How did you feel about the end of the series?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: How did you feel about the end of the series?

Post by jesscat304 »

To be honest I was really disappointed in the ending, particularly in the death of a certain character. I also did not like the fact that the whole tone of the novel seemed to change, particularly Tobias who seemed to become wimpish in the last book. Although I did enjoy the rest of the series I just really wished it did not go on such a tangent in the last novel.
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

I was upset and emotional at the end of the series. I wish that the author would haven ended it a different way because after three great books, it just seemed like the ending did not fit with what I would have expected. Along with this, the futility of the main character's death is frustrating to the reader. I tend to reread books that end well, but this series is now ruined for me.
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

When I first read the Divergent series, it quickly became one of my favorites. The characters where nice, the world building was fantastic, and the story was simply wonderful. It has more or less 5 years since I read them. Looking back now, I'm disappointed with the ending. It felt incomplete to me. (And I'm not saying that became the ending wasn't 100% happy. Not every book/series needed a happy ending, in my opinion). I guess I wanted more out of the ending.
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Completely unexpected. Could not have guessed that ending in a million years. I know I am supposed to say Tis was sacrificing , but I was disappointed.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I didn´t like the ending simply because I felt there were many characters who could have helped Tris. I do think it wrapped up the series very well, but knowing how the characters will blame themselves and will find it hard to move on is upsetting.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

Don't get me wrong, I love the series overall, but I definitely didn't like the ending. The fact that Tris died, hit me hard. I get attached to the characters, so it took me a long to get over it.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I wasn't a big fan of the ending either, though my gripe is always with what the main characters do after the main character dies that's the issue and not the main character dying herself. For the movies, I hated that they simply left it how they did and didn't bother with the fourth installation.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I love the series but when Tris dies....Oh My God i still remember how i cried like a baby in the middle of the night reading it.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I felt like the ending was added as the final shock. Tris dying and the knowledge and it was essentially one big experiment. It doesn't exactly seem forced, it's just not what the majority of readers wanted.
Edna016
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Edna016 »

Sometimes you think you have it all planned in your head of how its going to go. Then you may be surprised or maybe you weren't and you thought the ending was predictable. I thought the ending was sad and I'm that person that gets attached to all the characters like that. So when that happened - it was just sad that's all I'm going to say.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

I loved reading Tris' adventures but I was not ready when she died
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Meghana Warrier
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: The Lost Hero
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghana-warrier.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Meghana Warrier »

The end was not what I was expecting. I didn't hate it but it wasn't my favorite either because they didn't all stick together and not all of them stayed in the Factions which is what I wanted. I also liked the last book as a whole, but it wasn't my favorite out of the three.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

It was a really sad ending, but not as disappointing as people have made it out to be. I like that she wrote Four afterwards as a little extra book that rounded it off quite nicely. I got quite emotional when he faced his fear of heights to spread Tris' ashes, it was very sad
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Reader 05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Reader 05 »

cogarae wrote: 08 Feb 2016, 10:08 The end of the series was not what I was expecting. I kind of wish they would've stayed in the factions and there was a different ending. I mean I didn't expect the factions to basically be being watched by outsiders. In a way it's kind of like hunger games.
I think the ending of the series was great because not many authors would kill their main character, making the novel/series an amazing read.

:techie-studyinggray:
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

to me, no one revealed the end. I was torn between surprise and sadness, which surprised me even more, as I generally do not get emotional over dead fictional characters.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”