Is it selfish of Tris to crave victory or is it brave?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 717
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: Is it selfish of Tris to crave victory or is it brave?

Post by csimmons032 » 22 Apr 2017, 14:05

It could be a little bit of both. Considering the conditions that Tris lives in, she has to prove herself worthy of the faction, which would include beating her competitors. The fact that she works so hard to stay a part of the Dauntless faction makes her brave. Tris was never allowed to be selfish in her old faction, which probably made her want to think of herself more when she changed. I don't think the other people of Dauntless have a right to be jealous of her when they want the same things. It seems like if they want it just as much, they should work harder.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Naval Aulakh
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh » 09 Jul 2017, 08:10

I think that it was a bit selfish but that is where is belonged.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Outdoor Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 28 Jul 2017, 12:59

Craving victory means you're craving to be better than others or feel better about yourself. So yeah, I'd say that is selfish. I think everyone has the right to feel jealous, it's what you do with that jealousy that matters. They are all sixteen so I find it hard to hold them up to the same moral compass I would an adult. I think I would forgive them if I was Tris. I just wouldn't do anything to change it.
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai » 08 Aug 2017, 14:33

I think it's bravery, she grew up in a faction that is timid and I think she was just trying to prove that she can be brave.

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 29 Mar 2018, 14:50

No, it’s not selfish to crave victory, the punishment for failure in Dauntless is to be made factionless which is terrifying. I would do everything in my power to avoid it.
Their rule that a percentage must fail was silly anyway, if the intake that year was particularly good, some great people would be pointlessly thrown away.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Crazybud
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1238
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud » 23 Apr 2018, 10:22

Success is always appealing, victory endorses success. Initiation was a challenge, it was a test of strength, will and patience. I see no selfishness in craving victory during the initiation. For a person in Abnegation, it might be considered selfish, but for a Dauntless it is necessary to crave victory. It actually determined how much she actually fit the title of 'Dauntless'.

Also, it is natural to be jealous of higher competitors in name of competition. But while turning the jealousy to hatred is when you need to draw the limit. If I was in her place, I definitely would have forgiven my fellow competitors, taking it in the right spirit.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”