommend it to certain types of personalities.
vs9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vs9 »

This is a wonderful book.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

This book seems very interesting to me. Even the title is compelling.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”