Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Storyteller"

Discuss the August 2014 book of the month The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult.

How do you rate The Storyteller?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
7%
3 stars - good, recommend it
47%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
44%

Total votes: 57

britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "The Storyteller"

Post by britt1125 »

For the most part i like this book. it seems to be a big thing now days for stories to not have "happy" endings. I haven't read a good book with a "happy" ending in a long time. but i liked this book.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

The Storyteller is actually the first book I have read by Jodi Picoult. I think it has a very powerful topic that evokes great emotion to the extent that some might not feel comfortable reading this. I, however, did quite enjoy this book. I think it was very well researched and the themes discussed give you a look at a side of human nature that we are not too often exposed to. Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:Wow, I really enjoy books like these because they question really important topics of humanity, and how people make such evil decisions. It is in the dehumanisation of the "other" that allows a person to perpetuate these crimes.

Really hollowing and emotional.
Its been on my TBR for a long time and I am going to read it next month but This quote of yours I think really shows the central point of the story
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

This is the first book I have read by Jodi Picoult. Usually, I don't read books like this. So why am I compelled to give it 4 out of 4 stars?

The subject matter and the way in which it was written completely invaded my mind. When I was not reading it, I was thinking about it. Much like Sage, I knew about the holocaust from a historical context, but I didn't know about it from a humanity context. The only connection I had to the holocaust is what I read in a history book for school. Reading this book, I felt as if my eyes had opened. I wanted to learn more and found myself reading and watching additional material to help my understanding. There are very few books that capture my imagination like this one.
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
jovanovi
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovanovi.html

Post by jovanovi »

I enjoyed this book, as I do with most Jodi Picoult books. They are well written, well researched and always leave behind a "what would I do" or "how would I react in the same situation..." feeling. This book was no different. I'd give it a strong 3 out of 5.
sammypt11

Post by sammypt11 »

I love Jodi and her moral dilemmas. Definitely picking this book up. Thanks for the well written review!
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html

Post by miztree46 »

This story was beautifully written. It helps people understand the horrors that people experienced during the holocaust. Although I didn’t see the point of Sage’s actions at the end of the story. I was surprised that the main antagonist didn’t have to go through a trial.
lovereadingxx

Post by lovereadingxx »

I really loved this book, have passed on my copy of the book to my son to read, it was a really hard book to read but sometimes those are the best as they provoke emotions, and the subject matter is so important to talk about so it isn't forgotten. Another good book I would recommend which in some parts tells a similar story is Sea Music by Sara Macdonald.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I've never read a book from the author, but reading all your posts I'll definitely put this one on my to read list.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Finished the book a few minutes back and I am struck dumb by the ending. It was not as I expected it would be and I'm not sure I like the way it ended. I know I'm gonna be spending days trying to get over it. But apart from that bit, I absolutely loved the reading it.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
nicoleponsi

Post by nicoleponsi »

The Storyteller is in my top 3 of Jodi Picoult novels. It can be a bit hit and miss with her .. but this was perfect. Dark and heavy, forcing to light issues and topics people don't like to talk about. It was the first book I've read about the Holocaust that really detailed the personal events of not just the persecuted, but of the persecutors too. It really makes you think. Definitely worth a read.
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

After reading this thread I have mixed feelings as to whether I want to read this book or not. But since I like to make up my own mind I will read it and then get back to everyone about what I think about it. Thanks for your opinions in the meantime though.
MelanieGordon26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melaniegordon26.html

Post by MelanieGordon26 »

This book sounds great! I will need to get my hands on it :)
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

I heard the Jodi Picult has gone down hill from her earlier writings.. Is this true? Because although I am a fan I haven't read any recent books so I haven't read this book yet after hearing that. Maybe I should just see for myself.

-- 16 Nov 2014, 19:46 --

Picoult- sorry!
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

ked this book, although some parts were tough to get through....definitely not light reading. The mark of a good book is it makes me think and stays with you after you've finished it. I would put this book in that category. Although the book dragged a bit in the middle, I want to applaud Jodi Picoult for tackling difficult subject matter in a fresh way. Using different perspectives, particularly the SS officer's, is an effective plot device in this book. I found most of the book absorbing. I read several books by Jodi Picoult over the years and generally felt that she was overrated. With this book, the author deserves entry into the club of great writers.

-- 03 Dec 2014, 10:26 --
bookowlie wrote:ked this book, although some parts were tough to get through....definitely not light reading. The mark of a good book is it makes me think and stays with you after you've finished it. I would put this book in that category. Although the book dragged a bit in the middle, I want to applaud Jodi Picoult for tackling difficult subject matter in a fresh way. Using different perspectives, particularly the SS officer's, is an effective plot device in this book. I found most of the book absorbing. I read several books by Jodi Picoult over the years and generally felt that she was overrated. With this book, the author deserves entry into the club of great writers.
OOPS...somewhere along the line, the first part of my post got cut off. It's a hazard when typing on my Kindle Fire :) I meant to say that I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. If there was a way to rate it 3.5, I would. I liked this book....(back to the rest of my original post)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “"The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult”