Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
afrakes
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrakes.html

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by afrakes »

Always the book. :) I liked the movie, but the book was more captivating in my opinion.
Sloray689
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sloray689.html

Post by Sloray689 »

Book, definitely. I almost always enjoy the book more. There are more details that they have to cut out in the movie. The main thing I like most about the book vs movie is the way a book allows you to see into the mind of the character. You are privy to all their inner thoughts and,feelings while in the movie you only experience these things through the characters dialogue with others.
Reading4life332

Post by Reading4life332 »

I personally prefer the book over the movie because I fell it gives more detail and insight of the charters thoughts and why they chose to do different things. But the movie was a good repensantion of the book but you can't get everything into the movie because then the movies would be to long but I feel like the did a pretty good job at getting everything
I Read A LOT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-read-a-lot.html

Post by I Read A LOT »

Having read this series and also seen the movies I have to say they were both great in their own way. One thing, we as readers have to remember is, that everything we read in a book can't be in a movie. If that was the case it would be a very very long movie. Having said that I enjoyed the movie, but the book was better for me.
Jyak
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyak.html

Post by Jyak »

I honestly loved both the book and the movie, but I generally believe the book is better as it is able to contain much more information than an 1 hour and 30 minute movie. For Divergent, the character interactions between Tris and the others was much more prevalent in the books. The book also reveals Tris' personal thoughts and allow the reader to understand her character and decisions. So, personally I like the book albeit the movie was great.
Vogwenxtwin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogwenxtwin.html

Post by Vogwenxtwin »

I am a staunch believer in "the book is always better than the movie/show," EXCEPT recently, I read the Dexter book series (well the first three books, I think there are eight total) and wow. Those books go off onto an odd tangent very quickly. The show is much better. I love supernatural elements in almost anything but this was one series that absolutely did not need and in fact suffered from having supernatural elements. The show kept everything firmly planted in reality, at least in plausible, this doesn't defy logic reality. So 99 times out of 100, book is better. But it can happen. The show or movie can be dramatically better.
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I really enjoyed the movies, and I think Shailene Woodley is a great actress. I found some parts of this book series to be slow, but all of the movies were exciting (probably because they cut the boring parts due to lack of time). I'd have to say I enjoyed the movies more than the books.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
Rabecca Witzke
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabecca-witzke.html
Latest Review: "IInventedYouTube.com : TheREALYouTubeStory.com" by Eric Skaggs

Post by Rabecca Witzke »

I honestly hated the book. I thought it was a wishy-washy plot line and the characters had no depth. I haven't had a chance t watch the movie yet but I'm not sure if I will because the book turned me off....
Latest Review: "IInventedYouTube.com : TheREALYouTubeStory.com" by Eric Skaggs
sreeja karthik1803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sreeja-karthik1803.html

Post by sreeja karthik1803 »

Movie there is less room to imagination where as the books you imagine every single detail plus movies can't get all.the details in the books.
Harry potter series is a standard example
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I will go for books over movies any day. In this series the first two movies were alright as book adaptations go, but I absolutely hated the third movie and will not be wasting my money to see the fourth one.
Akita
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Akita »

Books in a heartbeat. Movies tend to leave out important details that the book had that wasn't put in.
Cb01uq
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cb01uq »

Book for sure! But I love seeing the movie after I read the book, having my story come to life!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I almost always prefer the book over the movie, but with this one I actually liked the move adaptation. I pictured the scenes much different in my mind, but once they were put to screen, I really enjoyed the way they brought the book to life.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

The movie did not have Uriah, thus -25 and while it was an easy watch, it didn't really do much for me and I found myself getting distracted while watching. Thus, I found the book to be better than the movie
My weekend is all booked!
Kaypea99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaypea99.html

Post by Kaypea99 »

The book!

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”