Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

How do you rate The Alchemist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
57%

Total votes: 205

Elizabeth2015
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth2015.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Post by Elizabeth2015 »

This book was very good, and since it is so old, I've had the opportunity to read it through the different lenses through which I saw my own life over time. I find the book very accessible. It is written in easy language. It is the internalization of the concepts that is personal and evolves with subsequent readings. At least it did for me.

The story moves a bit slowly for my taste. I "got it" in fewer words that he provided. But hey, he's the famous author with many, many books to his credit. What I found most valuable is the affirmation of the message that the answer is within me. Experiences help to shape my path, but the responsibility for the destination of my life, in every sense of the word, is my own.
brucels5
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by brucels5 »

I give it three stars.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

Keep reading! I thought the same thing around the middle of the book, but the ending, the wonderful ending, is what makes it truly amazing!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I haven't read the alchemist yet, though I've heard a lot of good reviews about it and plan on reading it soon.
TRCDFamily
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 570
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trcdfamily.html
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TRCDFamily »

I highlighted so many quotes in this book. I thought this book really touched me.
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Voted! I read The Alchemist quite some time ago. The plot was interesting, the title intriguing. Overall, though, it was okay. I did find Coehlo's writing styles slightly boring, dry and flat.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
DeltaV4
Currently Reading: Orphan #8
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deltav4.html

Post by DeltaV4 »

I decided to give this book a read after hearing others refer to it as an "inspirational and enlightening" book. I had high hopes that this book will leave me in awe in some way, but I just couldn't sedimentally connect to this book. The plot was indeed interesting but it felt slow. If I had an analogy for this book it would be the following: A walk in the park... A nice and refreshing break from our busy schedules. If you're looking for a book that will leave a long-lasting impression, this book probably will not be it. However, if you're looking for a short and refreshing tale to finish in one sitting, then this is a great choice.
Hans08
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hans08.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett

Post by Hans08 »

I've read this back in college and I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this back as much as it was hyped to be. I don't know. There's something about Paulo's writing style that I don't like. It's like trying to hard to be something that just doesn't feel natural to me.
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett
MagElyx

Post by MagElyx »

Contrary to many Paulo Coelho lovers, The Alchemist was not the first book I picked up of his. After many recommendations from my friends, I finally subdued and read the book, and I was definitely not disappointed. I read it all in one sitting and all I could sing were praises. The book was very inspiring and motivational. It isn't often that I can find a fictional book that can impact my life that much. When I read that book, I wasn't going through a period where I was rather aimless in life, in between life stages. After that short 3 hours of reading, I really felt highly motivated to find my own "legend", and all I can say is... Thank you, Paulo Coelho for blessing us with such a treasure!
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I have known of this book for a long time but finished reading it only recently, and I'm really glad I waited, because I don't think I would have understood the book's message if I had read it during an earlier or different time in my life.

The message of this book is so beautiful; and I really do think we all have a purpose and a "personal legend" to fulfill, and we all probably already know what it is.

I thought the story of Narcissus in the beginning was interesting; the whole time he kept staring at his reflection, but the ocean wanted to see its own reflection through his eyes, implying that maybe God wants to see himself manifested through us, and maybe that's why we're here, to fulfill that personal journey/destiny.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
idreamofbooks
Currently Reading: The Mentor
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-idreamofbooks.html

Post by idreamofbooks »

I thought this book was excellent! I was hesitant to read it at first and it took me awhile to get into it but once I did, I couldn't put it down. And it is an easy read. I was worried that it would be very religious, which doesn't always appeal to me. This was spiritual. It was beautiful and there was so much I was able to take away from it and apply to my own life. It's one that I feel I need to re-read on a constant basis.
nreads

Post by nreads »

I read this book for the first time about 6-7 years ago and then recently re read it again. The first time I read it, I was thrilled. I thought it to be the best book ever written. I now think, although, it is a great read, it is not the best book by this author. I read quite a few of Coelho's books and I think "Veronica decides to die" is a better written book. Unlike "the Alchemist", the message is not chewed up and spoon fed to you, but beautifully written into a story line. It is very philosophical vs spiritual. I still enjoy "the Alchemist", but feel like it is more of an easy, fairy tale like book vs something that will challenge you and make you appreciate they way the author gets his point across.
Lisette

Post by Lisette »

I love this book. It's one of the few books that I can reread and enjoy. I was very surprised seeing that some people have left negative reviews so it made me realise that the book will be better appropriated if it's read at the right time -- probably when someone experiences a turning point in their life.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
I think this is a great book for young adults. It is both entertaining to read, and it carries a great message for people just starting out in adult life. The message is a positive one – one that offers encouragement. We can use a lot of that, these days.
Earlier, last year, a young man with the name of Michael Brown was killed by the police because, after robbing a store of some cigars, be took an aggressive posture when confronted by the police. From what I saw of Michael Brown on TV, there were two different people. One, a bright young man posing for family photos and the other of a large bully stealing from a shop owner. Remembering my own youth, I came to the conclusion that Michael Brown was simply a child that didn't have the chance to develop the person he would have eventually become. I don't believe Michael was murdered; he lost his life because he made some very poor choices. But of course, that should be expected from someone that age as I understand that the human brain really isn't fully developed until around the mid-20's. So how do we keep these people safe during this transitional part of life? Where were his parents during his adventures in that shop stealing cigars, or when he was stopped by the police? Was he taught that because he was black, the police were his enemy, or because he was black, his relationship with that community was adversarial? Wherever it came from, it is obvious that that was the message he received quite early in life. The great sadness is that he never got the chance to put that message in context with the whole of his life. With youth comes great promise and hope – beginnings. That is what he should have been taught; instead, he was put into a very dark place which lead him to die in the middle of a street. I've read somewhere that hate is an easy sale – a true statement. I blame those who peddle hate to those of us who are most susceptible to its influence.
I wonder if Michael's life could have taken a better turn if he was encouraged to read books like The Alchemist. The right book, at the right time could change a life.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

So I completely agree I loved "The Alchemist" it is one of my favorite philosophical books. I think it really helps when trying to make decisions in life. It also helps with understanding that there is a certain balance to life that you have to obtain in order to be successful, well -rounded and happy. In the novel Coelho does not just focus on one type of person or ideology, but instead how the protagonists developes and deals with different types of people. In general I absolutely love this book and I reread it every year.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”