Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Though there is not a detailed description about it, Tris was definitely fascinated by the adventurous lives carried out by the people of Dauntless. I believed she followed her dream. She really worked hard towards being selected as well!
JCatSmit16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JCatSmit16 »

I can barely even imagine her in any other faction, unless she was undercover and playing the part. I felt Four put it perfectly when he said that while fear shuts other people down, it wakes her up. Her character was never more vibrant than when she was in the center of the action. Dauntless = the only choice
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

When I read the books and even when I saw the movies I was super surprised by Tris' choice of faction. It's like a totally 180 from the live she had grown up in but I can understand if the way someone grew up was seen as a negative that they might decided to go the complete opposite as an adult. Just mho.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Christine_B wrote:When I read the books and even when I saw the movies I was super surprised by Tris' choice of faction. It's like a totally 180 from the live she had grown up in but I can understand if the way someone grew up was seen as a negative that they might decided to go the complete opposite as an adult. Just mho.
It was totally surprising! But given her own doubts of her own character I suppose it makes sense that she made such a seemingly drastic choice.
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

Tris made the right choice any other faction would have been stifling she needs some challenge.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I think she settled on the correct group decision since she fitted into the Dauntless. Start changed her by making her more grounded, more courageous and more quick witted than some time recently. It arranged her for the uprising also.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I think Tris made the right choice in factions, even if it was the most dangerous one. I don't think she would be the same person she ended up being if it were not for her choice of Dauntless. She also would not have had the same opportunity to save people like she does.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

She made the best choice for her by going to Dauntless. Initiation really allowed Tris to come out of her shell and just prove that she was as good as any of the other recruits.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

Personally, I think that Tris made the right faction choice for herself at the time. However, if she had been educated further about each faction and what it entailed then she possibly would have chosen differently, as she would have noticed that it would have been easier to hide her Divergence in a different faction. As the culture meant that the "test" was meant to tell teenagers which to choose, it never seemed to occur to anyone that anyone would need educating about their choice.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

For starters, she changes her name from the full length Beautrice to the abbreviated Tris. I got the impression that she started off as a girl unable to come out of her shell. However, when she joined Dauntless, she completely shattered her shell. I think that she made the right choice with her faction because she met Four. Overall, she changed entirely.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

She made the right choice, even though she was shocked to learn that was the one she fit in I think she knew that is where she wanted to be and where she was needed.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Yes she did. Instead of settling for the comfortable and familiar, she chose something she liked. That takes a lot of strength.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I believe it was the right choice and it advanced her character well. Seeing her in Abnegation would have nullified her character and made her into someone simple, but she would have been suffering as well. Honestly, I would love to see Tris in Erudite though. She is clearly intelligent, and it would have been interesting to see the story from behind enemy lines.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I think that being a Dauntless made her more callous. While it made her physically and mentally stronger, I think that she adopted a narrow perspective. Perhaps it was just bringing out those things in her, but as she tested positive for other factions, I think they could have brought out more admirable traits. Erudite would have made her smarter, although it would have also made her dehumanize others for the sake of knowledge. I think Abnegation would have been the best choice for her and would have brought out her best self.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I think she made a pretty good decision going into Dauntless. If she chose Abnegation she'd just be following in her family's footsteps. By choosing Dauntless, she became her own independent person.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”