Could you forgive a Nazi?

Discuss the August 2014 book of the month The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Re: Could you forgive a Nazi?

Post by Netvigator72 »

Alden Loveshade wrote: 10 Sep 2014, 21:31 I think many people do not understand the psychological effects of unforgiveness. I try to forgive people in my own mind for everything that upsets me. Refusing to forgive is holding onto self-hurt and can be psychologically unhealthy. In the mind and emotions it is virtually identical to hate turned inward. As one of my favorite authors wrote, "Hate is like fire; it burns those who hold it."

As for the Nazis, there's a tendency to turn whatever group people don't like into inhuman monsters. That's not only not accurate, it's dangerous. If you're hoping to identify a threat by looking for monsters, you'll likely never see the threat until it's too late. There were Nazis who supported their country, took good care of their families, and served their community. There were people who fought the Nazis who were selfish, cruel, and traitorous.

I've never personally had a problem with Nazis, but if I were to identify those friends I've been the closest to, many of them were and are Jewish.

I have had people who tried to destroy me and ruin my life. I forgave them--because I didn't want to burn myself.

-- 11 Sep 2014, 14:52 --

As I am new here, I should probably add a note of explanation. I believe very strongly in personal freedom if it doesn't stop someone else's personal freedom. I do not support totalitarian regimes, torture, or executions.

I do believe love and forgiveness work.
Very well said!
WildFern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildfern.html
Latest Review: So You're Not Supermom....It's OK! by JN Supermom

Post by WildFern »

helenWall wrote: 11 Sep 2014, 14:05 I think forgiveness when not given hurts the person who needs to forgive more, than the person asking for forgiveness.
This is so true, and something I think about often. I'm not saying I would forgive a Nazi outright, but I think, like someone else said, one would have to consider the circumstances and the Nazi's level of participation in Nazi acts. I do believe there were officers that were forced into it and did not want to participate in killing and suffering. Those types of people I may consider forgiving because people who truly regret their actions and want a new chance at living should not be forced to wallow in their misery and not get a chance to change. At the end, these were still people who were desensitized to brutality so much that they viewed certain groups of people as less than human. Nothing will ever make their actions okay, but if we treat people who understand their wrongdoings as if they will be rotten for the rest of their lives, treat them as if they will never be fully human again, then I think we become just as bad as the person we think they are.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

WildFern wrote: 03 May 2020, 23:17
helenWall wrote: 11 Sep 2014, 14:05 I think forgiveness when not given hurts the person who needs to forgive more, than the person asking for forgiveness.
This is so true, and something I think about often. I'm not saying I would forgive a Nazi outright, but I think, like someone else said, one would have to consider the circumstances and the Nazi's level of participation in Nazi acts. I do believe there were officers that were forced into it and did not want to participate in killing and suffering. Those types of people I may consider forgiving because people who truly regret their actions and want a new chance at living should not be forced to wallow in their misery and not get a chance to change. At the end, these were still people who were desensitized to brutality so much that they viewed certain groups of people as less than human. Nothing will ever make their actions okay, but if we treat people who understand their wrongdoings as if they will be rotten for the rest of their lives, treat them as if they will never be fully human again, then I think we become just as bad as the person we think they are.
I think this is a beautiful sentiment that we should all aspire to. Unfortunately, I have a really hard time considering forgiving people who took part in these kinds of horrible events. However, this post has inspired me to keep in mind that the context matters and that we can't continue propagating hate if we expect the world to improve.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Of course I would never forgive the Nazis. The SS was founded on a voluntary basis, so that all its members were well aware of what they were doing. It was the same with the Croatian Ustasha, and the genocide they committed against Serbs and Jews.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

Of course I would. What is healing without forgiving. Forgiveness lets you heal better as a person
Sunday Onuorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-onuorah.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Sunday Onuorah »

Honestly, I think it depends on the Nazi soldier and the circumstances surrounding his or her participation in the genocide. If he obviously enjoyed hurting and causing suffering, it would be harder to forgive him.

Return to “"The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult”