Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post Number:#91 by sreeja karthik1803
» 07 Jul 2016, 14:44

Initially I thought maybe not , but later ones we have chosen our destiny we need to walk bravely in it. Tris did a remarkable job of that.
sreeja karthik1803

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#92 by Clifora
» 14 Jul 2016, 07:48

I think she did make the right choice. If you think about the limited choices of factions that are available, Dauntless does seem like the only suitable one for her- since she doesn't want it to be too peaceful, too honest, too "plain" or just too "education-based". She is brave and dares to risk her life and try out new things.
Clifora's Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Clifora

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#93 by Taylor Razzani
» 20 Sep 2016, 20:48

I think she made the right choice, even though it seemed crazy at first. Dauntless taught her how to be her own person and think for herself, which became useful as the story progressed. It gave her a sense of self that Abnegation was squashing so it was interesting to see her transform but still at times holding on to some of her old faction's traits that ended up serving her well.
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#94 by rachel_jacks
» 26 Sep 2016, 09:48

This is a tough questions since her character technically fits none/all of the factions, meaning she portrays qualities from all of them. As with all people, I do agree that her dominate traits are more in line with the Dauntless faction. Most of her decisions are based on what she thinks is best, not necessarily the most rational choice. While this could also place her in Abnigation, her actions often involve risking her life, making the tough choice, and being a B.A. I get the impression that Abgination, like Amity, is a very peaceful faction that would not be prone to deciding on such risky behaviors.

Throwing a twist in here: had Tris chosen a different faction, would she have made different choices? Perhaps, Tris's decision making was influenced by her desire to be Dauntless and fit into the mold of how a Dauntless should act. I am not sure that she ever truly embraced being Divergent and what that means.
Journey beyond the jacket.
rachel_jacks's Latest Review: "Lost Hope Canyon" by T.H. Maynard
Publishing Contest ~ 9 Votes ~ View rachel_jacks's Entry
rachel_jacks

Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#95 by Swara Sangeet
» 09 Nov 2016, 10:00

Though there is not a detailed description about it, Tris was definitely fascinated by the adventurous lives carried out by the people of Dauntless. I believed she followed her dream. She really worked hard towards being selected as well!
Swara Sangeet's Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Swara Sangeet

Currently Reading: If The Bed Falls In
Bookshelf Size: 208 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 7 Books
Goal Completion: 114%

Post Number:#96 by JCatSmit16
» 10 Nov 2016, 11:08

I can barely even imagine her in any other faction, unless she was undercover and playing the part. I felt Four put it perfectly when he said that while fear shuts other people down, it wakes her up. Her character was never more vibrant than when she was in the center of the action. Dauntless = the only choice
JCatSmit16

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#97 by Christine_B
» 17 Nov 2016, 22:34

When I read the books and even when I saw the movies I was super surprised by Tris' choice of faction. It's like a totally 180 from the live she had grown up in but I can understand if the way someone grew up was seen as a negative that they might decided to go the complete opposite as an adult. Just mho.
Christine_B

Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1970 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#98 by Taylor Razzani
» 21 Nov 2016, 15:18

Christine_B wrote:When I read the books and even when I saw the movies I was super surprised by Tris' choice of faction. It's like a totally 180 from the live she had grown up in but I can understand if the way someone grew up was seen as a negative that they might decided to go the complete opposite as an adult. Just mho.

It was totally surprising! But given her own doubts of her own character I suppose it makes sense that she made such a seemingly drastic choice.
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#99 by Kiisme
» 18 Jun 2017, 18:32

Tris made the right choice any other faction would have been stifling she needs some challenge.
Kiisme's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kiisme

Favorite Book: 12 Shades of Surrender
Currently Reading: Just one night
Bookshelf Size: 207 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 500 Books
Goal Completion: 19%

Post Number:#100 by Naval Aulakh
» 09 Jul 2017, 07:58

I think she settled on the correct group decision since she fitted into the Dauntless. Start changed her by making her more grounded, more courageous and more quick witted than some time recently. It arranged her for the uprising also.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Naval Aulakh's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Naval Aulakh

Currently Reading: Wrong Turn, Right Guy
Bookshelf Size: 47 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 75%

Previous