Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by BColeman »

I think she made the correct choice because without choosing Dauntless she would not have learned/applied what it means to be selfless. Without Dauntless Tris couldn't have become the fighter that we all have grown to love.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I don't think there is a "right" choice for a divergent person. She was transformed into a person she'd been waiting to be her whole life, but she is still a part of abnegation.
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I think Tris made the right faction choice. She had three results Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. Well the Abnegation life was a major struggle for her, Caleb just joined Erudite before her so that may look too suspicious on the Abnegation faction, so that left Dauntless, which just happened to be where Tobias was.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

Yes. She always admired the dauntless and was very happy when she became one. Also, she was very obviously unhappy as a part of the Abnegation faction, so it was a good choice to leave it.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
AlishaKennedy
Currently Reading: Frankenstein
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishakennedy.html
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich

Post by AlishaKennedy »

Yes, I do believe Tris made the faction choice. She put herself out of her comfort zone, and did what she wanted instead of what everyone around her expected her to do.
Latest Review: "Campaigns Against the Olden" by Anna Faktorovich
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

Tris made the right faction choice because it was in Dauntless that she met Four and all her friends. Choosing Dauntless was a huge part of the story and everything would have been really different had she not.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

Yes, by choosing Dauntless Tris found out more about herself than she would have in Abnegation. She learnt how to be selfless when others were't, and didn't just have to be selfless because that's what people told her to do. She learnt how to be free.
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I definitely think Tris made the right faction choice. If she hadnt chosen dauntless, the rest of the events that happened in the books would have never existed.
RooneysReviews
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rooneysreviews.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Post by RooneysReviews »

After reading many reviews, I must say I am in the minority. I was rather surprised when Tris chose to be Dauntless. The descriptions of her family life at the beginning made Dauntless look like the worst faction to choose. I feel that her initial choice was an act of teenage recklessness. Of course she didn't feel like she fit in at Abnegation, but then teenagers never think they fit in anywhere. Having such a limited number of choices will never fit everyone perfectly, because people don't belong in categories. I do not feel that her be Divergent particularly impacted her faction choice and it was simply a young girl wanting some sort of rebellious change in her life. There are arguments that the book would not have occurred if she hadn't chosen Dauntless, but I disagree with that as well. There would likely be less excitement and certainly different characters, but she was still a divergent and similar consequences would result from that.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

I think in the heart of the dauntless attitude their is passion and recklessness. All the other factions are harsh or more easy going. They don't have that spark for life and rebellion which I feel Tris had in spades. I couldn't have seen her fitting into any other faction, though none of them were 'perfect'.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Being Divergent, I don't think Tris has a "right" choice to make. Dauntless brought out the best in her, and in my opinion, it was the right choice.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
sreeja karthik1803
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sreeja-karthik1803.html

Post by sreeja karthik1803 »

Initially I thought maybe not , but later ones we have chosen our destiny we need to walk bravely in it. Tris did a remarkable job of that.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I think she did make the right choice. If you think about the limited choices of factions that are available, Dauntless does seem like the only suitable one for her- since she doesn't want it to be too peaceful, too honest, too "plain" or just too "education-based". She is brave and dares to risk her life and try out new things.
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I think she made the right choice, even though it seemed crazy at first. Dauntless taught her how to be her own person and think for herself, which became useful as the story progressed. It gave her a sense of self that Abnegation was squashing so it was interesting to see her transform but still at times holding on to some of her old faction's traits that ended up serving her well.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

This is a tough questions since her character technically fits none/all of the factions, meaning she portrays qualities from all of them. As with all people, I do agree that her dominate traits are more in line with the Dauntless faction. Most of her decisions are based on what she thinks is best, not necessarily the most rational choice. While this could also place her in Abnigation, her actions often involve risking her life, making the tough choice, and being a B.A. I get the impression that Abgination, like Amity, is a very peaceful faction that would not be prone to deciding on such risky behaviors.

Throwing a twist in here: had Tris chosen a different faction, would she have made different choices? Perhaps, Tris's decision making was influenced by her desire to be Dauntless and fit into the mold of how a Dauntless should act. I am not sure that she ever truly embraced being Divergent and what that means.
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”