"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by Books_are_Life »

I find this very hard to answer. I see what each of the factions in each other but the refuse to see that they are anything like the others. The best way to live would be to combine them in a way that works. I think what is considered brave is unique to each person and it is what doesn't come easy to you. If it is telling the truth, put your neck on the line, even thinking of other people instead of yourself or anything else.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I think Tris was right. It does require bravery to be honest all the time. With that being sad I think it requires a different type of bravery to be Dauntless compared to Candor. To be brave in Dauntless means to have no fear for one's own being, it's a lack of self preservation. That's not what bravery means to an honest man in Candor. They say the truth because they believe that being honest is the right thing to do. I don't think they are trying to be brave. I think that it would be harder for someone to come into Candor and lose the fear they had of being honest regardless of how it would hurt someone else's feelings.

I actually can see the appeal of joining Candor but I would never want to leave in a society where you had to choose where you belonged with these types of boundaries.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

Yes, I think so. Honesty isn't always harmless and not everyone wants to hear the truth.
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

It depends, if you were raised to always tell the truth, and that was the norm, I don't think it would require any bravery at all. BUT in our society to always tell the truth, that would require a lot of bravery.
Dauntless took bravery to a stupidity level, I mean, what the heck do they need to jump off the train for while it is still moving?
But, out of the two, Dauntless is the one with more bravery.
sflaherty42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

Dauntless is brave in the more physical sense. They deal with the fighting and stunts. Candor is brave because they tell the truth even when it is deemed unwise. It takes bravery just to live in candor and hearing the truth all the time.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I don't think I would personally like to join Candor - it is not easy to be completely honest all the time no matter how virtuous it is. Thus I do think it shows a level of bravery when one relinquishes their doubts about telling the truth to just tell the truth.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Post by toshilou »

I agree that always being honest requires bravery. And I'd HATE living in a place like that. Sometimes you just need to sugarcoat it.
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
chanelpo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanelpo.html

Post by chanelpo »

I do not think it requires bravery to be honest all the time. It simply requires the disposal of your public filter. I think the Dauntless is a braver fraction than Candor because although they might do it for the thrill the Dauntless faction members protect the lives of every other faction. These members go into the unknown in order to keep people safe.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I agree with this quote. Not everyone can be brave enough to be honest. Honesty may put you in difficult situations and you have to be brave to get through it.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Adurna101
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Favorite Book: Hidden Empire
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Adurna101 »

Each faction is brave in different ways, because of what is required of them, and their differing personalities. I do believe that it requires bravery to be honest. Certainly honest all the time. Honesty is something that whether we realise it or not, most people here probably (including me) suck at it. That little lie you told? Dishonest. Not correcting them, or confirming, so you don't lie? Still dishonest. Our very nature is to be dishonest, hide our weaknesses. So to be honest all the time, damn straight it would require bravery.
Aim to Misbehave!

Check out my Reviews at; http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
Gynxie_Masters
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gynxie-masters.html
Latest Review: "Jack Strong and the Red Giant" by Heys Wolfenden

Post by Gynxie_Masters »

I fully agree with this quote... In OUR society. It is HARD to put honesty out there for review and opinions of others. I think Dauntless is far more brave because they put themselves in physical danger and not everyone can do that. However, everyone can practice honesty. It's not as dangerous to be honest, especially in a society that expects that from you and are willing to forgive you because you are Candor and you have to be honest.

I think when answering questions like these, a person should be subjective. As I review I often am clouded by my views formed in this society versus thinking or emphasizing in their society. I also think that is why this book makes such an emotional connection with it's readers. Some situations are meant to floor you and pull you out of your modern society bubble and put the reader in a completely different setting, thought process, and different natural instincts.
Latest Review: "Jack Strong and the Red Giant" by Heys Wolfenden
quill_begotten
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Four-A Divergent Collection
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quill-begotten.html
Latest Review: "The Divide" by Richard Green
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by quill_begotten »

I agree with this statement. Especially in situations when honesty isn't wanted or respected by those around you. I do think there is a difference between being honest and spilling your whole life story to everyone so that they know all your personal information. Just because someone spills all their secrets doesn't mean they won't lie in the future. Also, there are different ways of delivering information and for the Candor it seems like they're more rash and abrasive when speaking the truth instead of putting things gently or politely. For example, let's say someone points out something sneeringly about someone's clothing when they weren't asked to share their thoughts, that is not only rude and unnecessary, but neither is it brave in my opinion. Rather, it seems uncaring and thoughtless. But if that same person had asked about how their clothing looked to the other and they had replied politely that it didn't fit right or whatever it be, that takes bravery to reply with honesty (on a smaller scale of course).
Latest Review: "The Divide" by Richard Green
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I think it's true that honesty requires bravery. Sometimes, people don't want to hear the truth. Sometimes people don't agree with the truth. So telling it, all the time, always, does courage, as you never know what response you will get. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in a Candor society. Sometimes the truth is hidden for good reason. The truth can be dangerous sometimes, and for the good of everyone I think some things are better left unsaid. However, I don't think that people in Candor are braver than those in Dauntless. They are each equally brave but in different ways.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

This is an interesting point in the book. I do believe that there are acts of bravery in practically everything we do. Whether is is to always tell the truth or rather to be selfless all the time. You must be brave to complete those acts/ choices thoroughly.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I absolutely agree that it requires bravery to be honest all the time. And if omission is seen as lying in the Candor faction, then I might change my mind about choosing it for myself. If to tell the truth means to hurt someone unnecessarily, then maybe that is also unnecessary bravery.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”