Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Tika229
Favorite Author: Linda Lael Miller
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 2970

Re: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Post by Tika229 »

I liked the Divergent series. To be honest, I hate how the last book "Allegiant" ends because there is a potential to continue the series, but I respect an author's decision. Overall, the Divergent series are good. I don't mind to read it again like I did with Harry Potter series. The movie doesn't won me over because there were some essential information missing in the movie, but hey you know how they said, "Never judge a book by its movie"
frostbite
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by frostbite »

I love this book I read it 12 times it brought my imagination to life I would read it over and over again :D
noseinabookbook
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noseinabookbook.html

Post by noseinabookbook »

Thoroughly enjoyed this whole set. Could have done with a different ending for Allegiant, but still enjoyed the series. I wasn't spoiled (luckily) because I read the series as soon as each of the books came out.
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I really enjoyed Divergent. My husband chose the book for me and after reading the summary I thought, why not. I'm really happy I decided to read it. It was a really good book. I love to read and reading should be relaxing so the fact that this book was an easy read makes it that much better. I also read Insurgent and I enjoyed it as well. It wasn't as good as the first book but I think it's a good series.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Enjoyed Divergent but hated Allegiant for the ending. After everything, it ended that way. That's like butchering the whole series. I liked Four and the insight it gave me. Allegiant was and will always be depressing for me.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I enjoyed this series very much. I have a friend who kept urging me to read it so I purchased the entire series. Unfortunately, as soon as I started reading it she started telling me all about it. Even with all of the "spoilers", I still enjoyed it. It was well written and a very fast read. I hated the end though, I mean hated it!
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
okbutfirstbooks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okbutfirstbooks.html

Post by okbutfirstbooks »

I like Divergent but I feel like Insurgent and Allegiant weren't that great. I felt like all Tris and Tobias did was fight and it was annoying because that's what they pretty much they did throughout the series.
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

Divergent series is like the Hunger Games for me. I liked it but was annoyed by the movie. The film didn't really capture the scenes I imagined from the book.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I have not read the books yet. I have had them on my Goodreads to-read list for months! I just haven't felt the need yet! Is there something wrong with me? Lol I have herd nothing but good things about this series. I guess I just have to suck it up and start reading! I will let you guys know what I think after book 1! I'll keep you posted!
cmh627
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmh627.html

Post by cmh627 »

I liked the first of the series, but felt the author explained herself too much. Those words could have been used to add more to the story, imo.
mrsdsclass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdsclass.html

Post by mrsdsclass »

I really liked this series until the third book. The first two books seemed to follow the same story line, but I felt the third, "jumped the shark", as they say in the television realm. Allegiant went on a very different tangent and I felt like the author had not mapped out the story fully before writing it. I don't mind the ending, I just felt like the story to get to it was not well thought about before being written.
okbutfirstbooks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okbutfirstbooks.html

Post by okbutfirstbooks »

I loved Divergent but I didn't really like the last two books. When reading Allegiant I had to keep turning back to see who's POV it was I got really confused
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I liked all three books in the series, one of my favorite series ever. I also saw the first movie and liked it a lot.
olyazhuk

Post by olyazhuk »

I loved divergent and Insurgent. Allegiant I was frustrated with, not because you know the ending (in-case I spoil) but because of the whole idea of them watching them and Tris had every right to be so angry I would to. But the first two books had my attention from the first chapter and I fell in love with all the characters.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

After seeing the Divergent movie, I was so stoaked to read it! I liked the choices the director made with the movie and the characters. I feel like the actors correctly portrayed the characters. Divergent is truly a great novel and movie. I like the feel this novel has. The characters are super real lie feeling.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”