Allegaint Ending Question - may have SPOILERS

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Kaypea99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaypea99.html

Allegaint Ending Question - may have SPOILERS

Post by Kaypea99 »

Did you cry at the ending? I cried for about an hour! I was so upset! I couldn't understand how Veronica Roth could do that. However in a way that was a really good ending. If it had ended happily I think it would have been too much like Hunger Games.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I didn't cry but I was really sad at the ending. I was even a little angry but then after a while, when I calmed down, I understood why the author decided to end things that way and I actually think that was the best way for it to end.
I loved the character development in this book, almost all the characters grow up to be awesome and strong. I think Tris' death just solidifies Four's character development, throughout the novel it seemed like he was depending on her and now he has to learn to live for himself and not someone else.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Sarah_Khan wrote: 18 Aug 2016, 12:34 I didn't cry but I was really sad at the ending. I was even a little angry but then after a while, when I calmed down, I understood why the author decided to end things that way and I actually think that was the best way for it to end.
I loved the character development in this book, almost all the characters grow up to be awesome and strong. I think Tris' death just solidifies Four's character development, throughout the novel it seemed like he was depending on her and now he has to learn to live for himself and not someone else.
That's a really good way of looking at it. It does solidify his development. I wasn't really either sad or angry by it because it absolutely fits with her character and I think it wouldn't have felt authentic if it'd ended any other way.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Yep, I angry cried at the end. I understand why Roth wrote the ending that way, and I thought it was a great ending. Unfortunately I wouldn't re-read the series knowing what ultimately happens in the end.. I'm all for a tragic ending, but having my heroine die on me just makes re-reading her story pointless to me.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

I cried as well and found myself very angry at the ending of the book. I understand the message behind why the author killed off the main character but it still seemed unnecessary to me. I feel like the meaning could have been portrayed without Tris actually dying. But maybe its just because I hate sad books and am a sucker for a happy ending.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I did not cry but I was definitely extremely upset. At the same time, I understand why Veronica Roth wrote the ending the way she did. It shows how she is truly brave and at the same time how she is selfless and forgives her brother Caleb and risks dying in the process. It seems like an appropriate ending when you see it that way and shows how she is truly Divergent!
"Growth is the essence of life."
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

I am pretty sure I shed some tears at the end, which is difficult for an author to make me do usually. I guess I should give Veronica Roth props for that. I can't reread the series now but an author is justified to do what she thinks is the best path for the story I suppose.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I cried and was upset for days. I know people talk about sacrifice and bravery, but, I wasnt entirely happy with the ending.
Fifi_eve12
Currently Reading: The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Fifi_eve12 »

That part RUINED me!!! Most people think that killing off Tris was a huge mistake of Veronica Roth but, although it was upsetting, I can see why she did it- to get across the the message that we can heal after being hurt.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I was upset, though I did not cry. I think it was smart of Roth to do, but I still wish Tris would have had a happy ending.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I have a lot of trust issues with these authors. I'm always expecting them to do the worst. To be honest, I didn't expect Tris' death and was saddened by it but no, I didn't cry. I did find it sad in the end when Tobias scatters her ashes and comes to term with her sacrifice, because I relate so much more to grief than the actual death itself.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Hunger Games didn't really end on a happy note (Prim) but I get what you mean. Wouldn't the ending have been just as good if Tris was left alive? Maybe.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I cried like crazy too but I did understand why she did it. It is important to show that if you put yourself in risky situations there will be consequences and that battles have casualties. And most important, battles do not see anyone as the 'main character".
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I'm honestly tired of all the comparisons with the Hunger Games! Why does another series have to do the same thing as another, albeit successful, series? Come on people, it's about time we appreciated the initiative and fresh perspective.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I didn’t cry but was super sad. To this day can’t read the end of the last book again!

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”