Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Hans08
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hans08.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by Hans08 »

I've read the book first before I watched the movie. Like literally a day or two before. The movie didn't disappoint me.
Latest Review: "Ghost Girl" by Stephen Hazlett
Maybeitsso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Maybeitsso »

I have the book, have yet to read the book (disappointing right?!) and somehow the movie has made its way onto my favorites list. I'm anxious to read the book so I can understand the movie a bit more. Several of my friends are die hard fans of both the book and the movie. I'm hoping I follow suit and love them both as much after I finish the book.
Malik_Diamond
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2961">The Book Thief</a>
Currently Reading: The Burning
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Malik_Diamond »

The book by a milestone. When the movie comes out usually we are super hyped about it and we walk in with our hearts in our hands and leave with disappointment. The book has so much more to offer. The movie leaves so many things out.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

If I view the two separately than I enjoy both of them. The movie did help a lot in the creation of that world in my head. The zip line portion of the book and movie is one of the main elements that I enjoyed in both the book and the movie.

Just like every movie it leaves out elements of the book that I loved. It also added and changed parts of the story line, which upset me. but, as I said. If you view the movie and the book separately then they both are very good.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I enjoyed the first movie and thought they adapted it well but I don't think it was better than the book. Also I watched the second movie and was very disappointed about how it was done.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
doyle5

Post by doyle5 »

I have seen the second movie. I'm not much of a movie person. I'm not sure I want to see it. People have told me over and over that it wasn't a good movie.
foreverreading
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by foreverreading »

I watched the movie before I read the book for Divergent, so I loved the movie more. Tris came to life in the movie for me more than she did in the book.
doyle5

Post by doyle5 »

foreverreading wrote:I watched the movie before I read the book for Divergent, so I loved the movie more. Tris came to life in the movie for me more than she did in the book.
That's very interesting. It's the exact opposite for me. I guess the movie kind of completed my vision of the world of Veronica Roth. So, I completely understand:)
BookerK
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookerk.html

Post by BookerK »

I enjoyed the book far more than I enjoyed the movie. The book explains the setting and circumstances better than the movie. I also like how the book is able to explain Tris' feelings and emotions, her struggle to fit into the society she was born in. The book had me completely engulfed, and I couldn't put it down. Personally, the movie was a big let down, but it must be because I had such high hopes after reading the book.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I like the book because there are more details and we get to see the inner workings of characters. We can read their thoughts as they decide their actions. In the movie, there were important bits that were cut out obviously and we don't know what they're thinking either. It's a movie so it's understandable why things felt a bit fast as well.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
specs468
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-specs468.html

Post by specs468 »

I would say book over movie any day. The book has so many more details and thoughts while the movie is quick and to the point. If you just want to be able to gossip about it, then the movie will do. But if you want to truly know the story then go for the book.
NurseArcher
Currently Reading: Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by NurseArcher »

I like the book more than the movie. The movie was good but they should have cast a different girl for the starring role.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I, like most people, prefer the book. Although the movie was adapted fairly well, especially considering how young adult novels are adapted, it still leaves some parts out. That is inevitable. The book has the advantage because it has a lot more subtle elements and more mannerisms and quirks to pick up rather than see what the screen is showing.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
Joyreader
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyreader.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Joyreader »

Book.Haven't seen the movies.Just saw a couple of scenes ,but for now ,I prefer books.Although I think the actress cast for Tris is a good choice.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Augustus Waters
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-augustus-waters.html
Latest Review: "A Case of the Nasties" by David Rowell Workman

Post by Augustus Waters »

I think that the movie is so much better if you read the book before you see the movie. There are so many things that are explained in the book and you wouldn't notice in the movie unless you read the book.
If you compare them each separately though I'm going to have to go with the book
Latest Review: "A Case of the Nasties" by David Rowell Workman

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”