A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Crazybud
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1238
fav_author_id: 19621

Re: A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Post by Crazybud » 23 Apr 2018, 07:35

The difference is that the Harry Potter houses don't exactly define a personality. You can be Slytherin and yet be loyal, but in the factions you are forced to comply to the rules and regulations of your faction. You are not allowed lie being a Candor.
I do see the similarities though. Seems like Veronica Roth got the idea from Rowling's universe.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic

BookishCoffeeBlog
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Eleanor & Park
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog » 10 Jun 2018, 03:02

Wow! This is a really interesting topic that I had not thought about before. When I first thought about this question, I thought there were no connections between Hogwarts houses and factions, however reading the break down of them, I can definitely see where this idea is coming from. I often thought of where I would fit, in the faction system, and I think I would be divergent, with prominence in Erudite and Amity. I can see how this can be a bit related to me being a hardcore Ravenclaw.

However, in both of these cases, it is not possible to be in multiple factions or houses but this is how personality works. I think these systems can be a bit restrictive for people who have different aspects to their character.

anwidmer
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer » 25 Jun 2018, 10:27

zjones99 wrote:
18 Jul 2015, 16:22
I get how you see a similarity, but to me I think it is just a coincidence. I mean those ideas are not original in creating ideas around them (intelligence, bravery, selfless, etc.) But that is just my opinion there could be more behind it.
I agree, i believe its coincidence, but definitely an interesting topic to say the least!

ahmaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by ahmaria » 25 Jun 2018, 19:38

I definitely see the similarities and the idea crossed my mind too. However, my take is that at Hogwarts, your house is given to you and is derived from who you are, consciously and subconsciously. However, Factions are chosen much later in life, and to me, exhibit what you value or aspire to be.
Also, in terms of drawing a direct one-to-one connection from Gryffindor to Dauntless and such, I don't think it's possible. The houses were made up of a group of characteristics, while the Factions are generally based around one.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”