Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
katyg98
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyg98.html

Re: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four. Any thoughts

Post by katyg98 »

I absolutely loved Divergent and Insurgent, read them both in less than a day! Then allegiant... I'm sorry but I hated it, it was the most disappointing end to a series I have ever read... I didn't read Four because I hated it that much! Sorry!
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I think a lot of people did not like Allegiant because Tris died. And that was really, really sad. But it made sense. At least the author didn't give up trying and give it a stupid ending like Hunger Games series. I have always felt that if Katniss had died I would have been way happier with the ending to an already crappy third book than the way she did end it.

The main character cannot always live and if it makes sense that they die, it is not so bad as having them live without it making sense.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

What do you think about Americans and stories with happy endings?

Do people from other places put up with sad endings better?
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
jawds
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jawds.html

Post by jawds »

I love this book series SO MUCH!

I haven't read Four yet, but that is only because I can't find the right edition to match my series!
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I really enjoyed this series. I haven't read Four yet, but I am looking forward to it. I felt like there was a lot to relate to and Tris was the perfect main character to take the series forward. There was a little bit of everything: excitement, betrayal, love, yearning, etc. I also really liked that the author didn't play by the "rules" and has Tris die at the end - I for one didn't see THAT coming!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Booklover_1999
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-1999.html

Post by Booklover_1999 »

I love Divergent and I have cried at the end of the serie. It's very cool written. It's a different world as ours but it looks also as ours and I think that's the most surprising :)
bkat99

Post by bkat99 »

I liked the fact that they widened the perspective in the later books so we're looking at an entire civilization and not just a community. I want to know more in depth on how the 'experiment' actually began. I am such a scientist I would probably be lumped in with the 'bad guys'.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I loved Divergent. I thought the characters were great and that it was so action-packed. Insurgent was decent. It certainly had a lot of action, but I thought that Tris made a lot of questionable choices in that one. Allegient I did not like at all. I was enjoying most of it, but the ending completely ruined it for me. I don't get why authors have to ruin a completely good series that way. Why can't they just make them have happy endings?
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I read the series, and I really liked it. I didn't love it, but I can understand why so many people connect with it. I just never connected with Tris in a way that made me miss her story when it was all over.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

I really enjoyed Divergent but by the time I got to Allegiant I was annoyed. I did not appreciate the ending...I felt that there could have been more closure with Tris' death. It just seemed kind of thrown together how it played out to the end. I still haven't read Four because I was so annoyed with the end of Allegiant. We'll see.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Jesska6029 wrote:I read the series, and I really liked it. I didn't love it, but I can understand why so many people connect with it. I just never connected with Tris in a way that made me miss her story when it was all over.
Yes! I just really didn't care about Tris by the end so it didn't bother me. I read the series after they were all out and was pleasantly surprised that I hadn't heard any spoilers about the end. This is one of those rare times that I actually like the movie more than the book. I think it comes about more in the second book, but Tris is a typical female main character that starts strong and then just gets so whiny and "why meeee" as the series moves along. I'm interested to see how the second movie keeps developing her character.
EleIIIV
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by EleIIIV »

All i can say is these books will truly open your mind and heart
weoo

Post by weoo »

The Divergent Series are amazing! The first movie could have been better, but the second movie was amazing! To be honest, I finished Divergent in 1 day! It's just irresistible! Four wasn't such a necessary book to be made, but I liked it. I stand by what some people say that the Divergent Series and The Hunger Games Trilogy are very similar. I enjoyed both series! Actually, I don't really know which one I enjoyed more! Veronica Roth is an excellent author and I think she should continue writing more mind-blowing novels. Some people said that Tris's death ruined the story, but I deny that. Hooray for Divergent!!
Ihyra
Favorite Author: None in particular
Favorite Book: None in particular
Currently Reading: Re-reading good old reads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ihyra.html

Post by Ihyra »

I was literally glued from Divergent till Allegiant...just couldn't put it down!
Read it one after the other non-stop! It was an E-Book so the result was: headache, eye pain, fatigue and dizziness as I hadn't eaten or slept for the whole duration :( :'( :(
Contrary to most people, I loved the ending of the series. It could not have ended better...a happy ending would have made things too unrealistic, besides it was good enough that Tris survived the "Death Serum".
As for Four, a better world indeed! ;)

-- 21 Mar 2015, 22:32 --

By the way the movie version was PATHETIC!!! :(
My friends told me that they forgot all about Al and there was no mention of the bullying squad...I didn't bother watching the film :)
Besides, Tris (movie) didn't match the book character! :(
Tigergal46
Currently Reading: The Help
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigergal46.html

Post by Tigergal46 »

I love, love, love this series! Tris Prior's search for herself through the whole story really resonated with me. I connected with her character on a personal level, she reminded me a bit of myself but she is more than I could ever be, I realize that she is fictional but Roth did an amazing job developing her character into someone that children and adults alike can relate to in the end. In addition, the ending of Allegiant killed me emotionally and caused me to have a book hangover for quite a few months. Any book series that can cause me to hurt with the characters is great in my opinion.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”