Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Discuss the September 2014 book of the month, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

How do you rate The Alchemist?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
57%

Total votes: 205

Liz Alice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-alice.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Alchemist"

Post by Liz Alice »

I think this book is quite symbolic and I'll have to reread it a few times to figure it out. The story reminds me of a qoute 'sometimes it's not about the destination but about the journey itself'. Towards the end, it takes a 'what you were looking for is right in front of you' turn which was quite interesting.
The book to read is not the one that thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

This book got highly recommended to me, it received lots of praise, so I had high hopes. I was utterly disappointed when I read the book. I could not get into the rhythm of the story, I felt I had to finish it but it was a chore rather than a pleasure.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

It was a good read, no doubt. The metaphorical aspect balanced the literal, so it had this philosophical fantasy edge. I would recommend it to friends because it's weirdly similar to the everyday things we face, just in a wildly different setting.
szanta3030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-szanta3030.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by szanta3030 »

I had to read that book as a school project. It may be quite an unpopular opinion, but I actually hated it. I read only a half and fell asleep twice. I felt like its deepness was really fake and it was cheesy for me.
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Siriusly_blank »

This book is very close to my heart as it was gifted to me by my beloved sister. Apart from the emotional sentiments. The book is really worth a read. It isn't the read and forget types. It makes its own place in your heart. The storyline follows a young boy throughout his adventures. The book cases an amazing inspirational tale . It calls the readers to seek adventure and inspired them to follow their dreams
Kaivalya Khisti
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-khisti.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Kaivalya Khisti »

This was the very first Paolo Cohelo books I read. I heard so many good things about the book that I anticipated an out-of-this world surreal book. Honestly, I found it just okay, not worth the hype it has received. I think it will appeal most to the spiritual readers.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I read it after reading so many positive reviews and expected it to be a classic that appeals to (mostly) everyone. I was thoroughly disappointed, didn't like the characters or the plot. I don't think I would recommend it to someone unless they were really into spiritual books because it seemed to me that's a prerequisite in order to enjoy this book.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by Effie Cherotich »

This is one of those books that I would gladly re-read. I loved how the story is so different and the way the author infused biblical stories creatively. It's inspirational, magical, hilarious, motivational and thought-provoking all at the same time.
I think this is one of those books that everyone should read at least once in their lifetime.
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

I love the book. It's packed with a lot of wisdom for daily living. I have read it severally.
Keta_ki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keta-ki.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Keta_ki »

I would recommend The Alchemist to everyone who loved to dream and chase their goals. This book is magical and motivating. Although at one point it kinda goes a little off track, it is still worth it. Simply a splendid read for everyone.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I have recently reread The Alchemist. The first time I read it, I was quite a lot younger, and I must say that I did not gain much from having read it. It did not speak to me. However, this time was quite different. I feel I understood the deeper themes much more on my second read. I believe this is because I was in a different phase in my life the first time I read it. I often find that each time I read a book I understand it, and connect with it, in a slightly different way. To answer the question of would I recommend it to others to read - absolutely! It is beautifully written and can teach everyone something. What you will get out of reading it will depend on where you are in life.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

MrunalT wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 05:57 There was so much of a hype around the book that I HAD to read it. But I was seriously disappointed. I did not find the book all that great. It is a light read and short, so I was just glad I did not spend too much time on it. I think it is one of the most over-rated books, so I would not recommend it.
Hi MrunalT. I am sad that you did not enjoy it, but I am not surprised. I also did not enjoy it much on my first read. I think that was because I was not ready to learn any of its lessons. I recommend, take a few years, then read it again. You might be surprised. :techie-studyingbrown:
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

r_parker wrote: 05 Sep 2014, 12:18 I always felt strange when I head that classic quote, "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it." I felt angry that this supposed source of wisdom was offering false hope, knowing that it would be accepted as wisdom because it is what people want to hear.

After reading the book, I still feel conflicted about this central idea. It's a book that teaches trying, trying, trying when sometimes we need peace and acceptance. We have to know when to move on, and go in another direction. But at the same time, it's a beautiful book, and the power of trying and intuition is undeniable. The trail of meetings that Santiago has with people he learns so much from is also beautiful, and something I would like to emulate... we can learn so much from the people we meet along the way to our supposed destinations.
I also loved how Santiago learns from every encounter throughout the book. He thinks so deeply about things and always strives to apply what he has learnt to his life. 8)
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

cyndiha11 wrote: 22 Sep 2014, 18:20 I started reading this a scant six hours ago, and didn't put it down until it was finished. Now, I have a cup of very cold coffee on the coffee table, and some housework to catch up on.

I truly enjoyed the simple message that this book sends out - the fact that the universe conspires as a whole to help you with your Personal Legend, your journey to your best self. I love that!

All the people that Santiago, a Shepherd, meets throughout his journey inspire him in different ways to continue his quest for treasure and reach his own Personal Legend. The crystal merchant, the Englishman, Fatima; such important characters who offer their own insights into what life means for them.

To quote from the book, "This is why alchemy exists,' the boy said. 'So that everyone will search for his treasure, find it, and then want to be better than he was in his former life."

This book is an inspiration for anyone striving to live their best selves. It might make you think twice about some of the choices you have made throughout your life. Were you reading your omens, or did you ignore them?
What a beautiful post! You really captured the soul of this book in your words, and I can see that The Alchemist left a little piece of itself in your heart! :techie-studyinggray:
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

Finally read this book after all the hype. It was a good book, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

Return to “"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho”