Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

How do you rate The Alchemist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
4%
2 stars - fair, okay
9%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
54%

Total votes: 134

Sen_Suzumiya
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sen-suzumiya.html
Latest Review: The Michael Project by Louis T. Bruno

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Post by Sen_Suzumiya » 01 Sep 2018, 06:18

I read "The Alchemist" when I was 19 years old. I have to say it was a life-changing experience for me. The way this book is written makes you realize things that you constantly ignore. I also love how easy it was to read and understand it. Paolo Coelho is a great writer who wants to speak to everyone through his books. I totally recommend it, it will open up your eyes and make you a "better you".
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 15 Sep 2018, 03:58

I had read The Alchemist a while ago. When I had just finished it, it seemed to me a divine piece of literature. However, after the initial euphoria subsided, it seemed just an okay book to me as I found it too preachy.

Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones » 30 Sep 2018, 15:03

Interesting book, read it many years ago. Very inspiring, particularly its advice to never give up. “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”

Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones » 22 Oct 2018, 10:00

r_parker wrote:
05 Sep 2014, 12:18
I always felt strange when I head that classic quote, "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it." I felt angry that this supposed source of wisdom was offering false hope, knowing that it would be accepted as wisdom because it is what people want to hear.

After reading the book, I still feel conflicted about this central idea. It's a book that teaches trying, trying, trying when sometimes we need peace and acceptance. We have to know when to move on, and go in another direction. But at the same time, it's a beautiful book, and the power of trying and intuition is undeniable. The trail of meetings that Santiago has with people he learns so much from is also beautiful, and something I would like to emulate... we can learn so much from the people we meet along the way to our supposed destinations.
Interesting take. I guess it depends on your perspective. Peace and acceptance are often transitory things. Effort is often what is needed to get results. But I agree with you that the quote you cite can be misleading to those who would take it too literally.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”