Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post Number:#76 by msterczala
» 26 May 2015, 14:41

I believe she made the right choice because it was that one she felt a strongest connection for, and she followed her instinct. It made her a stronger person in the long run, both physically and mentally. She was prepared for the uprising, and therefore could protect her loved ones
msterczala

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#77 by cittin5
» 26 May 2015, 19:54

I think by choosing dauntless Tris was able to learn to fight when she needed to. If she had chosen another fraction she never would have learned to defend herself and those around her.
cittin5

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#78 by abasto123
» 12 Jun 2015, 19:47

I think she made the right choice. Given her background and personality she wouldn't have fit in anywhere else. If she had chosen any other faction I don't believe she would have made it through initiation.
abasto123

Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#79 by DATo
» 12 Jun 2015, 21:12

When her hand hesitated before choosing Dauntless she was exhibiting the same cognitive response to decision making which appeared during the dream sequences. Being a Divergent allowed her to penetrate the fog of indecision and make the right choice. Though the characteristics expected of a Dauntless initiate were alien to her upbringing and former training (and we all know the hell she went through as a result) her Divergent "intuition", so to speak, made the perfect choice for her. So, to answer the question: yes, she made the right choice ... it was the only one she COULD make.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#80 by BColeman
» 13 Jun 2015, 13:06

I think she made the correct choice because without choosing Dauntless she would not have learned/applied what it means to be selfless. Without Dauntless Tris couldn't have become the fighter that we all have grown to love.
BColeman's Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
BColeman

Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#81 by meganxxcooper
» 01 Jul 2015, 08:05

I don't think there is a "right" choice for a divergent person. She was transformed into a person she'd been waiting to be her whole life, but she is still a part of abnegation.
meganxxcooper

Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#82 by zjones99
» 19 Jul 2015, 15:57

I think Tris made the right faction choice. She had three results Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. Well the Abnegation life was a major struggle for her, Caleb just joined Erudite before her so that may look too suspicious on the Abnegation faction, so that left Dauntless, which just happened to be where Tobias was.
zjones99

Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books

Post Number:#83 by hannahbm13
» 20 Jul 2015, 14:07

Yes. She always admired the dauntless and was very happy when she became one. Also, she was very obviously unhappy as a part of the Abnegation faction, so it was a good choice to leave it.
hannahbm13's Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
hannahbm13

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 77 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#84 by AlishaKennedy
» 02 Aug 2015, 20:33

Yes, I do believe Tris made the faction choice. She put herself out of her comfort zone, and did what she wanted instead of what everyone around her expected her to do.
AlishaKennedy

Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#85 by Supcoolfofa01
» 12 Aug 2015, 12:41

Tris made the right faction choice because it was in Dauntless that she met Four and all her friends. Choosing Dauntless was a huge part of the story and everything would have been really different had she not.
Supcoolfofa01

Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books

Post Number:#86 by The Book Reviewer
» 23 Aug 2015, 16:13

Yes, by choosing Dauntless Tris found out more about herself than she would have in Abnegation. She learnt how to be selfless when others were't, and didn't just have to be selfless because that's what people told her to do. She learnt how to be free.
The Book Reviewer

Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#87 by courtney8847
» 08 Sep 2015, 21:36

I definitely think Tris made the right faction choice. If she hadnt chosen dauntless, the rest of the events that happened in the books would have never existed.
courtney8847

Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#88 by RooneysReviews
» 11 Sep 2015, 15:51

After reading many reviews, I must say I am in the minority. I was rather surprised when Tris chose to be Dauntless. The descriptions of her family life at the beginning made Dauntless look like the worst faction to choose. I feel that her initial choice was an act of teenage recklessness. Of course she didn't feel like she fit in at Abnegation, but then teenagers never think they fit in anywhere. Having such a limited number of choices will never fit everyone perfectly, because people don't belong in categories. I do not feel that her be Divergent particularly impacted her faction choice and it was simply a young girl wanting some sort of rebellious change in her life. There are arguments that the book would not have occurred if she hadn't chosen Dauntless, but I disagree with that as well. There would likely be less excitement and certainly different characters, but she was still a divergent and similar consequences would result from that.
RooneysReviews's Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
RooneysReviews

Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#89 by Aithne
» 07 Nov 2015, 13:01

I think in the heart of the dauntless attitude their is passion and recklessness. All the other factions are harsh or more easy going. They don't have that spark for life and rebellion which I feel Tris had in spades. I couldn't have seen her fitting into any other faction, though none of them were 'perfect'.
Aithne's Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
Aithne

Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#90 by VinuW
» 10 Nov 2015, 13:54

Being Divergent, I don't think Tris has a "right" choice to make. Dauntless brought out the best in her, and in my opinion, it was the right choice.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
VinuW

Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books

PreviousNext