Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
foxrunsforever
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by foxrunsforever »

I will always choose the book over the movie, regardless of how well the movie is adapted.
Malania

Post by Malania »

The book is better but both are great!
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I enjoyed both the books and the movie. I have to honestly say though the books were better, because of the detail. The movie just could not cover all the details and had to change things around for dramatic effect.
Lezer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lezer.html

Post by Lezer »

The book because I feel that the movie skips out on very important information that happened in the book. Since the movie is a book adaptation, the movie should atleast have majority of the key points that were talked about throughout the book.
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

Book! Always the book. There's so many more details provided. I always feel like people who only see the movie are missing out. When I watched theInsurgent movie I hardly remembered anything because of how different it was from the book.
jbrookeschroeder

Post by jbrookeschroeder »

Definitely the book for me. I think in this particular book there are so many important details expressed in Tris' thoughts and feelings that you don't connect with when you just watch the movie. The movie is great but I often found myself referring back to what happened in the book while watching the movie.
MadisonZiegler
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by MadisonZiegler »

I absolutely loved the book series and the movie. Compared to a series like twilight, the divergent series really kept my attention and kept my on the edge of my seat. And I was quite surprised the movie was actually pretty good compared to the book.. HELLO FOUR! ;)
Henal Jasani
Currently Reading: Metamorphosis
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henal-jasani.html

Post by Henal Jasani »

BOOKS! The minuscule of emotions and details that a book weaves is very difficult for a movie to capture. Although there are some movies that are pretty close to getting there but yet can't beat the overall supremacy of reading a book.
bysa
Currently Reading: Sammi
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by bysa »

While the movie was action packed and entertaining, I prefer the book over it. The book lets your brain set pace and your imagination is free to conjure the characters while the movie suggests or dictates the players. I prefer the vivid detail contained in the pages of the book over the condensed version typically portrayed on the big screen. I must admit however, the movie didn't disappoint as many others do. I was impressed with the motion picture and that is saying a lot as many movies miss the mark when they're adapted from books.
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I still like the book better than the movie but since watching the movie with my girls again and then rereading the book I can definitely see the details that were omitted. Some of those details if included in the movie would have given you a different feeling about the character and how you perceived their emotion
Vallary
Currently Reading: Cornerstone
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallary.html

Post by Vallary »

I prefer the book. They always cut things out of the movie. Or change it somehow.
Jackie Perrotti

Post by Jackie Perrotti »

Honestly I loved both. I read the book twice and watched the movie many times and will probably repeat this cycle in the future. Of course there are some inconsistencies between the two and pieces of information the movie left out, but for the most part,the movie parallels the book.

However, I would recommend reading the book first because not only will it give more detail than the movie, but it makes the comparison of the two more interesting!
ANCD
Currently Reading: Left Behind
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ancd.html

Post by ANCD »

I always go with the book first, then the movie. Especially in this case, because I find the movie does not provide enough detail to thoroughly enjoy the story.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I like both as well but due to them usually changing the good parts from the book in the movie, I prefer the book. Once they brought the book to life with the movie, I had expectations of what the characters were supposed to be when reading the rest of the series.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I liked the first 2 movies better but now that I've seen the trailer for the last movie, it seems like they changed a lot of stuff from the books so I'm not sure whether I'll still end up preferring the movie.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”