Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

How do you rate The Alchemist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
57%

Total votes: 205

the wisdom to see
Currently Reading: Aurora Sky
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-wisdom-to-see.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Post by the wisdom to see »

I am so happy that I have the opportunity to give a review on this book. By far, this book is my all time favorite book. To some, it is just a story about a little shepherd boy and his dream. To another, this book is about the essential meaning of life. Whichever frame of mind you are in when you read this book, you come up with the same conclusion, it encourages you to follow your dreams (literally or figuratively) despite any setbacks you may have along the way.
I believe everyone should read this book at least once in their life. You might be surprised at the morsel of knowledge you take with you.
charysma_lilly
Favorite Author: too many....
Currently Reading: Before I Fall
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charysma-lilly.html

Post by charysma_lilly »

I agree, this book is more than just pages and words on paper. Is a journey to self achievement. I read it 2 times and will read it again for sure. Every time there is a meaning I missed the first time I started it :) Coelho is a great writer in my opinion.
Joyreader
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyreader.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Joyreader »

I've read this book more than once and every time I get a new perspective.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Sophie8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sophie8 »

I enjoyed The Alchemist however their were some parts that felt a little too juvenile. The themes and message of the story were very impowering and beautiful and I would recommend it. It's a good book but if you are looking for something challenging or more serious it probably isn't for you.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I'm feeling very conflicted with this book. From what I've read here, and reviews before this, it is an enlightening classic. But unfortunately I couldn't get into it :(

I felt at times that the author was trying to cast the biggest net possible with all of the lessons in the book in the hope of striking a cord with as many readers as possible. Perhaps he was successful and that's why I feel left out when so many people love it! At certain times I felt like he was about to strike a personal nerve, but it passed quickly as the story progressed.

It's good to see so many people enjoyed it and learned from it though! So many positive reviews can't be wrong, I just hope I'm not the only one that unfortunately didn't get much out of it.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

@CatGitane don't give up! I felt the same way towards the middle of the book but i absolutely loved the ending. The ending is really lovely, it'll be worth it!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
fikekomala
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fikekomala.html

Post by fikekomala »

I read The Alchemist 2 years ago.
I think it was so beautiful.
Tiedyer

Post by Tiedyer »

I loved this book. I liked how every person he met had some bit of knowledge he needed to set him on the next step in his journey. Perhaps if we pay more attention, that is true in our lives, as well.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Post by njzeba »

I think the Alchemist should be read by anyone of almost any age. This book really captured my attention and kept it throughout the whole book. I love the major twist at the end! The book is beautifully crafted and filled with so much adventure! I must agree that Coehlo really surprised me because I honestly thought the book was going to be just about metals.

I also really love the quote "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving" and I find that to be the most beautiful romantic quote I have ever read in my life. Only Coehlo could come up with such a unique quote on love.

-- 25 Apr 2016, 22:05 --

I think the Alchemist should be read by anyone of almost any age. This book really captured my attention and kept it throughout the whole book. I love the major twist at the end! The book is beautifully crafted and filled with so much adventure! I must agree that Coehlo really surprised me because I honestly thought the book was going to be just about metals.

I also really love the quote "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving" and I find that to be the most beautiful romantic quote I have ever read in my life. Only Coehlo could come up with such a unique quote on love.
Kaufer01
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaufer01.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kaufer01 »

I read the Alchemist several years ago and have read it a few times since. Every time I read it I pick up on something I had previously missed. I would encourage everyone to give this book a try.
vadakoot
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadakoot.html

Post by vadakoot »

Its a wonderful book encourages everyone to chase after their dream . Lines from this book like if your dream is sincere the whole world will help you to realise your dream give inspiration to thousands of children who is troubling with poverty and misery.
gemsbooknook
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemsbooknook.html

Post by gemsbooknook »

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book. I put of reading it for awhile but when I finally read it I loved it.
gadje
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gadje.html

Post by gadje »

This book was amazing. It was a simple sweet story with a huge positive perspective change for me. The message that it's all out there and all in here simultaneously still resonates with me and influences my everyday mantra of opening my eyes to my life's special purpose all around me.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I have read it....it's just an absolute classic. wonderful story.I felt that it wasn't just a story. After finfishing it...I felt that it had a power to change even aspects! paulo did an amazing job.there were some lines that gave me positive perspectives .it's worth of 4 stars.LOVE IT!
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I read this book a few years back but I must say, this is one of my favorite books. I think its ingenious. That ending? I never expected that! This book was the reason why I continued to read books written by Coelho.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”