Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

How do you rate The Alchemist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
57%

Total votes: 205

Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Post by Doug Jones »

Interesting book, read it many years ago. Very inspiring, particularly its advice to never give up. “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

r_parker wrote: 05 Sep 2014, 12:18 I always felt strange when I head that classic quote, "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it." I felt angry that this supposed source of wisdom was offering false hope, knowing that it would be accepted as wisdom because it is what people want to hear.

After reading the book, I still feel conflicted about this central idea. It's a book that teaches trying, trying, trying when sometimes we need peace and acceptance. We have to know when to move on, and go in another direction. But at the same time, it's a beautiful book, and the power of trying and intuition is undeniable. The trail of meetings that Santiago has with people he learns so much from is also beautiful, and something I would like to emulate... we can learn so much from the people we meet along the way to our supposed destinations.
Interesting take. I guess it depends on your perspective. Peace and acceptance are often transitory things. Effort is often what is needed to get results. But I agree with you that the quote you cite can be misleading to those who would take it too literally.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Christinabooklover »

Surely it s a great book. Alchemist and eleven minutes are my favorite from this author. Alchemist is a great boost for the reader to take chances in life. Also a book to reread from time to time.
Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” – JK Rowling
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

The alchemist is a master piece!
The novel encourages the reader to have faith in their beliefs and only then can they truly succeed.
The author uses the main character who is shepherd setting out from home into the world to show how much the power of faith can get you riches and how you shouldn't give up when life challenges you because of that faith.
"I am coming fatima" (from the novel)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I read this book a few years ago and am encouraged to read it again after reading this thread. In the spirit of Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Rushdie), The Alchemist succeeds beautifully as a fictional spiritual primer: a lovable protagonist learning about life's obstacles and plenty of teachers to model the faith and perseverance needed to overcome them. I can't wait to read it again.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

I think that this book would have had a profound influence on me no matter what state (good or bad) my life was in when I read it, and I would recommend it to anyone.
ranjan333
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ranjan333 »

" The Alchemist " is one of my favourite books i have ever read reason being this book makes you jump out of your comfort zone and fills your heart with high spirit. Speciality of this book is that it is written in simple words and quite easy to understand.

The Story of this book revolves around a young shepherd who had to went through a tumultuous journey in order to find a treasure hidden thousand miles away at the base of pyramid in Egypt.

So the theme of the Alchemist is to pursue your dreams by following what your heart desires. During his nascent stage, a young boy learns to listen to the heart. With each obstacle a boy encounters, there is a lesson to learn. each lesson teaches him that he should always go by his heart.
i express humble gratitude to the author. I recommend readers to read this book as this is definitely going to influence your opinion about life long journey.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Really enjoyed this book! Unfortunately didn't like the author's other books, but reading the Alchemist was certainly an experience I'll never forget.
Hwalker274
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hwalker274 »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I think this book is a book that everyone should read and re-read at least once (or twice). This book can teach someone a lot of lessons about the value of life and how to appreciate life and what comes our way, both positive and negative. I really loved how the 'unspoken language' part; I feel like that spoke to me the most. I do believe that everyone needs to at least have a spiritual understanding of the unspoken language and how to use it. This book speaks volume and its one of my favorites.
Mirhakhan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mirhakhan »

My friend recommended me this book. And when i start reading it i couldn't stop its a spectacular work by Paulo . I loved it and would recommend you all to give it a try .thank you.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Truly transformational. The story itself is so minimalistic that we don't even learn the name of our protagonist. He is just called 'the boy' and it is sufficient to deliver the message that Paulo does so incredibly in less than 250 pages. It is one of my all-time favorites.
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

The Alchemist whas a pretty good book for beginer readers and also a prety good one for the seasoned ones.

When I first pick the book I had 13 years. It was homework from te higschool. I tougth that it will be a easy read like a long story. But wen i took the book and read it I devoured this masterpiece in an hour. I readeded the spanish version and the english one and compared them.

There is a lot in this book that it is lost beacuse the translation. Like the name of the protagonist:"Santiago". But the essence it is there. The plot goes easy and was not very forced the development. The grow of the character it is steady. The sidecharacters comes and go in the main story whit out a forced or abrupt transition. Easy reading you will finish it and not notice it.

Years lather I pick this book again and read it. The familiar main story was there but the mensaje changed it let me ponder of the life and my focus of it. A book that get you a message that changes wen you grow and let you grow with you.

A true Masterpiece of "Pablo Coello"
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I think it's one of the books that are worth rereading a few times, because each time, a new thing of magnificent importance will unfold.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

There was so much of a hype around the book that I HAD to read it. But I was seriously disappointed. I did not find the book all that great. It is a light read and short, so I was just glad I did not spend too much time on it. I think it is one of the most over-rated books, so I would not recommend it.
nutshell_review
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutshell-review.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by nutshell_review »

I read this book atleast once a year or two since 2009. There is something unusual about the whole story that I enjoy and feel connected to.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”