Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by cyndiha11 »

I think she made the right choice. Choosing dauntless made her face her fears and become a stronger person. I also think that if she had chosen another faction instead of dauntless, she wouldn't have become the great leader that she is.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

Although Tris made her choice and it was the best one given the circumstances of her world, I did question if it was right. I thought it seemed very out of character to choose Dauntless in the beginning of the story. She seemed to be a better fit in another fraction. She went from a young woman who couldn't look herself in a mirror to a girl jumping off a train and running head first into a violent life style. It didn't seem to fit, and I didn't understand why she chose Dauntless. It didn't seem like she had any real prior want or need to be with them. She mentioned a few times seeing them around but it just seemed out of left field. Now, if she chose another fraction, it obviously wouldn't be the same story too. I just thought it was a leap.
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

I'm not so sure that dauntless was a good choice for Tris, but it was definitely the best choice for her. Each of the divergents had to find a faction where they could be "safe." Her mother chose Abnegation over Dauntless so that she could blend in, and Four chose Dauntless to escape from his father in Abnegation. However, even Four wasn't completely safe in Dauntless. He realized that there were problems in the system, and it wasn't easy for him to keep quiet. For Tris, Dauntless changed her: made her harder, more determined, but maybe a little more callus as well. Dauntless was a place where Tris could be the most daring, the most different, but really, no single faction is a good choice for a divergent.
Adurna101
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Favorite Book: Hidden Empire
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Adurna101 »

It was the most logical. In the position she was in, it was the only choice that she could've made. She needed somewhere to hide, but she obviously also needed skills. Which she'd get through her chosen 'faction'.
Aim to Misbehave!

Check out my Reviews at; http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
Stuck_inabook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stuck-inabook.html

Post by Stuck_inabook »

I think Dauntless was the only choice she could have made. She was pretending in Abnegation, and never could quite tell herself the truth about what she was made of. Her dilemma of course, was being Divergent. But despite that, she still chose well and seemed to grow as a person as she partook of the initiation process.
craftshley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

I think she did make the right choice. She was rebelling against her given faction and this rebellion alone was enough to put her in dauntless. She clearly has what it takes to be there, even if she is technically able to be put in all of the factions. She never quite fit in Abnegation, though, so that definitely wasn't the choice for her. She wan't selfless enough to be Amity nor was she dedicated to research enough to be Erudite, or honest enough for Candor. There really was nowhere else to go.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
lovebecka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebecka.html

Post by lovebecka »

I think she did, I love this whole series, and I have read the books 3 times already. I feel like she had no where else to go. Abnegation would have confined her too much and being divergent what choice did she have.
hersheyroxs
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Currently Reading: Legend trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hersheyroxs.html
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by hersheyroxs »

I believe tris made the right choice. If Tris didnt make that decision she would have been killed by the Dauntless like most of the Abnegation. Also she wouldnt have met four
hollirm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollirm.html

Post by hollirm »

I think in the long run, she made the right choice in factions, because it encouraged her to stand up and fight back. Plus, the faction that she picked helped her meet Four**hehe**. But seriously, Four, help her become a woman that would do what needs to be done, he helped her become who she needed to be. Four also gave her a confidant, someone she could talk to, turn to in need of help, and someone she could trust in a world where its deadly to be different, which she was. I think, if I was her I would have pick peace or selfless. This is because these two factions would have pretty much guaranteed her safety. Which would have ended up being the wrong choice, because any other faction, wouldn't have gotten her to become who she needed to be. And, also, wouldn't have made a very good story. ;p
lindac1_98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindac1-98.html

Post by lindac1_98 »

Yes, Tris made the best choice for her. I don't feel she would have been able to grow into a diverse person with a different faction. She was meant to be brave and victorious.
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I think she made the right faction choice, although I must say, I could not have done the things she did. But she needed to follow her instincts to survive and Dauntless was the best faction of the available choices for her.
bethanycain88

Post by bethanycain88 »

There would be no story if she hadn't chosen dauntless.
Sapphire1258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sapphire1258.html

Post by Sapphire1258 »

yes I think she made a great choice, yes it was scary and hard at first but she pushed passed that and grew stronger and now she's one of my favorite female protagonist !
Readwith_royella
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readwith-royella.html

Post by Readwith_royella »

I think it fit her just perfectly! She is so brave and courageous and she was never really scared of anything at all.. she was always ready to go first and take on the challenge or task given to her at hand, she always fought back no matter what !
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

I think that Tris absolutely made the right faction choice. Dauntless allowed characteristics to come out that she had to push down as an Abnegation. Becoming Dauntless set her free in a way. If she had chosen any other faction she would have had to continue to push her true self down and would have been so miserable in the long run. She was meant to be Dauntless.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”