Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Does the bad always creep back up?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: Does the bad always creep back up?

Post Number:#61 by hannahbm13
» 20 Jul 2015, 13:53

I think that that is a very true statement. Not only do we have to strive to be good, but certain challenges that we may face make it very hard to keep it up.
hannahbm13's Latest Review: "Worm" by Erica S. Watson
hannahbm13

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#62 by Raksh
» 25 Jul 2015, 13:20

roguexunited wrote:Personally I think that idea is obsolete. Many authors have gone past the whole good and bad thing (back and white) and established that life isn't that simple, there are always shades of grey. So I don't think that back creeps out, it's always been there just as the good.

I think both good and Bad are inherently within us. Here I would like to quote from Harry potter where sirius explains to harry " We've all got light and dark inside us. What matter is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." And yes sometimes our emotions, situations ...etc...make us do things we would never normally do. and we all must accept that we all make mistakes and take wrong decisions.... :)
Raksh

Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#63 by The Book Reviewer
» 23 Aug 2015, 16:32

I think bad shouldn't be seen as something that poisons you; being bad is an essential part of life. If there were no bad parts of humans, would we be humans? We would not have the same emotions. Life would be boring and primitive.
The Book Reviewer

Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#64 by courtney8847
» 08 Sep 2015, 21:42

That seems rather dark, but to quote Mr. and Mrs. Baudelaire in A Series of Unfortunate Events, "Believe me when I say there is much more good in [the world] than bad."
courtney8847

Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#65 by Bookaholic14
» 02 Dec 2015, 17:04

I agree with this quote. If we assume that we are all born with a clean slate, no bias or prejudice, no judgment of ourselves or others, then it follow that those things "creep in" over time, as we grow up, as we are exposed to the "poisons" around us. We all have the free will to choose how, and if, we allow those poisons to impact who we are, and how they impact us. We either accept the poison and develop a bias or prejudice, or we reject it. Inevitably, it seems that there will always, to some degree, be bad things that will impact us and change who we are. I don't think we are necessarily doomed, but there is a little bad in everyone, just as there is a little good in everyone. I hope that the good outweighs the bad.
Bookaholic14's Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Bookaholic14

Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#66 by doyle5
» 31 Dec 2015, 01:32

Being 'bad' is just and important to human nature as being 'good'. But here is the tricky part. If you look throughout history and in the book Divergent itself, You will find that the 'bad' is people doing bad things for the good of mankind. Or that least, that is what the people doing 'bad' think they are doing.
If anyone here has taken the time to read the books Hitler has published you come to the unmistakable conclusion that he truly thought he was doing the right thing. It is the same with Jeanine Matthews. She thought she was doing what was right for society by destroying what was 'bad' about society.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
doyle5

Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#67 by Gravy
» 22 Jan 2016, 06:43

Scott wrote:The following discussion question was included in some copies of the June book of the month, Divergent by Veronica Roth.

Tris’s mom says, “Human beings as a whole cannot be good for long before the bad creeps back in and poisons us again” (p. 441). Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I have to answer this question by looking at it from a different point of veiw (though, admittedly, I didn't read every comment :shhh: ).
I think individuals can do much good, can even live their whole life and do no real harm, or even do great things.
People, the plural, groups, I believe the "bad" will always creep back in, I believe that's part of human nature.
How does the saying go? It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.
Just because I cannot see it,
Doesn't mean I can't believe it.
– Jack Skellington
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Too Many To List
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Monster High
Bookshelf Size: 863 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#68 by Taylor Razzani
» 20 Sep 2016, 20:52

100% agree! Maybe not all people have bad in them or at least different ways of looking at things that might create a rift in their society, but enough do that could overthrow any harmony that exists. The factions were created for peace and prosperity but each faction is somehow part of trying to disrupt that, maybe not Amity but I don't really know much about that faction yet having only read the first book in the series.
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#69 by David Nash
» 05 Dec 2016, 09:16

An interesting question. Certainly in the context of a novel you need conflict in order to have an entertaining experience. Conflict drives the story and having evil slowly work its way into the world is a theme that fills many, many books. You can also say that without conflict a book tends to be boring, more of a travelogue than a story.

In the real world I suspect that boring is a thing which we do not deal well with. Children get bored and do bad things to get excitement and attention. Acting out is not a philosophical concept, it's a reality. So in a world where everything is good, we as individuals would get bored and "act out".

I'd like to think that in an ideal world that acting out would be confined to mischievous acts, but the fact is that such things escalate. So in the end I suspect that she is right. If there were no bad things going on, we would create them. The bad, arising out of boredom and a need for challenge and accomplishment would drive us to evil. We do it to ourselves.
David Nash

Currently Reading: Anansi Boys
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 72%

Previous