A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Re: A Connection Between Harry Potter Houses and Factions?

Post by Crazybud »

The difference is that the Harry Potter houses don't exactly define a personality. You can be Slytherin and yet be loyal, but in the factions you are forced to comply to the rules and regulations of your faction. You are not allowed lie being a Candor.
I do see the similarities though. Seems like Veronica Roth got the idea from Rowling's universe.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

Wow! This is a really interesting topic that I had not thought about before. When I first thought about this question, I thought there were no connections between Hogwarts houses and factions, however reading the break down of them, I can definitely see where this idea is coming from. I often thought of where I would fit, in the faction system, and I think I would be divergent, with prominence in Erudite and Amity. I can see how this can be a bit related to me being a hardcore Ravenclaw.

However, in both of these cases, it is not possible to be in multiple factions or houses but this is how personality works. I think these systems can be a bit restrictive for people who have different aspects to their character.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

zjones99 wrote: 18 Jul 2015, 16:22 I get how you see a similarity, but to me I think it is just a coincidence. I mean those ideas are not original in creating ideas around them (intelligence, bravery, selfless, etc.) But that is just my opinion there could be more behind it.
I agree, i believe its coincidence, but definitely an interesting topic to say the least!
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

I definitely see the similarities and the idea crossed my mind too. However, my take is that at Hogwarts, your house is given to you and is derived from who you are, consciously and subconsciously. However, Factions are chosen much later in life, and to me, exhibit what you value or aspire to be.
Also, in terms of drawing a direct one-to-one connection from Gryffindor to Dauntless and such, I don't think it's possible. The houses were made up of a group of characteristics, while the Factions are generally based around one.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

It is similar, but, Harry Potter houses are less forceful and also, the sorting hat take your opinion into consideration for the decision. Also, no one who went to Hogwarts worried about being kicked out of their house.
Michael_Cries-a-ton
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Michael_Cries-a-ton »

Yes, there is a connection between Factions and Houses, as well as the Districts in "Hunger Games" and Roles in "The Giver" and even Hobbits of "TLOTR".

It is a popular theme to write about that encompasses the burden all teenagers and young adults suffer from; there is the social roles and expectations you are supposed to fulfill and the person you want to be deep down. Often this is resolved in the fictions by the Inner You prevailing and setting a new norm (The Girl from District 12 winning the Games, the little Hobbit saves the day..) but in real life, it's more likely to be reconciled by the compromise between Social roles and Personal ambitions. (Okay, more compromise of the Personal.) But you can see this would make a terrible story.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I can definitely see similarities between the two, but I personally think that Harry Potter houses are much better sorting categories. They cover a more broad spectrum and still allow people to choose their most definable character traits. Meanwhile, factions are more confining and previously defined. Everyone involved is made a more surface level character.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

I agree that there is definitely a similarity, I've even thought about Veronica Roth being inspired by the houses in Harry Potter. There is still a possibility of it being a coincidence.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

They definitely share some similarities. Both series have the houses and factions respectively based off personality and there are certain stigmas attached to them. There's also the label sticking with you as you went on. The houses in Harry Potter look at way more than just the personalities though, whereas that seems to be the whole point of the factions in Divergent.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

They do have similarities as you pointed out but it could be just a coincidence. I like the version of houses in Harry Potter because a person could have his own uniqueness and not just be a personification of a similar character in his house.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I think there are definitely similarities but separating people into groups based on personality or 'type' is a theme explored in many stories and thus probably a coincidence.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

Wow, I never thought about this comparison with the Harry Potter series. This is quite interesting!

For me I'd say:

Hufflepuff = Amity and Abnegation
Gryffindor = Abnegation and Dauntless
Slytherin = Dauntless and Erudite
Ravenclaw = Erudite and Candor

As you can see how I've ordered them, each house has traits that bleed over slightly into another house.
Nadine1357
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine1357.html
Latest Review: The Necessity of Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by Nadine1357 »

A also thought of Harry potter when ready divergent but as many have already said this can be found in many books in some form or another, segregation is a popular theme of the world.
Nadine1357
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine1357.html
Latest Review: The Necessity of Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by Nadine1357 »

Has any one noticed the similarity between Narnia and the houses, I think this is more noticeable even there colours the oldest brother is brave like Gryffindor, the younger brother of sneaky like slitheron the oldest girl is smart like ravenclaw and the youngest is sweet like huffelpuff.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

This was honestly my first thought about the factions when reading. It's almost like a clique - who you're for and against.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”