"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by Yemurai » 09 Aug 2017, 08:14

It absolutely requires bravery to be honest, because there are somethings you would want to keep to yourself and for you to reveal that, it takes courage.

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Outdoor Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 15 Dec 2017, 16:20

I think it can take bravery to be all the things that are mentioned as the ideal for the other factions, but perhaps not Erudite, although I'm sure there is an instance I'm not thinking of when it would require bravery. I think I'd rather live in Candor than Dauntless - I prefer directness to backstabbing.
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 21 Mar 2018, 11:41

I think telling the truth all the time requires a thick skin.
I suppose a husband giving an honest reply to “Does my bum look big in this?” must need a certain amount of courage.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

BookishCoffeeBlog
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Eleanor & Park
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog » 10 Jun 2018, 16:18

I think this a very interesting question. I do think that it takes a certain amount of bravery to be completely honest. These people need to be aware of the repercussions of their words. I think both Candor and Dauntless are brave in their own way. I would not want to live in a society like Candor. I think of myself as a very honest person but I don't think I would like living in a place where everyone continues to say what is on their minds. I don't think that would be a particularly relaxing community to live in. I am under the belief that some things are better left unsaid, especially if they are going to harm another.

holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: A Little Lost A Little Found by HM Irwing
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 22 Jun 2018, 01:38

RussetDivinity wrote:
11 Jul 2014, 17:17
gali wrote:I think it must require bravery to be honest all the time, but Candor took honesty to the extreme.
I this was one of the points of the book, that each faction took itself to whatever extreme it could be. Dauntless took bravery to the extreme by becoming fearless rather than courageous; Abnegation isn't so much selfless as self-denying; Amity is peaceful even if keeping the peace requires drugging the population; Erudite prizes knowledge over all else; Candor took honesty so far that they didn't even recognize that small lies can be harmless or even helpful.

I think Dauntless is the braver of the two, simply because sometimes telling the truth can be a way of giving in. If the truth would harm someone, then it can be braver to lie. If I had to choose one of these two, I would probably choose Dauntless, because I'm a fiction writer and an actor by nature; I couldn't be truthful all the time. My being is set up around lies.
I agree with what you are saying. Honestly, I think I would choose Candor, mainly because I'm not likely to physically act and I can be very blunt.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant

Post by AmySmiles » 23 Aug 2018, 12:39

That saying may be true, but sometimes it goes too far. Also things are not always black and white even though we like to try to fit everything into this or that, so many other things play into what is truth and what is not. But it does take bravery to be honest when you feel a lie would be easier to tell.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”