Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by BookSavvy90 »

In regards to the first one I liked both the book and movie. As for the sequels: BOOKS ALL THE WAY! Need I say why?
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
ChelseaL-25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseal-25.html

Post by ChelseaL-25 »

i preferred the book because i felt it went into more detail, and i also say Four a lot differently in my head, along with Tris. The movie was good, but i also felt that they played some of the scenes strangely in comparison with the novel, and left out some key points that were very important to the plot. I know that you cannot put every scene into a movie, but there were a few scenes i felt should have made it, and others i felt that shouldn't have. In total, the movie just didn't work as well as the book did for me, and i would much sooner read the book again than watch the movie.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I haven't read the other books. The first book wasn't as good as the movie. Tris was somewhat dull in the book. She has more personality and courage in the movie.
KimHG
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Little Black Gown
Bookshelf Size: 707
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimhg.html

Post by KimHG »

Book all the way. I just feel so much is lost in the movie and personally, I really don't like it when they change the plot, add or take some scenes I think are important. It just ain't the same and somehow the movie always ends disappointing me.
Raven Potter
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven-potter.html

Post by Raven Potter »

I like both, but the books are always better. They allow you to be more creative and actually use your imagination. I enjoy picturing things far more than seeing other peoples images. That's the thing that bothered me most with the Harry Potter series. Well I mean the spoilers were awful too, but still. Imagination is what makes reading fun. That's just my opinion :P
Shadowhunter123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowhunter123.html

Post by Shadowhunter123 »

I preferred the book, it was much easier to understand and the character development was much stronger.
Imoan_17
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imoan-17.html

Post by Imoan_17 »

Movie!
MontyQ
Currently Reading: Kushiel's Dart
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-montyq.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20

Post by MontyQ »

A book gives you more context, plus you can picture whatever actor or visuals you want like you're the director of the movie. But its fun to see a visual narrative of your favorite book, if done right.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
hoosiergirlescapes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hoosiergirlescapes.html

Post by hoosiergirlescapes »

I am one of those people who insist on reading the book first. But this time I decided to watch the movie first. I thought the movie was great and it definitely drove me to read the book, but after reading the book it made the movie ten times better. I don't understand how people watch movies and don't read the books only because there is so much mind dialogue that explains feelings. I would have to say the book is way better but the movie is still great.
tulipsatnight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tulipsatnight.html

Post by tulipsatnight »

For once in my life I liked the movie better. I felt like it highlighted what needed to be shown in order to get the book across. I often felt annoyed by the love story in the books, and the movie kept the love aspect simple and direct.
Lizann0513

Post by Lizann0513 »

I loved the book more then the movie. When i read a book i can imagine everything that is happening, the details in the book were beautifully wrote. Which held important details that made the book amazing. When you watch the movie it is good but details were missing and rushed. So the book is always my favorite.
missholls91086
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missholls91086.html

Post by missholls91086 »

I definitely preferred the book. The movie left out so many important details and left me disappointed. I always love watching a movie after finishing the book to visualize what I read but in this case, I felt like it was all wrong!
janejacq
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by janejacq »

I always like the books better, but in this case it made the book come to life and I loved it!!!! Of course you always miss somethings in the movie, but it was well done
ceg-reynolds
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceg-reynolds.html

Post by ceg-reynolds »

I NEVER say this but....the movie was better than the book. After I read the book, I actually had no desire to finish the series. Then I saw the movie and wanted to read the rest of the books. I have a rule to always read the book and then decide to see the movie. ;)
sterlingsilv16
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sterlingsilv16.html

Post by sterlingsilv16 »

Neither! The series, while the first is amazing, just ends up going downhill with the latter half of the second book. I read the full series and felt wholly dissatisfied with the series. In regards to the movie, the production qualities were high but the screenwriting for the film was not up to par and deviates completely from the book. If you are a fan of close book to movie adaptations, you will not be a fan of the movie. I stopped watching the newer movies because of the poor first movie. I am personally not a huge fan of the series (as I am sure you can tell) but the overall writing for both the books and the movies is seriously lacking.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”