Allegaint Ending Question - may have SPOILERS

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Kaypea99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaypea99.html

Allegaint Ending Question - may have SPOILERS

Post by Kaypea99 » 16 Aug 2016, 11:22

Did you cry at the ending? I cried for about an hour! I was so upset! I couldn't understand how Veronica Roth could do that. However in a way that was a really good ending. If it had ended happily I think it would have been too much like Hunger Games.

Sarah_Khan
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I & II EDITTED by Katherine Cardosi

Post by Sarah_Khan » 18 Aug 2016, 12:34

I didn't cry but I was really sad at the ending. I was even a little angry but then after a while, when I calmed down, I understood why the author decided to end things that way and I actually think that was the best way for it to end.
I loved the character development in this book, almost all the characters grow up to be awesome and strong. I think Tris' death just solidifies Four's character development, throughout the novel it seemed like he was depending on her and now he has to learn to live for himself and not someone else.

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Outdoor Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 15 Dec 2017, 16:26

Sarah_Khan wrote:
18 Aug 2016, 12:34
I didn't cry but I was really sad at the ending. I was even a little angry but then after a while, when I calmed down, I understood why the author decided to end things that way and I actually think that was the best way for it to end.
I loved the character development in this book, almost all the characters grow up to be awesome and strong. I think Tris' death just solidifies Four's character development, throughout the novel it seemed like he was depending on her and now he has to learn to live for himself and not someone else.
That's a really good way of looking at it. It does solidify his development. I wasn't really either sad or angry by it because it absolutely fits with her character and I think it wouldn't have felt authentic if it'd ended any other way.
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DakotaA » 24 Sep 2018, 09:10

Yep, I angry cried at the end. I understand why Roth wrote the ending that way, and I thought it was a great ending. Unfortunately I wouldn't re-read the series knowing what ultimately happens in the end.. I'm all for a tragic ending, but having my heroine die on me just makes re-reading her story pointless to me.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”